PDA

View Full Version : Raiders 4 vs Blades 1

Shortys
02-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Okay, So tonight I was looking forward to Klotz vs. Gauthier, But did that happen? NO! What kind of player is Gauthier? Klotz called him on at least 4 times! What did Gautier do? He went after Gillies, Menei, Geric, McCrae.... trying to get them to fight. I thought he was a tough guy, so why is he not stepping up to Klotz? :laugh:

Otherwise, the raiders D was outstanding tonight, we just could not seem to get past them. Holtby let in some week goals and was pulled, Zemlak took up the slack, only letting in one. At leat we were trying to shoot, and outshot them, but even though we outshot them we didn't work Derkert very hard. Canart and Freisen played a decent game as well, They will be a fine addition to next years D.

Sabes
02-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Okay, So tonight I was looking forward to Klotz vs. Gauthier, But did that happen? NO! What kind of player is Gauthier? Klotz called him on at least 4 times! What did Gautier do? He went after Gillies, Menei, Geric, McCrae.... trying to get them to fight. I thought he was a tough guy, so why is he not stepping up to Klotz? :laugh:

Otherwise, the raiders D was outstanding tonight, we just could not seem to get past them. Holtby let in some week goals and was pulled, Zemlak took up the slack, only letting in one. At leat we were trying to shoot, and outshot them, but even though we outshot them we didn't work Derkert very hard. Canart and Freisen played a decent game as well, They will be a fine addition to next years D.

Gauthier plays a lot of minutes for the Raiders, there is no real point in fighting Klotz since he is for most parts a 4th liner and Gauthier has beaten him already this season(I know it was early this season and Klotz only had a handfull of fights before then in the WHL). Gauthier has calmed down and isn't fighting everyone like he did at the start of the year and is playing top line minutes because of it.

Tidball
02-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Gauthier plays a lot of minutes for the Raiders, there is no real point in fighting Klotz since he is for most parts a 4th liner and Gauthier has beaten him already this season(I know it was early this season and Klotz only had a handfull of fights before then in the WHL). Gauthier has calmed down and isn't fighting everyone like he did at the start of the year and is playing top line minutes because of it.

Klotz started tonight and played 2nd line ice time for the majority of the game.

bladesfan25
02-08-2007, 11:14 PM
I think it really comes down to being outcoached, Molleken continually plays the same six forwards and four defencemen over and over, by the time it gets to the 3rd period the guys are wore out. He keeps saying we need more effort, but why not play all four lines pregressively throughout the game, and keep our guys in it for the entire 60 mins! Oh, Klots hardly played, and that's how it should be. No offence the guys only here for one reason, and that hardly gets done.

Dwight Schrute
02-08-2007, 11:26 PM
klotz took a regular shift tonight, could be a similiar player to ashton hewson if he works on his skating.
flatters asked klotz at opening faceoff klotz wouldnt. im pretty sure klotz was told not to fight tonight, and klotz didnt try to fight gauthier 4 times. mcrae stepped up, during a scrum after the whistle but that was it, oh gillies turned him down though after he nailed him full tilt from behind in the 2nd period
he should pay attention to sam klassen cause thats how its done. his his on flatters was a beauty and clean

patsrock83
02-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Klotz is a bum i bet Hellyer could take him if he wanted

Dwight Schrute
02-08-2007, 11:28 PM
I think it really comes down to being outcoached, Molleken continually plays the same six forwards and four defencemen over and over, by the time it gets to the 3rd period the guys are wore out. He keeps saying we need more effort, but why not play all four lines pregressively throughout the game, and keep our guys in it for the entire 60 mins!
same thing in pa anholt plays favorites, look at dowhay or trach for example, yet guys like elder or doucet or jurik or lamb are given all the ice they want

nivek_wahs
02-09-2007, 05:30 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=c92db6e7-e4c6-40cf-9de5-7a46d7220af3&k=67147

Raiders win smackdown
Raiders 4, Blades 1

Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Friday, February 09, 2007

The smack talk started before the opening face-off, but the Prince Albert Raiders proved better at backing it up.

The Raiders continued their dominance of the Saskatoon Blades with a 4-1 victory Thursday at Credit Union Centre. Prince Albert owns a 6-1 lead in the season series.

"We have a great rivalry here and both teams compete hard," said Raiders defenceman Mike Gauthier, who contributed an assist and plenty of spark Thursday. "Emotions get high sometimes and it's settled on the ice. It's a lot of fun to play."

The third-place Raiders (24-25-3-2) made the most of a 13-shot effort and pulled eight points clear of the Blades (21-30-2-1). Saskatoon remains six points behind Swift Current for the fourth and final playoff berth in the WHL East Division.

There were no gloves lost until the third period when Saskatoon's Chris Cloud came to a teammate's defence and scrapped John Flatters. Plenty of spicy moments preceded that exchange, though.

Flatters and Blades heavyweight Garrett Klotz jawed before the first puck dropped. Tempers flared further when, eight minutes into the game, Milan Jurik crumpled Saskatoon defenceman Joe Logan from behind.

Later in the first, Gauthier did his part to stir up trouble when he directed a snow shower into the face of Blades goalie Garrett Zemlak. Gauthier, the WHL's leader in penalty minutes, drew an unsportsmanlike conduct and Zemlak was left to pluck a clump of snow from his hair.

"I was just trying to grab the puck and I accidentally sprayed him in the face," Gauthier said coyly. "I didn't mean to."

Zemlak took over in the Blades' net with 5:26 left in the first. Starter Braden Holtby was chased after surrendering two goals on three shots.

Andy Smith of the Raiders opened the scoring just 38 seconds in. Gauthier didn't get much gusto behind a point shot, but the puck bounced off a skate and straight to Smith for a tap-in.

Ryan DePape increased the visitors' lead eight minutes later when his shot from the top of the circles beat Holtby through a screen.

"Teams aren't coming in here and beating us," said Blades captain Brad Cole. "We're beating ourselves right off the bat and that's the frustrating part."

Matt Robertson got credit for a third Prince Albert goal early in the second period. The shot changed direction and the puck rolled agonizingly slow into the net as Zemlak tried to get across the crease.

Ashton Hewson added an empty-netter.

The Blades, despite outshooting the Raiders 28-13, mustered just one reply. Ryan Menei netted his 30th of the season on a third-period power play. Raiders netminder Jesse Deckert kept everything else out.

"We did have 28 shots," said Menei. "But they were from the perimeter and you're not going to score on those in this league. We didn't pay the price in front to score those greasy, garbage goals. That really hurt tonight."

The Blades' penalty killers continued to shine. They blanked Prince Albert on three opportunities and have now killed off 27 straight penalties. However, Saskatoon's own power play has gone cold. The Blades are 1-for-16 in their last two games.

BLADE BITS: D Cameron Canart and D Jared Friesen suited up with the Blades for a third straight game. Both are 16-year-old call-ups from the Manitoba midget ranks. Saskatoon's scratches were D Teigan Zahn (broken jaw), D Bohdan Visnak (shoulder), LW Rastislav Konecny (broken jaw), LW Dustin Cameron (healthy) and RW Kenton Dulle (healthy). D Ryan Funk (inflamed pubic bone) is out for the season . . .

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007

Shortys
02-09-2007, 09:03 AM
klotz took a regular shift tonight, could be a similiar player to ashton hewson if he works on his skating.
flatters asked klotz at opening faceoff klotz wouldnt. im pretty sure klotz was told not to fight tonight, and klotz didnt try to fight gauthier 4 times. mcrae stepped up, during a scrum after the whistle but that was it, oh gillies turned him down though after he nailed him full tilt from behind in the 2nd period
he should pay attention to sam klassen cause thats how its done. his his on flatters was a beauty and clean

I don't know where you sat Danno, but I seen Klotz 4 times try and get Gauthier to fight, beaking him during play, at faceoffs, and after the play, all the ones I seen were in the 1st and 2nd period. On one of the times, I think Gauthier got mad and thats when he went down the ice and gave Zemlak the face wash. Maybe Gauthier was told not to fight. But my only question to that would be why was he willing to go with the smaller guys?

Tidball
02-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Klotz is a bum i bet Hellyer could take him if he wanted

Hellyer couldnt fight the Old Dutch junior Blade.(the 8 year old that gets to skate with the team prior to opening faceoff)

Tidball
02-09-2007, 12:48 PM

Yes Klotz took a regualr shift tonight. Flatters and KLotz were beakin eachother, personally i dont know who didnt fight who it certainly looked like 1 of them wanted to go. You could be righjt about Klotz not supposed to fight tonight. I THINK if you fight 3 times in 3 games you get some sorta fine or suspesion? But there were cases when Klotz was yapping at Gauthier, and i did see Gauthier shake his head. Bret Ward almost got into a scrap which woulda been awesome. He is a really good fighter and few people know it. He took on Depape in a good close fight, and gave Rumsey quite the shiner.

I guess we'll have to wait later for KLotz VS Gauthier, i sure hope it happens though.

howley
02-09-2007, 01:12 PM
March 16 and 17...mark it down. They have to go one of those two nights.

ProStaff
02-09-2007, 03:38 PM
I think it really comes down to being outcoached, Molleken continually plays the same six forwards and four defencemen over and over, by the time it gets to the 3rd period the guys are wore out. He keeps saying we need more effort, but why not play all four lines pregressively throughout the game, and keep our guys in it for the entire 60 mins! Oh, Klots hardly played, and that's how it should be. No offence the guys only here for one reason, and that hardly gets done.

Hey fellow Blades fan, There is a reason Lorne plays 4 D-men and the 6 forwards because that is all we have, we have serious injury problems. and Klotz should play more, a few reasons one, Guys won't hit our players from behind anymore, two with more playing time, he will make less mistakes and take less penalties because he won't feel like he needs be over aggressive and prove something every shift 3rd he isn't a bad player for being 6'6"

wango tango
02-09-2007, 03:54 PM
prostaff's right on this one. blades only have four experienced healthy d. ward, klassen, logan and cole. friesen and canart are midget players on loan so they only see a couple of shifts each game, and rightly so. the line of mccrae, hulak and menei is our only healthy full line. gillies, klotz and macaulay are healthy so they get second line time. crowley, wintoneak, geric, patterson, and cloud round out the other spots with varying effectiveness.

both teams were garbage last night. had prince albert played like they are capable they could have won it by 7 or 8 goals. had saskatoon pursued loose pucks in the first two periods like they did in the third they could have won it. the joy for the raiders is they get the two points, ugly, but they still get them. the raiders were given three of their four goals, one in an empty net, and two by brain dead goalie.

i looked at the wife and said it's a good thing we have the kids here tonight so i have to watch my mouth, otherwise i'd have been swearing at somebody for my money back.

Tidball
02-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Gillies Konecny Klotz as a line when Rusty returns.
Hulak Menei McCrae make up a good line
Cloud Wintoneak Patterson work well as a unit
Cuthbert Crowley Macauley work well with cycling Cameron, Dulle, and Geric as scratches.

Id keep Dulle in there more often then not to use his speed.

Dwight Schrute
02-09-2007, 05:58 PM
I don't know where you sat Danno, but I seen Klotz 4 times try and get Gauthier to fight, beaking him during play, at faceoffs, and after the play, all the ones I seen were in the 1st and 2nd period. On one of the times, I think Gauthier got mad and thats when he went down the ice and gave Zemlak the face wash. Maybe Gauthier was told not to fight. But my only question to that would be why was he willing to go with the smaller guys?
did this facewash you speak of occur hen gauthier got a 2 min minor for unsprtsmanlike ? cause if so it wasnt a facewash (or you have a poor opinion of it) it was for something he said to the refferee. how do i know ? i sat in section n right to the left of holtby. and to be honest i was watching and hoping for a fight between gauthier and klotz and paid very close attention whenever either was on the ice. now flatters on the otherhand tried to at the opening faceoff.

Dwight Schrute
02-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Hellyer couldnt fight the Old Dutch junior Blade.(the 8 year old that gets to skate with the team prior to opening faceoff)
while i agree that hellyer is no fighter he fought vann this year in practice, and he beat panchyshyn , and he also beat cloud (last season i believe) i dont think he could beat cloud again but give him a lil more credit

Tidball
02-09-2007, 06:48 PM
while i agree that hellyer is no fighter he fought vann this year in practice, and he beat panchyshyn , and he also beat cloud (last season i believe) i dont think he could beat cloud again but give him a lil more credit

Lol i saw that tilt id give it a draw. Props to Hellyer for fighting Cloud but come on man, that was a decent scrap with a draw.

Thats interesting that he fought Vann in practise. I didnt see the Panchyson fight, was it when Panchyson was with the Blades, Ice, or Hurricanes? Panchyson i believe that would be his only fight. Not sure.

Tidball
02-09-2007, 06:49 PM
How after Raider games theres always an after brawl with the fans on both forums. Lol i love the rivarly between players AND fans. Im glad the Blades have a set rival, just makes for a good spirited game EVERY time these guys meet. applause

Shortys
02-09-2007, 07:26 PM
did this facewash you speak of occur hen gauthier got a 2 min minor for unsprtsmanlike ? cause if so it wasnt a facewash (or you have a poor opinion of it) it was for something he said to the refferee. how do i know ? i sat in section n right to the left of holtby. and to be honest i was watching and hoping for a fight between gauthier and klotz and paid very close attention whenever either was on the ice. now flatters on the otherhand tried to at the opening faceoff.

Hahaha, you are too funny Danno! :laugh: So skating from one end of the ice to the other and spraying ice/snow up into a downed goalies face is called what? THAT is what the 2 minute unsportsman was for. Read the star phoenix write-up in this thread. ;)

Shortys
02-09-2007, 07:36 PM
How after Raider games theres always an after brawl with the fans on both forums. Lol i love the rivarly between players AND fans. Im glad the Blades have a set rival, just makes for a good spirited game EVERY time these guys meet. applause

Agreed. It is a pretty good rivalry, but we always have to remember that it is just a game.
One story I have about Raider fans was from a couple years ago in the playoffs where they swept us. A couple of us went up there for a game, and we were actually scared at some points of their fans. They were wild and almost to the point of going overboard with the Saskatoon fans. Plus they had brooms! :D All good fun though.

Dwight Schrute
02-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Hahaha, you are too funny Danno! :laugh: So skating from one end of the ice to the other and spraying ice/snow up into a downed goalies face is called what? THAT is what the 2 minute unsportsman was for. Read the star phoenix write-up in this thread. ;)
did read the article. funny how some things get called like that and others not.

Shortys
02-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Very true. the reffing this year has been horrible imo. You never know what the call will be on the play. Come on P.A, you gotta win over Swift tonight!

Dwight Schrute
02-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Very true. the reffing this year has been horrible imo. You never know what the call will be on the play. Come on P.A, you gotta win over Swift tonight!
too bad just to spite the blades the raiders will lose tonight. jk games already over

GBG BLEED BLUE
02-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Ok I was trying very hard not to post in this thread but I could not resist now,ya sure we all have out own opinions about Klotz/Gautier,and it was a shame that they did not drop the gloves,I am sure some of it had something to do with one of Gauthier or Klotz being told not to fight,or maybe not.

I am going to say this though,Gauthier thinks he is tough for going after guys like Gillies,Menei,Geric and McCrae,and sure he has fought some tough guys this season,but if he is going to continue pulling stunts like that I would hope that someone would teach him a lesson (it probably won't be Klotz though,and NOT because Klotz does not want to fight Gauthier.)

GBG BLEED BLUE
02-09-2007, 11:11 PM
are you serious? you cant remember if Gauthier faught Klotz?? read up I bet its posted on this site 300 times.
Yes it most likely is and I do not really pay attention to small things like that(unless it was a good fight,which it probably was) part of the reason was that PA's defence played well,so did Deckert(he should have stayed in the BCHL) and the Blades only had 14 shots on goal. Ok enough with the excuses, I do not know if we will see a Klotz VS Gauthier tilt again.

Oh how I love this rivalry.

Shortys
02-09-2007, 11:23 PM
Yes it most likely is and I do not really pay attention to small things like that(unless it was a good fight,which it probably was) part of the reason was that PA's defence played well,so did Deckert(he should have stayed in the BCHL) and the Blades only had 14 shots on goal. Ok enough with the excuses, I do not know if we will see a Klotz VS Gauthier tilt again.

Oh how I love this rivalry.

Shots on goal were actually Blades-28 Raiders-14. We finally outshot the oppenent for once, but all our shots were pretty weak. Deckert did not have to play hard at all for any of the shots really, except for the odd good one. It was mostly their D that blocked most of our shots and kept us in the corners. I think that in one of our home and home season enders will be our annual brawl and we will get to see Klotz vs Gauthier again. yeehoo

howley
02-10-2007, 02:00 AM
deckert should have stayed in the bchl? I'll let the raider fans go after you on that one.