PDA

View Full Version : Pre-game Portland/PG

Sput
02-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Well here we go for yet another double header weekend. Having won some games, that yes they were supposed to win, and playing well (but still on the loosing end) in Kamloops and Vancouver, the Cougs seem to be playing well. They have some confidance, scorers are starting to score now, Defence is generally playing well, and Bowlesy has been outstanding since his return.

Injuries have been such a huge factor this season, and have reared its ugly head again. Drazinovic has been out with a charlie horse, and the local band-aid Dudas is out again with a sore rib (suck it up Princess!) Since Drew changed up the lines and spread out the scoring, there has been more success at the net most nights. The D, as I said, is generally playing well. Wishart looks like he's turned the corner and playing much better. Mahalik is utilizing his size a lot more, though still not as physical as a guy that big could be. The young guys on the blueline (Redden, Vandyunhuven Theissen) have seen steady improvement since Christmas. Drew is rotating them in and out on a good rotation (play two sit one) giving them a good chance to experience the games, then sit and anylise one. My only question mark on D is Patterson, but thats just MY opinion.

If anyone remembers watching one of the Slovacia games during the WJHTourney, and hearing (bonehead) Pierre McQuire's comments on Vlad Mahaik, I'd like your opinion. Pierre said that Vlad has been compared as a carbon copy of Chara for a number of obvious reasons. His size (Chara - 6'9 Vlad 6'8), nationality (both Slovacs) and their junior team Both Cougars), but he doesn't think Vlad could ever be as good as Chara because he doesn't have the 'athleticizm' of Chara at the same age. To me its obvious that Pierre never saw Zedano as a junior in PG. Big, gangly, looked very awkward on skates, and was slow on his feet as a 19YO junior in PG. Chara grew into his size over time, and learned the game and how to use his size. Comparing the two, as 18-19 YO's, I actually think Vlad is ahead of where Chara was. Anyone offer any thoughts? Am I correct, that given the chance Vlad MIGHT (never said will, but he definately could) develop into the smae mould of player as Chara??

SectionNDeserter
02-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Chara grew into his size over time, and learned the game and how to use his size. Comparing the two, as 18-19 YO's, I actually think Vlad is ahead of where Chara was. Anyone offer any thoughts? Am I correct, that given the chance Vlad MIGHT (never said will, but he definately could) develop into the smae mould of player as Chara??I never saw Chara as anything but an overager (which he was in PG), and I only got a really good look at Mihalik as an 18 year old when he played in Red Deer. I remember them both looking like a giraffe on rollerskates, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with how Mihalik played, at least when he played in Red Deer as an 18 year old. He didn't seem to be overly physical, but he could poke the puck off your stick from 20 feet away, made blocking shots look easy, and has a cannon of a shot from the point. My only knock on the guy when he was here, was the fact that he just wouldn't use that cannon of a shot from the point.

smileyjones
02-09-2007, 07:34 PM
I think that Mihalik's game is VERY similar to Chara's at this age. The big difference being that Chara was a physical force and liked to scrap a bit. That said, I believe that Mihalik has been in a couple of scraps this year. He doesn't appear to go out of his way to find trouble, but I have yet to see him really "back down" either.