PDA

View Full Version : a question ????

shushu
02-12-2007, 12:39 PM
IF the canes fail to make the playoffs this year, AND I DID SAY IF, what will be on the list for next year. with dyck feeling the pressure put upon him to succeed , and last years playoffs due in part to hofford/stockard this year and next will be his proving ground. if this years inconsistent style of hockey is any prelude to next year whats going to be the answers for some of the problems?? ps before anyone starts telling me about'' no more changes'', im not talking about firing anyone ..
any and all opinoins welcome.....GO CANES GO.......... :thumb:

aaAlta
02-12-2007, 05:16 PM
I think the current young core of the team will get stronger, more consistent and effective as they gain age and experience. I think you have an opportunity to step up over the next couple years, then keep it going (ie with 2 - 92 1st rounders in the pipeline).

You might not need to do much to goal or D if at next camp another season of development looks to have matured the backend. You have pretty decent 88 & 89 goal tending. You have a good blend of strength, skill and ages on D. I dont think I would want to add much short term 88 D back there for next year. (As I think your 88 leaders are already shaping up for two years down the road). So I guess I'd just want to add another good 90 prospect. But I dont know who that is with Fredrickson maybe not keen on a number 7/8 D spot. However, if things arent looking to tighten up on D fairly quickly then you have to make some substantial trades to bolster those ranks by a quality guy or two. If you are going to make changes back there I dont think you want them to be minor differences like they were this year. If you're going to shake that up then you might have to give up something hot.

For forwards, you've definitely got 91 Carter Ashton coming in. But between him and what you've got you need some 90 Fs coming on strong. I dont know if thats there in Orfino, Pillar, Iwanski or Murray, though they are all good players. Maybe you do some trading to see that you end up with a couple of contributing 90s going. With Ashton they'll need to replace the points that Hogg's been getting. But maybe thats spread out over three young players in the first year, with the total being more than replacement in the sweet spot two years out.

grainbear
02-12-2007, 06:22 PM
What we are not taking into account in this process is what is available for us in the import draft ? . Realistically , I don,t see Kudelka back Ottawa will have a home for him in the AHL Vantuck who knows, if we can find a big import who is tough in front of the net he will not be here what with Dietrich, Farmanara , King and Knudsen battling it out for the 3 overage spots.

canes77
02-12-2007, 07:00 PM
It seems that the current core of players will be fine next season. Would a second assistant coach have any benefit? Someone not from the Japanese leagues :) Three guys behind the bench rather than two has the benefit of one more teacher, point of view, etc...but it could also be just as bad where the players have too many teachers.

shushu
02-12-2007, 10:01 PM
that why i asked. this year i see this team gearing up for much better things to come down the road. it seems theres more than just one culprit in the inconsistencies of todays team. it would be easy to blame dyck completely but alot of it has to do with roy being stingy giving up young talent this year for quick results.this never being more evident as when we picked up vantuch, knudsen, and a few more leftovers. also i think it wouldnt have been such abad thing to keep luke around, he learned alot from hofford ( which imo was the best defensive coach the canes ever had) ...

aaAlta
02-13-2007, 08:24 PM
What we are not taking into account in this process is what is available for us in the import draft ? . Realistically , I don,t see Kudelka back Ottawa will have a home for him in the AHL Vantuck who knows, if we can find a big import who is tough in front of the net he will not be here what with Dietrich, Farmanara , King and Knudsen battling it out for the 3 overage spots.

I think grainbear's got a good point. A hot import pick could make all the difference. And getting some more good 90s contribution going.

loudi94
02-13-2007, 10:33 PM
It seems that the current core of players will be fine next season. Would a second assistant coach have any benefit? Someone not from the Japanese leagues :) Three guys behind the bench rather than two has the benefit of one more teacher, point of view, etc...but it could also be just as bad where the players have too many teachers.

Maybe if the coaches got along with each other and the GM had confidence in the coaches, the players could get it together. It's a mess from what I hear.

canes77
02-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Maybe if the coaches got along with each other and the GM had confidence in the coaches, the players could get it together. It's a mess from what I hear.

I've never thought about that...chemistry with the coaching staff...do you think if it was still Theoret and Dyck behind the bench, things would be any better?

loudi94
02-14-2007, 11:40 AM
I've never thought about that...chemistry with the coaching staff...do you think if it was still Theoret and Dyck behind the bench, things would be any better?

If Theoret was a welcome member of the staff, he would have been kept on. Obviously he was not.

shushu
02-14-2007, 11:48 AM

i thought dyck hand pick his counterpart? why would the team get rid of luke for this, just to bring in trouble... imo i think we have a good gm in place as for the coaching, i say it before and i'l say it again i sure hope this much talent does'nt get waisted on stupidity!! :confused:

Porkchop
02-14-2007, 12:16 PM

I have heard the very same thing many months ago that this was happening(in some cases zero communication with players). Also, I preferred the defensive style played last year with Luke on the staff, and the d core was one year younger last year. Defense first, offense second or you don't play. High risk doesn't work at higher levels (WHL) of hockey.