PDA

View Full Version : Skills competition

longtimefan7
02-06-2007, 02:37 AM
Noticed around the league that many teams do a skills competition between the players. Looks like the guys have alot of fun doing it. Just simple skills like fastest skater, hardest shot, accuracy (shot and passing), etc. Wonder why the Rebels never do anything like this. I think the fans would love to come and watch the players compete for bragging rights on some of these challenges. What do others think about it.

SectionNDeserter
02-06-2007, 07:29 AM
I have never heard of any other WHL teams doing this, but I for one would go to see something like this.

transplantedbronco
02-06-2007, 08:42 AM
The Swift Current Broncos held one last night. If you guys can convince your team to have one do it. They are alot of fun for both players and fans. Their is a company that does them for the WHL cant remember the name but its a riot. Of course the NHL holds a better one but they have lots of money to do it. They have four competitions-fatest skatter, hardest shot, breakaway and shot accuracy.

longtimefan7
02-06-2007, 11:09 AM
I know most of the BC division does them as well as a couple US teams and they all seem to be pretty successful. Most oaf the time all money collected at the door is donated to a charity.

frontrow fan
02-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Sutter doesn't want a "booster club" for the team...why would he want to have a skills competition.. His main focus is on the schedule, and winning some games in order to make the playoffs... I doubt he would even give it a second thought!! although I'm sure there would be lots of people interested in it...it would be fun...but thats not what Sutter's into...

Tinner
02-06-2007, 02:00 PM
sometimes "its not about Sutter" that should be looked at. To me the jury is still out on my opinion about having a skills competition, but sometimes you have to look at and keep happy the people who pay the bills, the fans. If you could combine a deal like this with some sort of fund raising activity, I think it would be a great thing for the younger fans of the Rebs (maybe even some of us old guys).

hockey4
02-07-2007, 06:01 PM
not to spoil the idea, but heres my two cents. Knowing some of the billets quite well, this is the knowledge i have. there are edleast 2 rebels involved in the community every day, and soemtimes even more. this includes the school thing, the pond hockey thing, and i think they have a drug program too. There are also kids that go to school. I know they have a skate with the rebels night because i saw it happen last week. and after every game there is one player so sign autographs. So what these billets are saying is that these kids like there time off, which they deserve. And why is it that whenever another team does soemthing the rebels dont do, its pegged as a knock on sutter's style. A lot of teams im sure are lining at the door to see how the rebels do things and manage to get over 6000 every night, so really, maybe sutter is the smart one. These teams probably do that stuff to sell tickets. I remember about 6 years ago they had a family fun day which involved some one ice stuff, and i bet there were 500 people there, not worth it.

Scout
02-07-2007, 07:37 PM
The Broncos held the skill competition for not only the fans but also the players. If you saw how much fun they were having ribbing each other over who beat who and how relaxed they looked. Talked to a couple of the guys and they said that was the most fun they have had in a long time. Then after the skills competition the players stayed on the ice and had a skate with the Broncos. Alot of kids look up to these guys and to watch these kids skating, talking and getting autographs from their heros makes it well worth it in my eyes. I know our guys love being with these kids. Its not all about money here but letting the fans and kids see another side of the players.

Scout

hockey4
02-07-2007, 08:33 PM
The Broncos held the skill competition for not only the fans but also the players. If you saw how much fun they were having ribbing each other over who beat who and how relaxed they looked. Talked to a couple of the guys and they said that was the most fun they have had in a long time. Then after the skills competition the players stayed on the ice and had a skate with the Broncos. Alot of kids look up to these guys and to watch these kids skating, talking and getting autographs from their heros makes it well worth it in my eyes. I know our guys love being with these kids. Its not all about money here but letting the fans and kids see another side of the players.

Scout

If im not mistaking, and i could be wrong, but i think the rebels have a program where im guessing 10-12 times a year they go skate on outdoor rinks with minor hockey teams. Ive heard that from billets anyway. and there is also a skate with the rebels night which happened last weekend after the game. and also, after this topic was brought up, i checked the rebels schedule, and they play 2 games almost every weekend for the rest of the year. So im not sure when they would do it even if they wanted to.

tiny
02-08-2007, 08:52 AM
I know how tired the players are when they are asked to do the "Skate with the players" after a tough game. The players would prefer to just have their meal and go home but they stay for the kids. They spend an hour signing autographs and having their picture taken.

As an alternative, I suggest they have perhaps a greatly shortened practice, skills competition and a "Skate with the Players" on a day that they are less tired. This might happen earlier in the year because it gets difficult at this time of the year.

FreddieFender
02-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Further to Hockey 4's comment, the Rebels also spend time on outdoor rinks with Phys Ed classes from Elementary and Middle Schools. Through the schools, our Rebels reach out to a broad base of kids. The Rebels are great in this respect. As much as I like the idea of skills competition, I hope it would not come at the expense of involvement in school activities where the Rebels have time to interact with the kids. Believe it or not, these interactions make the Rebels better people too.