PDA

View Full Version : Coaching

transplantedbronco
02-12-2007, 12:50 AM
My thoughts about our Head Coach:

1) The CZE (i dont like to bash with names) experiment. How many chances does one guy get before we realize that he does not get the job done on the point on the powerplay. Time to let the young prospects the time they need to work the powerplay. Were told and can see they are future STARS, let them develop as such. They need time in pressure situations.

2) We have a few guys who are working their a$$ off shift after shift. And how do they get rewarded? By being put on the 3rd and 4th lines. They are rewarded in the first two periods by sitting for more than half the period. Yeah makes them wanting to bust the butt. And they still do. Unreal when the true leaders on the ice are 18 or under. Give them MORE time not LESS.

3) We did not have alot of talent 3 years ago and now we have alot of talent and we have the same systems inplace. The systems should be changing as the talent improves but its the same systems. We only change whole lines never partial. Watch almost every team especially the top teams and they will change 2 or 3 guys if they get it in deep in our end. Us unless we change a complete line it never happens.

There is more as well but I will leave it at this. I still have faith. I will always have faith in the players that will never change. But I DO NOT have to have faith in the coach. He is NOT the reason I spend my money. Yeah some people may not like my post but hey its just my opionion and hopefully we can have some good clean debate. And remeber I dont think he should be fired. Maybe its time for Dave to coach. Did anyone else see that tonight he was the coach to speak to the players all game. Dean only spoke a bit in the third TV timeout. My new signature will change to IN DAVE WE TRUST. Could have been something else but this is more polictically correct.

Big Ern
02-12-2007, 01:38 AM
I like the way you came right out with your thoughts and opinion. That's what this forum is for.
However, I totally disagree with you. Until the guys play all three periods, we won't win, no matter who coaches. And that includes Sunday nights. For some reason, they're gutless on Sundays. I hope it quits.
And one other thing...Dean DID draw up a play and talk the guys in the last minutes. Dean is a very composed coach. That's a better style sometimes.
To sum it all up...."NO, I DON'T THINK IT'S DEAN."
But thanks man....I like people that speak their mind. I do too.

Flathead
02-12-2007, 07:48 AM
Until the guys play all three periods,.
How long do we have to listen to this excuse? I don't think they will play all three periods on a consistent basis, and it is the coaches job to get them to play. I agree with Transplant, how long do we have to watch Rakos on the point for the pp, it hasn't worked ALL season, why do we keep trying it? Dean drew up a play and talked to his players in the last few minutes????? ***??? How about the other 57 minutes? Ern, watch the other teams coach for a few games and report back with what you saw.

Big Ern
02-12-2007, 10:10 AM
How long do we have to listen to this excuse? I don't think they will play all three periods on a consistent basis, and it is the coaches job to get them to play. I agree with Transplant, how long do we have to watch Rakos on the point for the pp, it hasn't worked ALL season, why do we keep trying it? Dean drew up a play and talked to his players in the last few minutes????? ***??? How about the other 57 minutes? Ern, watch the other teams coach for a few games and report back with what you saw.

YUP...it's a matter of opinion, is all.
And if by "the other coach," you mean Kelly Kisio, he has done NOTHING. And I do think this is his fifth or sixth year with the Hitmen.....just so you know.

loud and proud
02-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Ernie, I admire your loyalty but it distorts your view of what is going on with this team. Dean may be a nice guy and he may treat you and your favourite player well, but that doesn't mean he is a good coach.

Dean's systems aren't working and he can't keep blaming that on the kids who are trying to execute them. If they still aren't working after 2 1/2 years there is probably something wrong with the system.

There is a reason why players leave here in trades, etc. and turn into much better hockey players than we ever thought possible! There is a reason why talented young men come here and don't develop but rather plateau and sometimes regress in their play. If you are told often enough that you aren't a talented team/player then eventually you start to believe it and it shows on the ice. It takes leadership ability to teach these kids to lead and that just is not happening here. Most of the fans (who are just fans not hockey experts) see this, scouts see this, other players and coaches see this so why don't the board of directors see this. There are only a few months left on Dean's contract maybe the fans should take up a collection and buy him out if the directors are afraid they can't afford to do it.

Yes it's my opinion and I'm willing to share it.

ointhecreek
02-12-2007, 06:27 PM
I believe some of the blame has to be on the players shoulders who are suppose to be leading the young guys by example. Not just on the ice but off also. Guys like Rumsey and Larochelle and Schenderling are suppose to push the others to play with everything they've got every game. Trouble is some of the older players don't seem to want to do it themselves. Rumsey seems to be leading on the ice but is he doing anything off? Not a job I would want though.

Big Ern
02-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Dean may be a nice guy and he may treat you and your favourite player well...

No, that has abseloutely nothing to do with it.
I am saying, how can we play as well as we did in yesterday's third period, and stretches that you've seen through the season? When they do something like score four in seven minutes against the Hat, or six in a period against P.A., I start thinking......"Maybe his systems are working when they are executed." Don't forget, when you see them play like nobody can beat them, the guy behind the bench is still there....nothing changes. Why can't they play like that for 60 instead of 20 or 40, is what I'm asking. It can't be the coach......

transplantedbronco
02-12-2007, 07:31 PM
I think that some of the players do need to take some heat here as well. They need to perform on a consistent basis, but when we have the same discussions for 3 years I DO question the coach more because the players have never performed for Dean on a consistent basis for 3 years now. At this and any level the coach has to be able to get the most out of his players and Dean just seems to be dropping that ball. He needs to stop rewarding floating. Ice time seems to go to whoever Deans likes on that night not to ones the ones who give a damn and work hard every shift. Thats what frustrates me. He has to see this and he has to be willing to put an end to it.

d-man
02-12-2007, 07:57 PM
The players only have a certain level of talent to play within a system. When that system is above their talent level the coach must adjust the system to get the most out of the players. This team has a lot of talent but not necessarily the talent needed to play Dean' system. Time to change? Too late?

The players need to give it 60 minutes? Show me a team, other than Everett, that gives it 60 minutes - 72 games a year. I thought the boys played really good Sunday and took full advantage of Calgary when they let down in the third.

Rakos on the PP :confused: Hasn't worked all year. If Weise can legitimately shoot at 99mph then get him on the point!!

Flathead
02-12-2007, 09:09 PM
YUP...it's a matter of opinion, is all.
And if by "the other coach," you mean Kelly Kisio, he has done NOTHING. And I do think this is his fifth or sixth year with the Hitmen.....just so you know.
Actually it's his third year and over those three years including this year he has about a 624 win %. If you call that NOTHING, take the time to figure out Dean's over his coaching career. I'll give ya a clue, it's a lot less than NOTHING. Kisio wasn't who I was referring to, but thanks he is a good example.
I also admire your loyalty, but agree that it's distorting your views of what's really happening.

ointhecreek
02-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Rakos on the PP :confused: Hasn't worked all year. If Weise can legitimately shoot at 99mph then get him on the point!!
I totally agree with you on this. It's one of the coaching decisions I question. That and why Rakos gets as much ice time as he does with all the stupid penalties he takes. Although I think that was better last game anyway.