PDA

View Full Version : Rockets over Blazers

scamperdog
02-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Rockets' glare returns
By Doyle Potenteau
Sunday, February 11, 2007, 12:01 AM

www.kelownadailycourier.ca

Pushovers one night, unbeatable the next. With apologies to Eminem, will the real Rockets please stand up?
Chris Ray had a goal and assist and Torrie Jung made 29 saves for Kelowna as the Rockets defeated the Kamloops Blazers 4-2 in WHL action at Prospera Place on Saturday night. One night earlier, the Rockets took it on the chin in a 4-0 loss to the Americans in Tri-City.
“Consistency has been a factor for us all season,” said Jung, whose team now has home-ice wins over Vancouver, Everett, Medicine Hat and Kamloops — all top-10 CHL teams.
But the Rockets have also lost ugly on home ice, the worst being a 4-1 setback to Prince Albert on Jan. 31.
“It seems like one night we’ll show up; we’ll skate with the (Vancouver) Giants, we’ll beat the Giants,” Jung said. “Other nights, we come out lazy and unfocused. Like (Friday) night, we got beat 4-0. But (Saturday), we really battled hard.”
Clayton Barthel, Justin Bernhardt and Lucas Bloodoff also scored for Kelowna (17-31-5-3). Brock Nixon, a power-play goal that opened the scoring at 8:55 of the first period, and Reid Jorgensen, with his team-leading 36th goal, replied for Kamloops (37-15-2-1). Dustin Butler made 16 saves for the Blazers, who host Portland tonight and held a lengthy team meeting after losing to Kelowna. Jung improved his record to 3-5-4-2 in what was arguably the Rockets’ most complete victory of the season, with Kelowna playing well in every zone. Tonight, Kelowna visits Vancouver for a 5 p.m. tilt with the Giants.
“Our most complete victory? I think so,” said Ray. “It was good on all parts, though our (2-0 win on Feb. 3) over Vancouver was good, too. It’s just nice to have some consistency because we didn’t play well (Friday). Our last three of four games, we’ve played pretty well, and if we can keep that going, that’s a pretty good winning percentage.”
“Our forwards did a great job of chipping by their defence and really creating stuff off the rush,” added Jung. “We just looked really hungry for goals, whereas in other nights, we lose our focus around the goal.”
As for tonight’s game against Vancouver (35-12-3-6), the Rockets are skating into the lions’ den. Kelowna is 0-3 at Pacific Coliseum, having lost 4-1, 4-0 and 4-3 in overtime. The game will be Jung’s third in a row, since taking over Kelowna’s starting role when Kris Westblom was lost for the season last weekend with a knee injury.
“I’m feeling good,” said Jung. “I’m a little tired, but if I get a good meal in me and a good rest, I should be great for (today).”
ICE CHIPS: Kelowna scratched Westblom (knee, indefinite), D Riley McIntosh and D Matthew Brusciano (knee, indefinite). Kamloops’ scratches were D Kevin Kraus, LW Travis Dunstall and LW Alex Rodgers (shoulder, indefinite). . . . Kelowna went 2-for-3 on the power play. Kamloops was 1-for-6. . . . The three stars were Jung, Ray and Nixon.