PDA

View Full Version : Moir moving in on WHL record

nivek_wahs
02-05-2007, 05:07 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=65aa791e-f217-4bae-a721-9ada0eb380aa

Moir moving in on WHL record

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Monday, February 05, 2007

Kyle Moir is sounding like a broken record.

Although Moir is just 12 games shy of matching the WHL standard for regular-season appearances by a goalie, he is much more concerned with helping steer the Swift Current Broncos into the playoffs.

If he does, the record should take care of itself.

"Obviously it would be special (to break) any record, but especially a WHL record," Moir said after his 36-save effort in Saturday's 1-0 loss to the Regina Pats. "It would be kind of cool to get, but I'm trying not to think about it too much. I just have to go out there every night and try to play well and build on it heading into the playoffs."

Moir has played 218 regular-season games during his five-year WHL career -- all with the Broncos. The 20-year-old already holds the franchise record for games played by a goaltender and, if he appears in 12 of Swift Current's final 17 contests, he will match the league mark owned by former Moose Jaw Warriors and Tacoma Rockets netminder Jeff Calvert (229).

According to Broncos head coach/GM Dean Chynoweth, attaining the milestone shouldn't be a problem.

"We're in a (playoff) race and he's our No. 1 guy," said Chynoweth. "I'd be very surprised if he didn't reach it, barring injury or something like that."

The fact that Calvert's record has stood since 1994 is a tribute to his longevity in the WHL. The fact that Moir has a chance to surpass it is a testament of his ability to maintain a high level of play throughout his career.

"He has been our MVP the last two seasons," noted Chynoweth. "(The record) speaks volumes to how much he has played and what we've thought of him. We still believe he is the guy who can carry us into the playoffs and hopefully a round or two."

With Travis Yonkman waiting in the wings, it was speculated the Broncos might unload Moir at the Jan. 10 trade deadline. It didn't happen, thus allowing Moir the rare opportunity to finish what he started.

"It's really special," he said of playing his entire career with the Broncos. "Not everybody gets to play five years with one team so it'll be special when the year is done."

As the countdown to the record continues, Moir is also creeping closer to the end of his WHL career. It's a bittersweet inevitability, one that he'd just as soon put on the backburner.

"Sometimes it's brought up that you only have 17 regular-season games left in the your career," he noted. "But you try not to think about that too much. Hopefully we can go far in the playoffs. I'm just going to enjoy my last couple months here."

The Broncos are hoping for a happy ending to Moir's career -- and their season.

"Moir has bounced back these last two games and given us the type of goaltending we need," added Chynoweth, whose team has lost six straight games, the last two by a single goal -- one via shootout. "For a stretch there, whatever could go wrong was going wrong, from the goaltender all the way out. We're heading in the right direction now but you have to work for those breaks. We went through a funk for about 2 1/2 weeks and I guess until you start putting up more wins you're still in it. But we are playing better."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007