PDA

View Full Version : news about grabner

thefan
02-27-2005, 09:03 AM
hi - i'm from villach (austria) hometown of chiefs-forward michael grabner and i would be interested in some news about michael!
the only information that we can get here are the stats at the official homepages.
but how does he succeed in the whl? :confused:
how big is his impact on the team? :confused:
what's about his future in spokane - will he get the chance for another season with the chiefs? :confused:

hope to hear some news - thanx & greetings from austria

tf

upper level fan
02-27-2005, 12:17 PM
I like the guy alot. I think he has alot of potential if they play him with the right line mates as I beleive they have been doing as of late. He will be here next year unless he doesnt want to be here. He works hard and if he can get the puck into open ice the other team needs to look out. Hope this helps you out. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

bcboy
02-27-2005, 04:35 PM
I believe the Chiefs have a bright future beceause of good young talent like Michael. I have been to all the home games and managed to catch a few road games as well. IMO he has played very well and showed flashes of what he can really do. He has great speed and seems to have a touch around the net.

This is not a easy league to break into as a rookie. Most all players seem to take some time getting there confidence. Its big fast and very physical. Best JR league in the world. So I have been told :D

That said this fan thinks that Michael will have a very good career in the WHL and I am glad he is playing for the chiefs.

rich67
02-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Micheal is one of the players that all the other teams in the league are going to want on their teams. He is very gifted with his speed and puck handling. In the red and white game[inter squad game at the end of training camp] he showed us just how explosive he can be. :clap: that said, as the season got going he was a little unsure of himself and the style of play. As in almost every case, as a rookie in the league, he had to find his way. I think he has done this very well. I like the way he gives 110% every shift. My wife and I have been going to the games since 90-91, and he is one of the best pure hockey players to play for our team. If he isnt here next year I would be very surprised. Right now the Spokane coaching situation is up in the air[next year], hopfully we get a new headcoach and the sky is the limit for him. The
coach we have now is not the right fit for this age group.
His first WHL goal was a beaut, the puck was flipped high in the air and he raced past everyone broke in alone deked forehand and went backhand topshelf. The place went nuts. He should probably be the first guy in the jaquzzi after every game[ not afraid to take the big hit to make the tough pass or shot].
So in short or long because this is getting pretty long, I think he is going to be a star in this league next year or the year after. Hope this helps, I would like to make a sign for him from his home town, his nickname there or something, to let him know your thinking of him. You can pm [ private message] me to give me the particulars of what you would like on the sign. Good to hear from the hometown fans. Hope to hear back soon.

Probot
02-27-2005, 09:18 PM
I think he has the ability to be one of our top offensive players in the future. He has pretty good speed, and is very aware in the offensive zone. He knows what he wants to with the puck, and hes not affraid to get his nose dirty in the corners. He has also started to pick up the physical play as of late.

thefan
02-28-2005, 03:06 PM
hi!

thank you for the quick answers to my questions.
i'm very happy and proud to hear that michael succeeds that good - since there has been a long discussion between our fans whether he should come back next season to villach or not! and i always thougt, that its better for him (and austrian hockey) to stay abroad (improving his game and getting a chance to play successfull professional hockey) than just bringing him back to help our team! allready last year the fans have had mixed emotions about michael's decision to leave the vsv, because he has had a great impact as rookie on the "major team" at play-offs 2004 - actually he shot an important goal against our "local" rival kac at the finals. loosing him (and his junior-team-mate philipp pinter, now playing for the valley junior warrios/ejhl) was no good sign for this year's team. but in the end the fans were happy to see "their" rookies playing abroad! with the beginning of this year's season there were new discussions about bringing our talents back home - because our major team (vsv) has had a very bad start this season - just with some "nhl-upgrades" (r. divis + e. weinrich - st.louis, e.moreau - edmonton, j. krog - anaheim) the play improved, so that we now have a realistic chance to reach the play-offs.

i'm very happy that michael is that successfull and (according to the postings here) has a "great" future overseas :thumb: . so that he has no reason to come back that quick and has the chance to show abroad, that austrian (and especially villachs) hockey is still improving and rising :clap:

having the chance to get some interesting answers about michael (and american junior hockey) i have some more questions to you: :confused:

how good ("strong") is the whl compared with other junior leagues, like the ushl or the ejhl?
and how good are the junior "b" leagues as there are 2 austrians playing with the banff icemen at the heritage-league?

if michael keeps on playing that good - what would be his next (hockey)chances after the chiefs? - what are the "usual" steps from the whl to "professional hockey"?

how good are his chances to be drafted by the nhl - are there any former chiefs playing in the nhl?

do you think (compared with others from the whl) that michael has a chance to make it to the nhl - or will he just reach a "minor league - level"?

if you're interested in some informations about the vsv: www.ecvsv.at (german site)

and some stats from austrias (and michaels) appearance at the world u20 championship tournament:
http://www.iihf.com/hockey/tournam/tournaments.htm# (button: w20 I A)
and some pics: http://www.vtgav.com/ (button: other hockey)

thanx & greetings from villach :wave:
tf

speedkills
02-28-2005, 07:11 PM
having the chance to get some interesting answers about michael (and american junior hockey) i have some more questions to you: :confused:

how good ("strong") is the whl compared with other junior leagues, like the ushl or the ejhl?
and how good are the junior "b" leagues as there are 2 austrians playing with the banff icemen at the heritage-league?

if michael keeps on playing that good - what would be his next (hockey)chances after the chiefs? - what are the "usual" steps from the whl to "professional hockey"?

how good are his chances to be drafted by the nhl - are there any former chiefs playing in the nhl?

do you think (compared with others from the whl) that michael has a chance to make it to the nhl - or will he just reach a "minor league - level"?

tf

I'll take a stab at what I can...

I'm not too familiar with the ushl or the ejhl other than knowing they exist...BUT, there are quite a few so-called 'North American hockey experts' that will tell you that the CHL (WHL, OHL & QMJHL) are the premier junior hockey leagues in North America. The junior "b" leagues are decent enough but it's a pretty big drop off from the WHL down to that level.

Michael's next step into 'professional hockey' as you put it is entirely up to him and his ability. There are a handful of players that go from the WHL straight into the NHL and quite a few more that go the 'minor leagues' (AHL etc.) for a few years and end up in the NHL after that.

His chances of getting drafted, again, are up to how he progresses over the next season or two. Michael seems to have the talent to at least make the 'minor leagues' here in North America. It's a hard question right now because MOST European players seem to take their rookie year adjusting to the North American style of play which is more 'physical', and on a smaller ice surface. Actually, in my opinion, Michael has picked up the North American style quicker than some of the European players we've had in the past. There are a handful of Chiefs in the NHL, now and in the past...Jon Klemm, Mick Vicoda, Kurt Sauer, Ray Whitney, Pat Falloon, Brad Ference, Valeri Bure...I'm POSITIVE there's a few I'm missing here.

I would say that given constant improvement, Michael has definitely got what it takes for the 'minor league' level. The NHL is a little hard to pin down at this point. As of late, Michael has been pretty 'visible' as a threat and if his development keeps on going I think he's got a pretty good future coming. How he does next year I think will be very 'telling' as far as what his potential for the Higher levels of North American hockey will be. If I were to speculate, I'd say his chances at playing in the NHL are 'decent'. Some NHL team will draft him, signing and making the team is another story. He SHOULD end up being a star in the WHL in my opinion.

thefan
03-03-2005, 06:19 PM
thanx for your detailed answers!

i look forward to hear some more news about michael and his (hopefully good) play-off-performance with the chiefs!

best wishes to the chiefs and their fans
tf

thefan
04-03-2005, 04:24 PM
the 2005 IIHF world u18 championship (div I group a) started today at maribor (slovenia). austria has lost the first game against france 1:4 - michael grabner scored the single goal for the austrian team.

last wednesday austria won the (pre-championship) game against italy 5:2 - michael had an amazing game and scored 3 goals!

thefan
04-06-2005, 04:56 PM
grabner returns successfully to the u18 championship after a 1-game-break because of a match-penalty at the france-game. michael scores 2 goals as austria wins today 4:3 against host-team slovenia. :clap:

LifelongChiefsFan
04-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the updates thefan! It's really cool to hear that Grabner is doing well. Hope he keeps it up and maybe he can help turn the Chiefs around next year.