PDA

View Full Version : Strueby may live dream

nivek_wahs
02-07-2007, 05:24 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=21f30529-5b01-43fb-a0ea-2259b321ba06

Strueby may live dream

Greg Harder, Special to The Leader-Post
Published: Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Matt Strueby's career with the Regina Pat Canadians is nearly over, but that doesn't mean he's giving up the jersey.

The top scorer in the Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League is on the verge of signing a WHL contract with the Regina Pats, the same team with which his father Todd -- now a Pats' assistant coach -- began his WHL career back in the early '80s.

"I've always dreamed about playing with the Pats," mused the 17-year-old forward, who has been skating with the team this week. "It would be unbelievable (if that dream came true). I worked hard so opportunities (like this) would come. A lot has happened."

No kidding.

Strueby has opened some eyes -- plus a few doors -- by potting a league-high 33 goals in 37 games with the Pat Canadians this season.

The Regina native has received inquiries from several teams looking to secure his services when his midget eligibility runs out after this season. Among them are high-profile American university programs like Yale and North Dakota, plus B.C. junior A teams in Nanaimo and Penticton.

"It has been really tough (making a decision)," he said.

Although Strueby was a scoring star all through minor hockey, he wasn't drafted by a WHL team and didn't join the Pat Canadians until he was 16. In his rookie campaign, he finished with five goals and seven assists in 36 games.

Now a year later, those numbers are just another week at the office.

"It's not really surprising, as long as I work hard," he explained. "It's good to see I'm putting up the numbers."

Is he ever.

"Like I tell everybody, (scoring) is an attitude, and he has a good attitude," noted Todd Strueby, a 60-goal scorer with the Saskatoon Blades in 1981-82. "He's a really good offensive-minded player. He has really good instincts. When you talk about teaching stuff, there are just some things you can't teach. Matt has some qualities like that. He's a good natural player."

Although Todd Strueby sees a few familiar "tendencies" in his son's game, he's quick to point out that Matt is also "his own player." One thing that father and son definitely do have in common is size.

Matt and Todd both had growth spurts at a late age and are now virtually the same height. Matt is just a hair under his dad's measurement of 6-foot-2.

"Everybody says, 'Geez, he's a late bloomer,' " said Todd. "I say he has always been a really talented player. I coached him as a kid and he was always the most offensive player (on the team). When he got to be in pee wee I thought, 'I'm not gonna coach him anymore because everybody will think I'm playing him so much.' When he was in bantam, all the guys said, 'Geez, I don't know if he can play because he's so small' and I'm going, 'You know what? He's 13, 14 years old. I grew late too.' "

Matt's exposure to the game was also reduced because he elected to play baseball rather than summer hockey. His baseball experiences have been immensely rewarding, having represented Regina in the 2002 Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pa., and the 2006 Senior Little League World Series in Bangor, Maine.

Strueby wants to continue playing baseball as long as he can.

"Right now hockey is No. 1, but baseball would probably be No. 2," he said. "It's always something to fall back on I guess."

If the Pats have their way, he'll be busy for the next three seasons.

"He's a good kid, from a good family," offered GM Brent Parker. "He has been getting better and better and he can just flat-out score. He's committed to us and we look forward to him playing for our team next year."

With Kyle Ross and Garrett Festerling in their final season of junior eligibility, Regina needs another gifted offensive player to pick up some of the slack.

Although Strueby will be classified as a rookie, there is precedence for a player in his situation to contribute immediately. At the same age, Matt Robertson led the SMAAAHL in scoring last season with the Prince Albert Mintos, potting 35 goals and 62 points in 44 games. He's now the leading scorer with the WHL's Prince Albert Raiders (28 goals and 42 points in 50 games).

"Some kids are late developers," noted Parker, who identified Strueby's biggest challenge as putting some muscle on his lanky, 165-pound frame.

"With the growing number of teams in the league, more and more teams are looking at these late-developing kids. If you go back, Rick Rypien came into the league as an 18-year-old. Matt Robinson came in as an 18-year-old. Those guys are more mature players coming into your program, which allows them to have less trouble adjusting."

Strueby's other options for next season were enticing but, in the end, he couldn't turn down what he had right here at home. It also helps having his dad on the team, providing support and familiarity.

"He has always been there to help out," said Matt, who discusses each of his games with Todd. "He always knows what to do."

The Strueby family thought long and hard about which option was best for Matt's career. Todd sought advice from a number of friends in the game, including Boston Bruins associate coach Marc Habscheid, WHL commissioner Ron Robison and Pats legend Dale Derkatch.

In the end it came down to the choice they believed was right all along.

"Any western kid is going to say it's the best league and I firmly believe that," added Todd, a former Edmonton Oilers prospect who played 10 pro seasons.

"It would be an honour for Matt and it would be an honour for me to see my son play for the Pats. There can't be a classier organization. But he still has to prove himself. He still has to (show he can) play. You don't want somebody to commit to something where you're not going to be successful. But the more I've seen Matt play, the more I see the WHL (in his future). I think he could be a really good player for the Regina Pats."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007