PDA

View Full Version : Broncos/Pats Courtesy Steve Mah

Scout
02-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Last updated at 9:41 PM on 03/02/07

Broncos lose heartbreaker in Regina
Moir's shutout bid ended with only 2:01 remaining in regulation in 1-0 loss to Pats

STEVEN MAH
The Southwest Booster

The Swift Current Broncos lost a heartbreaker in Regina Saturday night losing 1-0 the Pats. Overage Broncos goaltender Kyle Moir was looking to pick up his first win in seven decisions but had his shutout bid ended by Michael MacAngus with only 2:01 remaining in regulation.

The two teams played a scoreless first period in which the Pats out-shot the Broncos 17-7 and both teams went 0-4 on the powerplay.

The second period was scoreless as well but the Broncos held the advantage on the shot clock out-shooting the Pats 10-9. The Broncos failed to score on two powerplay opportunities and held the Pats off the scoresheet on their only powerplay of the middle frame.

The game looked to be heading to overtime when Regina's MacAngus beat Moir for his 13th goal of the season at the 17:29 mark of the third period. Regina outshot Swift Current by a 37-22 count including a 11-5 advantage in the final frame.

Moir lost his seventh straight decision in making 36 saves on 37 shots on goal. Moir came ever so close to picking up his 16th career shutout and fifth on the season but it was not to be on this night.

In the Regina goal Linden Rowat made all 22 saves to pick up his fourth shutout of the season and fifth of his WHL career.

The Broncos powerplay finished zero for eight while the Pats finished zero for seven on the man advantage.

The Broncos have now won twice and lost five times in the two teams seven meetings this season. The Broncos and the Pats will meet March 7th in Regina for their eighth and final matchup of the season.

The loss drops the Broncos to 24-28-1-2 and into a tie with Prince Albert for third place in the East Division.

The win improves the Pats record to 24-23-1-4 and leaves them alone in second place, eight points behind the first place Brandon Wheat Kings.

Next action for the Broncos will be Feb. 9th when they travel to Prince Albert battle the Raiders.

CHtoo
02-04-2007, 09:20 AM
considering we only dressed 18 skaters.
Makes one wonder.

transplantedbronco
02-04-2007, 09:50 AM
We had 20 players dressed with the goalies. How many guys were they supposed to dress? 2 goalies, 12 forwards and 6 d-men is 20 which is all you can have. Its too bad we lost that one but we are finally getting our game back. We needed the win there is no doubt but losing 1-0 is not that bad. At least we were IN games again. Keep it up boys.

Toswammi
02-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Watched tha game last night. It was a good one, one that could of gone either way. Moir looked amazing last night, wasnt fighting the puck or anything. Looked like the MVP. Sadly we couldnt muster up any offense past Rowat, but it was at least encouraging. Also Hoban looked good out there for the Broncos, thats always encouraging.

Scout
02-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Maybe we needed that brawl against Red Deer. It seems since that game we have been playing more as a team. Brandon and Regina are playing their best hockey of the season both only loosing 2 of their last 10. In Brandon we lost in overtime and in Regina we lost 1-0 with the goal being scored with 2 minutes left in the third. This shows me we can play with any team in the East and beat them. With the players coming together and sticking up for each other against Red Deer, maybe this team has finally come together as one. They need this week off for practice and for injuries to heal. It sounds like both Bortis and Tassone are ready to return this week from injuries so we should have a full line up Friday in Prince Albert. applause

Scout

CHtoo
02-04-2007, 10:56 AM
hmm. looked at the lineups and thought Regina had more than us.
A closer look shows Micheal McAngus rates two lines! dancing pi

Hopefully Kyle is back to his normal self and we take out PA.

Five Hole
02-04-2007, 11:33 AM
so we should have a full line up Friday in Prince Albert. applause

Scout

Does that mean the league has determined there won't be any additional suspensions from the game the other night? Even when a linesman had to go in the penalty box and work his butt off to try to restrain a couple of guys (I'm not saying they didn't have justifiable reasons for needing to be restrained)

not trying to start anything, just asking the question

Scout
02-04-2007, 12:01 PM
I doubt if there will be anymore suspensions to the Broncos. I was just as surprised R.J. was never suspended. If he was under review from the league to determine his suspension then i don't think he could have played in Brandon and Regina until a decision was made.

Scout

Five Hole
02-04-2007, 12:44 PM
I doubt if there will be anymore suspensions to the Broncos. I was just as surprised R.J. was never suspended. If he was under review from the league to determine his suspension then i don't think he could have played in Brandon and Regina until a decision was made.

Scout

Yeah, I think you're right. They would have done the TBD thing if there was a possible suspension pending some review process, and then you cant play until they make their ruling. I see there's also 2 Tri City guys with a 'To Be Determined' right now.

Reason I was wondering was, under 'normal' circumstances (say your everyday brawl without any kicking or whatever) and that stuff went on in the penalty bench area, you'd think there would be resulting suspensions?

Scout
02-05-2007, 07:05 AM
Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Monday, February 05, 2007

Gentlemen, start the playoffs.

The Regina Pats got a jump on the postseason race Saturday night when Michael MacAngus scored the game's only goal with 2:11 left in regulation, propelling the home side to a 1-0 win over the Swift Current Broncos before 5,210 fans at the Brandt Centre.

The victory broke a three-way tie for second place in the East Division between Regina, Swift Current and the Prince Albert Raiders. With 20 games remaining, the Pats -- playing their best hockey of the season -- are positioning themselves nicely for the stretch run.

"We've wanted one of these (playoff-type) scenarios," head coach Curtis Hunt said of Saturday's game. "It was a playoff feel. We needed that kind of a game and we needed to find a way to win. That's a division team we could very well meet in the first round. To me, that was an indication of what kind of series it could be."

Pats goaltender Linden Rowat stopped 22 shots for his fourth shutout of the season, emerging with a smile on his face after a nerve-racking goalies' duel with Kyle Moir.

The Broncos' netminder made 36 saves -- nearly stealing one for the visitors.

"That's definitely what it's going to be like in the playoffs," offered Rowat. "It was a battle. Moir played excellent. He gave his team a really good chance to win."

MacAngus had other ideas.

With time running out in the third period, Jordan Eberle worked his way towards the front of the net and fired a low shot that was stopped by Moir. The rebound came right to MacAngus, who shovelled it home from Moir's doorstep.

"That's what coach stressed between each period, keep going to the net," explained MacAngus. "It was a playoff game -- zero-zero up until the last five minutes. We both had our chances at times in the game but in the third period we turned it up a bit. That's what we needed to do. We got our chances and wore them down, I thought."

After such a stellar defensive effort, it seemed appropriate that Regina would seal the victory while playing a man short. The Pats' penalty killers were superb, holding Swift Current to an 0-for-8 showing.

Rowat did the rest, capping it off by smothering a shot from Daniel Rakos just as time expired.

"You kind of got that feeling in the second period that it was going to be a tight game," offered Moir. "Both teams played it like a playoff game. It was tight checking and (with the exciting finish) it was probably a good game to watch for the fans. It was a fun game to play in. Unfortunately, we didn't get a point out of it."

It wasn't for a lack of trying.

"I thought they played a terrific road game," added Hunt. "They kept us to the outside and Moir was excellent. For a while we were wondering if we were going to find a way, but the guys stayed with it."

EXTRAS: The Pats (24-23-1-4) have picked up at least a point in six straight games while Swift Current (24-28-1-2) has dropped six in a row. Regina is above .500 for the first time since Nov. 18 ... Pats LW Niko Snellman returned to the lineup after missing 22 games with a shoulder dislocation ... Pats RW Kaspars Saulietis (thigh) missed his second straight game. D Spencer Fraipont and C Justin Scott got the night off ... The Pats visit the Moose Jaw Warriors on Tuesday and play host to the Saskatoon Blades on Wednesday.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007