PDA

View Full Version : McGeough joins 1,000 club

nivek_wahs
02-08-2007, 04:45 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=13b973ef-3e3e-42c1-9bcb-b97771fd6a95

McGeough joins elite 1,000 game club

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, February 08, 2007

Mick McGeough is still earning his stripes.

The veteran referee joined some elite company on Saturday night when he presided over his 1,000th NHL game -- a matchup between the host Calgary Flames and the Vancouver Canucks.

The milestone was recognized during a pre-game ceremony at Pengrowth Saddledome.

"It was a beautiful evening," said McGeough, who was back home in Regina this week during a rare break in his schedule. "I had the whole family there, a lot of my friends. We had about 45 people there. My bosses flew in from Toronto and New York. It was very, very nice. It was an excellent hockey game, too. Everybody I talked to said they really enjoyed it."

McGeough has been an NHL referee for 18 years, with his first game coming Jan. 12, 1989, in Winnipeg. He worked his first Stanley Cup final last spring.

The 1,000-game club among referees includes six other active members: Bill McCreary, Kerry Fraser, Don Koharski, Paul Devorski, Rob Shick and Dan Marouelli. Devorski worked his 1,000th contest earlier this season.

Fraser is the active leader with 1,623 games.

"There are very few of us in that 1,000 club," noted McGeough. "It's kind of nice to be there.

"I didn't realize this but back in the old days guys like John Ashley and John McCauley, they only worked 600, 700 games. There weren't as many teams and the travel was a little more difficult to get around."

McGeough's milestone isn't just a credit to his longevity in the game, it's also a tribute to the quality of his work.

"It's a performance-based industry and if you don't perform you just won't be there, that's all there is to it," he said. "It feels good (to reach 1,000 games), to be honest with you. Years and years ago I often wondered if I'd ever get to 500, now I'm at a thousand. It's a very special feeling."

McGeough, who turns 50 this year, considered hanging up his stripes following the lockout season on 2004-05. However, he has been re-energized by new leadership within the NHL's officiating department.

"The league asked me if I wanted to stay on (long term)," he explained. "I'm just going to take it year by year right now. I talked about retiring a couple years ago but we have a new boss, Steve Walkom. He's a really progressive thinking kind of guy and he demands a lot of performance, but that's OK. That's what I like. I'm sticking around because I'm good friends with him. I still enjoy the games, don't get me wrong, but I love the direction our staff is going."

McGeough has already committed to returning next season. After that, "we'll see what happens."

"I enjoy working with a lot of the younger guys now," he added. "I seem to communicate well with them, so I work with a lot of them.

"We're tying to get them ready to take over because it won't be long and we're going to lose five or six or seven guys, I would think. We have some really good go-to guys coming up. Brad Watson (of Regina) and Marc Joannette, they're really good officials. Andy Van Hellemond left this business as a Hall of Famer and nobody even knew he left. You're only renting the sweater for a while, so you make the best of it."

- - -

ICE CHIPS: The Minnesota Wild have recalled G Josh Harding from the AHL's Houston Aeros for the second time in a week after Manny Fernandez reinjured his left knee last Wednesday. Harding has served as the backup to Niklas Backstrom for the past three games. The Regina native may get at least one start during the absence of Fernandez, who could miss another three weeks ... The Washington Capitals have a new checking line. It comprises Regina product Boyd Gordon, ex-Moose Jaw Warriors star Brian Sutherby and former Calgary Hitmen standout Matt Pettinger ... Wild enforcer Derek Boogaard of Regina finished second in a recent ESPN poll asking NHLers to name the toughest player in the league. He received 20 per cent of the votes. Georges Laraque of the Phoenix Coyotes led the way with 56 per cent ... What's the deal with Petr Kalus? After getting off to a brutal start with the AHL's Providence Bruins, the former Pats sniper has nine goals in his past eight games. He now has 10 goals and eight assists in 27 AHL games ... The Montreal Canadiens decided against sending LW Garth Murray to the minors after he cleared waivers. The Regina product dressed in four of Montreal's six games after the all-star break.

(Centre Ice appears Thursdays.)

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

Soundy
02-13-2007, 02:12 AM
http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/The-Near-Sighted-Mr-Magoo-Poster-C10129651.jpeg
'Nuff said.

LifelongChiefsFan
02-13-2007, 02:29 AM
http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/The-Near-Sighted-Mr-Magoo-Poster-C10129651.jpeg
'Nuff said.

You beat me to it Soundy, lol. Couldn't agree more!

Soundy
02-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Classic McGeough:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrpxnkTlAKU