PDA

View Full Version : WHL and Smaller Markets

transplantedbronco
02-09-2007, 10:50 AM
I think the WHL should bring back the All-Star game and allow the smaller markets a chance to host. I know here in Swift Current we will never see the Memorial Cup, but why not have an All-Star game again. The OHL and QMJHL both have one. It would be away to allow the small markets who have made the league what it is to host an event. It seems that all the league cares about now is the all mighty dollar. I'm sorry but Vancouver who hasnt even been in the league for 10 years should not be hosting such an event so soon in their history. (Yes I know they have a great team and will be excellent hosts) I just think there are many teams it should have gone to before them. The small market teams need to be able to host some events as well as the big cities. Why not bring back the all star game and have the smaller markets host it from time to time. Their is more to this league than Big Markets.

hockey4
02-09-2007, 03:09 PM
If i'm not mistaken, the reasoning for the allstar game being absent is becaise of the canada-russia thing. As long as that continues they will never have an all-star game like the O and Q. Trying to fly players in from all over western canada is very expensive and time consuming. in ontario players can drive everywhere, and in the Q the majority of teams are within 4 hours. But in the csse of swift current, you still need proper media facilities, room for scouts, and enough seats to make it profitable. Hopefullt the reno's address these needs

rinkrat
02-09-2007, 05:12 PM
I'm sorry but Vancouver who hasnt even been in the league for 10 years should not be hosting such an event so soon in their history.

Vancouver has a very rich history of WHL hockey.Ever hear of the New West Bruins?
They hosted the Memorial Cup in 1977 at the Pacific Coliseum.
Vancouver also had a team called the Nats in the early 70's.

Shooter
02-13-2007, 05:12 PM
I think the WHL should bring back the All-Star game and allow the smaller markets a chance to host. I know here in Swift Current we will never see the Memorial Cup, but why not have an All-Star game again. The OHL and QMJHL both have one. It would be away to allow the small markets who have made the league what it is to host an event. It seems that all the league cares about now is the all mighty dollar. I'm sorry but Vancouver who hasnt even been in the league for 10 years should not be hosting such an event so soon in their history. (Yes I know they have a great team and will be excellent hosts) I just think there are many teams it should have gone to before them. The small market teams need to be able to host some events as well as the big cities. Why not bring back the all star game and have the smaller markets host it from time to time. Their is more to this league than Big Markets.

I agree that the Dub should bring back an all star game. Problem is that the league wants to showcase the leagues talent against the watered down Russian team that comes over to get drilled each year. As spread out as the schedule is and with the brutal travel in the Dub I dont see them adding another game like an WHL all star game.

And agreed that if the game is brought back it should be played in the smaller markets. Give everyone a chance to see the showcase games not just who can cram the most people in there barn.

Carebear
02-13-2007, 06:05 PM
I'd love to see a WHL all star game.
Ditch the Russia-Canada games, they suck anyways, bring back All Stars.

In the crowd
02-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Vancouver has a very rich history of WHL hockey.Ever hear of the New West Bruins?
They hosted the Memorial Cup in 1977 at the Pacific Coliseum.
Vancouver also had a team called the Nats in the early 70's.

The Vancouver Giants have nothing to do with the New West Bruins though. I think, as far as larger markets go, Calgary should have been able to host the mem cup before Vancouver, they have been in the league longer.

And about the All star game, the OHL does have one.

OHLArenaGuide
02-15-2007, 04:56 PM
in the Q the majority of teams are within 4 hours.

I'm sorry, but... what?

Have you ever looked at a map? It's a good 24-25 hours between Cape Breton and Rouyn-Noranda. And don't even get me started on St. John's.

rinkrat
02-15-2007, 05:12 PM
The Vancouver Giants have nothing to do with the New West Bruins though. .

What? Many of the same people that supported the Bruins are now Giants season ticket holders.Its the population base that has supported the WHL for decades,doesn't matter who currently owns the local team.
As I said,the PNE Coliseum has already hosted the Memorial Cup once and in May it will be twice and it will be the largest attendance in history.
So I don't know where this notion comes from that we don't deserve to host it.Envy?