PDA

View Full Version : Moir Looking for Record-Setting Finish to WHL Career

2,5,andagame
02-08-2007, 07:26 PM
From CHL Prospects newsletter:

Kyle Moir has played a ton of hockey during his four-plus years minding the net for the Swift Current Broncos.

So much so that the 20-year-old from Calgary, AB, is on pace to break the 13-year-old WHL record for the most career regular-season games played by a goaltender.

As of February 7th, Moir, drafted by the Broncos in the 3rd round (50th overall) at the 2001 Bantam Draft, had appeared in 218 regular-season contests, leaving him just 12 appearances from breaking the long-standing record of 229 currently held by Jeff Calvert, who stopped pucks in Moose Jaw and Tacoma from 1989 to 1994.

The 6' 3", 199-pound netminder is also fast closing in on the all-time career minutes played by a WHL goalie. His current total of 11,914 minutes played is just 720 minutes, or 12 full games shy of the record held by former Seattle Thunderbirds goaltender Danny Lorenz - a record that dates back 17 years.

With 17 games remaining on the Broncos' 2006-07 regular-season schedule, and barring an injury, Moir has the chance to write his name in the WHL record books.

"I've been asked about it a few times, but I try not to think about it too much," said Moir of the possibility of eclipsing the netminding records. "It's in the back of my mind, and I know it's there, but I try and stay focused on the task at hand which is trying to help my team win hockey games."

To put together such a run takes resilience, stamina, the confidence of the team, and, of course, a bit of luck in avoiding injury. It's especially difficult for a goaltender, given the high pressure and wear-and-tear that comes with the position.

"I just try and take care of myself," said Moir, who has 82 career victories for the Broncos. "I've been lucky to stay healthy...I don't think I've ever missed a game due to an injury.

"Hopefully I can stay healthy for the rest of this season," added Moir.

While the thought of breaking such a record occasionally creeps into his head, Moir insists his focus is on helping his team, which is currently in a heated battle for playoff spots in the East Division.

"I though it's gone a bit better than expected for most of the guys on the team," said Moir about the Broncos' season to date. "I didn't really expect us to do so well at the start, considering we were battling for first in the division in the first half of the season."

The Broncos, who, last year, played in the Central Division, have posted a 24-28-1-2 record through 55 games and currently sit tied with the Prince Albert Raiders for fourth place in the East Division. While only four points behind second-placed Regina, the Broncos also need to keep a close eye in the rearview mirror as fifth-placed Saskatoon trails by only six points.

"From the outside, the (East) division probably doesn't look like a very strong division because there are a lot of teams around or below the .500 mark. But, each team competing within our division can win on any given night, so each game is pretty exciting to play," said Moir.

"Right now, we're just worried about getting ourselves into the playoffs and, hopefully, we can get on a streak to close out the season," he added.

Being in his final season in the Western Hockey League, Moir will soon have to pass the torch to the younger players waiting in the wings. Moir, however, has had the opportunity to get a glimpse of the youngsters who will become the future leaders of the Broncos. He certainly likes what he sees.

"We have some great young players from being able to pick pretty high in the Bantam Draft the last few years," said Moir. "Travis Yonkman is going to be a great goalie in this league because he's so athletic and has great skill. We've got guys like Cody Eakin, our first pick from last year, who could probably have made the team this year if he was old enough...he's going to be really good.

"We've also got a great group of defensemen like (Eric) Doyle, (Derek) Claffey and (Paul) Postma who are all going to be really good players," he said.

Having spent his entire WHL career in Swift Current, Moir will also take plenty of fond memories of the western Saskatchewan town with him when he moves on.

"It's really special playing in Swift Current," said Moir. "Being a small town, the Broncos are the big ticket. It's not like playing in a city like Calgary where people likely won't know who you are.

"Here, when you go out, people know who you are, and when you go to the elementary schools, the kids are always really excited to see you," he said.

Of course, Moir would certainly like to honor his Junior Hockey town by putting the team's name alongside his in the WHL record books if he can break the League's all-time mark for career games and minutes played by a goaltender.

"Knock on wood," he said.

transplantedbronco
02-09-2007, 06:11 AM
I think just as the storey said barring injury he should break the record. Down the stretch you are going to see alot of Moir. Being this close to it I think you have to though. Good luck Kyle, hope you get it.

Scout
02-09-2007, 08:55 AM
One of a select few to play his whole career with one team.

Scout