PDA

View Full Version : $$$$$ - Don Hay's Salary

tj99
02-11-2007, 11:55 PM
What is Hay's salary? I heard he is being paid much more than other WHL coaches. Please help.

Beaner
02-12-2007, 01:35 AM
No idea - that info is not public knowledge.

Swando
02-12-2007, 01:35 AM
Haven't got a clue...but I'll put in my 2 cents (no pun intended).. I would imagine when Toigo came calling Don had other options ie asst coach in the NHL, head coach or asst in the AHL, ECHL. We had hired a coach ( can't remember his name that had a good NHL resume and had coached the Blazer I think) He most likely had to be bought out or given severance when Hay became available.
I think Hay is worth every penny and he is probably paid as much or more than the highest paid coach in the WHL. In saying this the cost of living ie housing (Tswassen/Ladner/Richmond would be 2-3 times higher than in most parts of the province - let alone Saskatchewan..10X With his resume he is worth every penny and I hope he retires a multi millionaire from coaching the Giants till he is 75 yrs old. It's a catch 22. Toigo has a great franchise and will continue to support a winner...........how about a loser?? Don't know. I hope Don Hay has a bonus ladden contract.
On a different topic but somehow related --I think it's unfair that an organization ala Silvertips, maybe Giants etc that spends $ to aquire good coaching and thus developing better players ( no offense to others) that that franchise does not receive anymore credit from the NHL on draft day than a franchise that does not put $ into bettering their coaching ranks etc becasue of the $$ attached. In the US college football ( not sure about hockey) a #1 round is rewarded by $ back to the developing team..2nd round x amount etc I contacted the Giants and they do not receive any more from the NHL if they have 5 1st round draft picks or none at all ..It is all pooled in the WHL and divied up equally.

old_time_hockey
02-12-2007, 02:10 AM
I don't get what the point of the post is?

Are you trying to say that the Giants are paying WAY over market value and that it is unfair for the rest of the teams? Or is it more just general knowledge?

N.W. Bruin
02-12-2007, 02:16 AM
He signed for five years for one million. Works out to two hundred thousand per season. I am sure there are extras (bonus for the league championship last season ect.)

Kevin C. in Everett is believed to be in the same dollar amount. Whether those numbers are correct is anyone's guess but pro coaches make far more and both those guys came from pro hockey. No matter what they are among the highest paid in the Dub. Low end might be around $50,000 per season. But I am definitely NOT sure what the average or exact low end is.

Most clubs' budgets might work out to two million a season. Say 100,000 fans at $15 a crack average pays most of the bills. Other revenues draft money, CHL functions, fund raisers covers the balance hopefully. Big market teams have far bigger budget because their office staffs tend to be bigger.

Giants' costs who knows maybe three million. But with them averaging close to 8,000 this season @ low end $15 per ticket after GST x 36 home games may produce close to five million in revenue. This season is a good attendance season right up there with the NHL lockout season for them.

N.W. Bruin
02-12-2007, 02:23 AM
Haven't got a clue...but I'll put in my 2 cents (no pun intended).. I would imagine when Toigo came calling Don had other options ie asst coach in the NHL, head coach or asst in the AHL, ECHL. We had hired a coach ( can't remember his name that had a good NHL resume and had coached the Blazer I think) He most likely had to be bought out or given severance when Hay became available.
I think Hay is worth every penny and he is probably paid as much or more than the highest paid coach in the WHL. In saying this the cost of living ie housing (Tswassen/Ladner/Richmond would be 2-3 times higher than in most parts of the province - let alone Saskatchewan..10X With his resume he is worth every penny and I hope he retires a multi millionaire from coaching the Giants till he is 75 yrs old. It's a catch 22. Toigo has a great franchise and will continue to support a winner...........how about a loser?? Don't know. I hope Don Hay has a bonus ladden contract.
On a different topic but somehow related --I think it's unfair that an organization ala Silvertips, maybe Giants etc that spends $ to aquire good coaching and thus developing better players ( no offense to others) that that franchise does not receive anymore credit from the NHL on draft day than a franchise that does not put $ into bettering their coaching ranks etc becasue of the $$ attached. In the US college football ( not sure about hockey) a #1 round is rewarded by $ back to the developing team..2nd round x amount etc I contacted the Giants and they do not receive any more from the NHL if they have 5 1st round draft picks or none at all ..It is all pooled in the WHL and divied up equally.

There is a pool of money that is divided up evenly but first the money is sent to the teams that have players drafted. About six million to the three junior leagues combined. Two million to the Dub with about one million of that is split evenly while the teams that have guys drafted get extra out of the other million depending on the rounds that players are drafted.

Soundy
02-12-2007, 02:43 AM
I don't know how much it factors into the TEAM coffers, but there's always commercial sponsorship money in there too - it seems to me there's significantly more (and more prominent, ie. lighted signs, etc.) advertising around the Coliseum this year than there was last year. I could be wrong there, but really looks that way to me, anyway.

Swando
02-12-2007, 02:58 PM
There is a pool of money that is divided up evenly but first the money is sent to the teams that have players drafted. About six million to the three junior leagues combined. Two million to the Dub with about one million of that is split evenly while the teams that have guys drafted get extra out of the other million depending on the rounds that players are drafted.

I hope you are right on this as it makes more sense. This is not what I was told from the Giants office however. They said that all the money the NHL sends down for the drafted players is divided equally and the Giants would not receive more being they had more players drafted than a team that did not have any players drafted.