PDA

View Full Version : Expansion Draft

silverbullet
02-10-2007, 01:44 AM
Just curious to see who you think the Blades will lose in the Expansion Draft?
Last year Lorne traded Hengen and Watt to Chilliwack prior to the draft.

Who will get protected?
Who will go to Edmonton?

GBG BLEED BLUE
02-10-2007, 08:49 PM
I would hope that a trade would be made(or maybe not because of the players they lost last time)

I would think that a forward could be moved to Edmonton.

Players that could be on the way out
Brett Ward
Adam Geric
Chris Cloud
Garrett Zemlak

These are the players that I think could be moved,but at this point it could be anyone.(within reason of course)

Trav
02-11-2007, 12:38 AM
I dont think Cloud would be exposed in the draft. Could be wrong though but I hope he is kept. Dulle and Cuthbert might be exposed and maybe Edmonton could take one of them.

Tidball
02-11-2007, 01:43 PM
I would hope that a trade would be made(or maybe not because of the players they lost last time)

I would think that a forward could be moved to Edmonton.

Players that could be on the way out
Brett Ward
Adam Geric
Chris Cloud
Garrett Zemlak

These are the players that I think could be moved,but at this point it could be anyone.(within reason of course)

Are you nuts? No well in HELL Cloud goes to Edmonton.

I'd say give them Geric and Visnak. I think they would like that deal given Visnaks point production.

Protection List

1. Colton Gillies
2. Justin McCrae
3. Chris Cloud
4. Garret Klotz
5. Braden Holtby
6. Walker Wintoneak
7. Tiegan Zahn
8. Galan Patterson
9. Bret Ward
10. Derek Hulak
11. Blair MacAuley
12. Sam Klassen
13. Troy Crowley
14. Dustin Cameron
15. Garret Zemlak

Id Make a deal involving Visnak, Geric, and Cuthbert. I think they would go for this. I left Konecny unprotected as they shouldnt have a problem finding euros.

howley
02-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Are you nuts? No well in HELL Cloud goes to Edmonton.

I'd say give them Geric and Visnak. I think they would like that deal given Visnaks point production.

Protection List

1. Colton Gillies
2. Justin McCrae
3. Chris Cloud
4. Garret Klotz
5. Braden Holtby
6. Walker Wintoneak
7. Tiegan Zahn
8. Galan Patterson
9. Bret Ward
10. Derek Hulak
11. Blair MacAuley
12. Sam Klassen
13. Troy Crowley
14. Dustin Cameron
15. Garret Zemlak

Id Make a deal involving Visnak, Geric, and Cuthbert. I think they would go for this. I left Konecny unprotected as they shouldnt have a problem finding euros.

exact same list i'd have except would replace cameron with funk

Trav
02-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Some of the Blades listed players will be protected, at least they should be so a few veterans will be left exposed. Guys like Toomey, perhaps Belyk and Braid who will probably have a good shot at making the team next year. I'd leave both euros unprotected for sure and guys like Dulle and Cuthbert will have to put up some points if they wanna stay next year. The Blades do have quite a few good young players who should make the team next year.

Next year's team looks promising.

Gillies
Hulak
McCrae
MacCauley
Cloud
Euro #1
Euro #2 or Konecny
Pattersson
Hamilton
Toomey
Cameron
Wintoneak
Crowley
Belyk
Braid

14 guys there, obiivously we wont know if Konecny will be back or not and if he is hopefully he'll put up 20+ goals and we should get another euro forward who will hopefully be another Starkov or Simek and put up a lot of points. If the Blades get that and if Belyk and Braid show they belong should do well scoring wise.

Defense

Losing Cole will hurt.

Ward - Most expierenced d-man but will hope to have a really good year, hasnt had one yet.
Klassen - Hopefully he'll keep on improving
Funk - Health is an issue there
Zahn - Hopefully he'll get better
Elliot - Probably going to be a regular
Berg - Like Elliot, chances of being a regular are good

7th and 8th d-man are a toss up. Maybe the Blades should acquire a veteran d-man so Elliot and Berg arent forced in to playing every game.

Goaltenders

Holtby - Starter
Zemlak or Morrison - If Morrison shows he's ready now I'm sure he'd be backup but like ive said before another year of midget or jr. a may be good for him

Tidball
02-12-2007, 12:11 PM
1991 players (Hamilton, Berg, Elliot) are automatically protected, right?

Shortys
02-12-2007, 01:36 PM
1991 players (Hamilton, Berg, Elliot) are automatically protected, right?

Yes I believe that 15's are automatically protected, and are not included as part of the list.

howley
02-12-2007, 02:28 PM
15's and 16's can not be taken.

silverbullet
02-12-2007, 04:46 PM

That is correct, so guys like Berg, Hamilton, and Elliott...(the rest of the 91's) are protected as 15's and Patterson,

Zahn, and Toomey...(the rest of the 90's) are protected automatically as 16's and do not have to be included on the teams protected list.

Trav
02-12-2007, 05:20 PM
the rest of the 16 yr olds that are on the Blades protected list are not exempt from the draft silverbullet. Only 1991 and 92 born players are exempt from the expansion draft so thats why im saying the Blades are likely going to be protecting quite a few 90 born players or they'll risk losing a good one.

ramrod1
02-12-2007, 07:24 PM

im pretty sure 16's r allowed to be taken, but i could be wrong.

ProStaff
02-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Why not? It's not like they worked hard in drafting these players, I think this whole robbing teams of their good players needs to end, why not allow an Expanstion team to have 5 overagers for three years to help them be competitive while they build their own team!

Shortys
02-13-2007, 11:50 AM
who did you guys loose to chilliwack? we lost backup goalie archibald. Lots of people (myself included)thought he may turn into a good one but hasent

We lost Hengen, and Watt to Chilliwack. Hengen is now with MJ, and Watt has just been deleted from the team. No real losses for Saskatoon happened there imo. Hengen is having a good year, but he just didn't fit with Saskatoon.

ProStaff
02-13-2007, 12:00 PM
from blades web site:
Saskatoon, SK: The Saskatoon Blades announced this afternoon that they have completed a trade with the expansion Chilliwack Bruins that will allow the team to avoid having any players selected from their ist by the Bruins in today’s Western Hockey League Expansion Draft. The deal sees 20-year-old goaltender Jim Watt and 19-year-old defenseman Michael Hengen go to the Bruins in their inaugural season in 2006/2007.

Watt, a native of Edmonton, AB came to the Blades last season from the Spokane Chiefs in a trade deadline deal this past January that also saw the team acquire forward Chad Klassen, defensemen David Schulz and Joe Logan in exchange for defenseman Evan Haw and goaltender Kevin Armstrong and draft picks. Watt appeared in 10 games for the Blades picking up 4 wins while compiling a 3.48 GAA and a .908 SV% including 1 shutout. Hengen a 19 year old defenseman from Surrey, B.C. was also acquired by the team via trade at the 2006 deadline from the Swift Current Broncos along with graduated defenseman Derek Price in exchange for forward Brandon Tidball and defenseman Dane Crowley. Hengen appeared in 12 games for the Bridge City Bunch in which he picked up 1 assist to go along with 6 penalty minutes. The Saskatoon Blades wish to thank Jim and Michael for contribution to the hockey club and the community of Saskatoon and wish them the best of luck in the future.
The Blades also remind fans and media that 2006/2007 Season Seats are on sale now. This season the team has held the line on Early Bird prices for Adults at $360.00 plus GST and Students/Seniors at $280.00 plus GST. New this season the team has rolled back the price on the Children’s tickets to $99 plus GST to make Blades hockey even more Family Affordable. In a second “Family Friendly” offer any fan purchasing 1- Adult and 1- Child season ticket will receive a Free Child’s Season Seat for the 2006/2007 season, with that ticket upgradeable during the year at Ticketmaster. As a final bonus the Blades are pleased to provide each Season Seat subscriber with 2 Flex Pack Vouchers absolutely free for their use during the 2006/2007 Season
The only player we lost was Hengan, we could have used him, to add to a very young D core. The only thing that I get pissed off about is, teams build up for years to get into a position to be competitive and then a new team comes along and takes two players from you and than another new team comes alonmg and takes another two. That is just wrong 4 players in one calender year from your team hurts, and The Blades look like they have a very good young group of guy's and then bang! two will be gone just like that! that is B.S! Give the expantion team an extra overager or two and a larger rosters. There are tons of players that are released every year. Have the teams in an expantion year descide their rosters earlier

howley
02-13-2007, 10:57 PM
15's and 16's I beleive means 91-92. Not this years 16's. So Zahn, Patterson, etc will have to be protected. Berg, Elliot, not. I could be wrong about the years.

ramrod1
02-14-2007, 12:41 AM
yes i believe zahn, patterson, toomey, hebert, friesen and canart have to be protected or else they are open to edmonton.

Bran
02-14-2007, 12:25 PM
It says in the Edmonton thread that the rules for this years draft are the same as Chilliwack last year...
I found this about last years draft...

WHL clubs will be allowed to protect only fifteen players - aged 17 to 20 - or sixteen players if that list includes three overagers. All 2005 and 2006 bantam draft picks are exempt from this week's draft.

The article is here ( http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3319080 ) if you want to read the whole thing.

Tidball
02-15-2007, 03:30 PM
whats your unprotected list look like?
Prince Alberts may look something like this we leave some decent players unprotected

this is all unprotected
11 Jarrid Dowhay RW R 6'0 192 May. 18, 1987 Prince Albert, SK Prince Albert
14 Brent Ottmann RW R 6' 1 202 Jan. 17, 1988 Martensville, SK Prince Albert R
15 Milan Jurik C L 6'2 176 Feb. 28, 1988 Banska, SLO
22 Devon LeBlanc LW L 6'2 193 Mar. 9, 1988 Brandon, MB Red Deer Rebels
23 Ashton Hewson LW L 6'5 207 Mar. 1, 1988 Cutknife, SK Prince Albert Raide
8 Colin Scherger D R 5'10 201 Dec. 12, 1989 Medicine Hat, AB Seattle Thu
27 Shane Malone D R 6'3 200 Nov. 19, 1989 Nanaimo, BC Prince Albert Raide
mike small, steph vigier, james debrowski

I think LeBlanc will put up 50+ points next season. I would protect him forsure.

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-06-2007, 09:28 PM
It kind of does not look like the Blades are going to make a trade(to avoid the draft with the Oil Kings) I know that the draft is less than a month away(June 5th) I kind of wish they would trade,so they could avoid it. Who knows :confused:

Triton
05-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Leblanc will put up 50 points and so will Ottman, Hewson has a outside shot also but go look at the 16 that I protected on the theres nobody that we could take off that list

What will come 1st Ottmann playing 50 games or getting 50 pts?

I don't think Ottmann will get 50 points.Leblanc,maybe.

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Jeez look what Tidball and Raiderfan17 have started,why don't you Raider fans go on your forum and talk about the Riader's expansion draft there ? It seems to have taken all of the attention of what is supposed to being discussed. (The Blades and who they may lose/trade to the Oil Kings)

It is tough to say who the Blades will lose,because you just do not know what Molleken will do,and he has a lot of things to take care of.

Trav
05-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Here's who I'd protected if I were the Blades. They'll get to protect 15 17-19's since they have no 20's.

1. Holtby
2. Zemlak
3. Zahn
4. Funk
5. Canart
6. Friesen
7. Toomey
8. Pattersson
9. Crowley or Wintoneak
10. McCrae
11. Gillies
12. Hulak
13. Braid
14. Philp
15. Belyk

The Blades gotta protect their young prospects. Guys like Geric, MaCauley (expected a lot more from him, bust), Cloud, Ward (some will disagree with me on him) and Klassen are all replaceable.

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Here's who I'd protected if I were the Blades. They'll get to protect 15 17-19's since they have no 20's.

1. Holtby
2. Zemlak
3. Zahn
4. Funk
5. Canart
6. Friesen
7. Toomey
8. Pattersson
9. Crowley or Wintoneak
10. McCrae
11. Gillies
12. Hulak
13. Braid
14. Philp
15. Belyk

The Blades gotta protect their young prospects. Guys like Geric, MaCauley (expected a lot more from him, bust), Cloud, Ward (some will disagree with me on him) and Klassen are all replaceable.
I like that list and I agree all of those guys are replaceable,it would also clear up more question marks if anyone knew if Funk will be ready to play of not.

Also if the Blades make the right trade,I would not be mad about that either(The trade with Chilliwack last season was ok) But the question is: Are the Blades willing to put a trade offer on the Oil Kings table?

Trav
05-06-2007, 11:17 PM
interested in Cloud or Ward, I'd give one of them plus another guy or both of them perhaps.

Triton
05-07-2007, 01:33 AM
Edmonton may want some toughness and hard work so they may opt to go with Cloud.

On a side note...I really like Zemlak.I see something real special in him.

howley
05-07-2007, 11:33 AM
IMO they should really try to move Cloud to Edmonton. Lots of time for something to go down yet.

Tidball
05-07-2007, 06:48 PM

1. Holtby
2. Zemlak
3. Zahn
4. Funk
5. Canart
6. Friesen
7. Toomey
8. Pattersson
9. Crowley or Wintoneak
10. McCrae
11. Gillies
12. Hulak
13. Braid
14. Philp
15. Belyk

Take out Braid Belyk Philp. Klotz can play, if he struggles then trade him for a pick and bring up Philp.

I would put in Ward Klassen Dulle and MacAuley. Dulle is FAR to valueble for the unprotected list. Id put Cloud on it, but who knows whats goin on with him.

ramrod1
05-07-2007, 09:56 PM
i dont think i would protect friesen and canart. with our good young d coming up. we could lose one and not miss a beat.

howley
05-07-2007, 11:27 PM
friesen and canart ARE the good young D coming up. Again...do not protect Klassen, to many bad habits.

Trav
05-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Take out Braid Belyk Philp. Klotz can play, if he struggles then trade him for a pick and bring up Philp.

I would put in Ward Klassen Dulle and MacAuley. Dulle is FAR to valueble for the unprotected list. Id put Cloud on it, but who knows whats goin on with him.

Now thats terrible lol. MaCauley has done nothing since he's been here. He should've been one of the top scorers on the team this year but he wasnt. Ward, well you and I will never agree on him. He should be out the door. Klassen? he did well at the start but he's replaceable. Dulle yeah I guess can be added to the list but come on man. Ward and MaCauley are out. I would doubt Edmonton would look at Klotz so why protect him and expose a young guy that has offensive potential. The Blades need offensive players.

GBG BLEED BLUE
05-08-2007, 07:40 PM
The Blades will need to protect the young players that they have,remember that the Blades will most likely be bringing in two or three 20 year olds. I would think that would make some guys like Ward and Klassen tradeable/made available for Edmonton to pick. (even if they will be the veterans on the blueline) I think the Blades can find better replacements for them back there.

Now onto the forwards, players like Patterson,McCrae,Gillies,Hulak,Crowley,and maybe Wintoneak will most likely be protected.

I think some possibilities for players who will be left unprotected would be:Forwards-Geric,Cuthbert,Cameron,Klotz(some people will diagree I know) I would like to see him stay,but with Philp wanting to make the team,it would be a tough descision. Maybe they will keep both?(Klotz and Philp)

Now for the Defence:Ward,Klassen could be left unprotected.

I think we all know who will be protected(there might be a surprize or two)

I would think that if the Blades do not want Chris Cloud back next season,I would hope that Molleken would trade him to Edmonton,maybe throw in a pick or two or another player.

I wish the days would do by faster so we can get this over with. :laugh:

All we can do is hope for the best of results,but I have confidence that the Blades will do the right thing and protect the youth,even if it means giving up some draft picks and an older roster player.

Trav
05-09-2007, 01:00 AM
Yes, the Blades need to protect as many as their young players as possible.

Tidball
05-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Now thats terrible lol. MaCauley has done nothing since he's been here. He should've been one of the top scorers on the team this year but he wasnt. Ward, well you and I will never agree on him. He should be out the door. Klassen? he did well at the start but he's replaceable. Dulle yeah I guess can be added to the list but come on man. Ward and MaCauley are out. I would doubt Edmonton would look at Klotz so why protect him and expose a young guy that has offensive potential. The Blades need offensive players.

Most people dont lead a team in scoring if they have an irregular heartbeat. MacAuley is very skilled and very fast. Ward is probably our best D-man on our roster now. But that may change when Elliot plays his 16. Klassen should stay on the list. Putting Dulle off the list would be one of the stupidest moves in BLades history.

Trav
05-09-2007, 11:45 AM
just think that theres veterans that are replaceable by some of the young talent the team has coming up. No sense in keeping a veteran and sending a rookie back down if the rookie is just as good as the veteran.

Shortys
05-09-2007, 02:02 PM
It will be better to let some veterans go if need be, and have the rookies start young and grow with the team as a whole where everyone is in the same boat, with the exception of a couple overagers to bring in for the year.

Ward and Klassen wont be on the list, they are too easily replaced by our young D coming up. As for MacAuley and Dulle, again they never showed much potential, so why protect them, they are easily replaced with younger talent as well. I agree with Trav about Klotz too, dont put him on the list, Edmonton probably wont be looking at him anyway, so why waste a spot on the list that will be needed for some more offence. I would like to see Klotz again next year though, so hopefully Edmonton wont pick him up.

I can see Moleken making a deal though, so there will be no surprises for him, like a Cloud and picks deal like GBG said.

howley
05-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Dulle will be on the list. Molleken seemed very high on him last year. Using him on the point for the PP, important PK situations. Good hustle, great speed. I think he stays. Klassen won't be on the list, Ward is a question mark, Macauley is a question mark. Macauley showed so much potential two years ago and just never came around. You can blame it on irregular heartbeat or whatever but before he left he didn't appear to have much to offer.

On last years team Dulle would of made the top five in the forwards overall depth chart. IMO he'll be on the list without a doubt.

GBG BLEED BLUE
06-02-2007, 01:14 PM
I am starting to think that the Blades might not make a deal with the Oil Kings. I wish they would though. It would be nice if they could get away with trading 1 or 2 players and no draft picks,well I guess we will wait and see what happens.