PDA

View Full Version : Hunt feels for his former assistant

nivek_wahs
02-14-2007, 04:37 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=4c793d24-9f0c-48ea-ac46-0cc2545fcc07

Hunt feels for his former assistant

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Curtis Hunt opened the door for Steve Young to join the Moose Jaw Warriors, but he derived no pleasure from helping show him the exit.

Young was dumped as Moose Jaw's head coach just a few hours after last Tuesday's 6-3 setback against his former boss, who's now running the bench of the arch-rival Regina Pats.

Young was originally hired as Hunt's assistant midway through the 2003-04 campaign. He continued in that capacity under Parry Shockey after Hunt joined the Pats in 2004-05, but Shockey was fired less than half-way into the season. Young was promoted to the top job, which he held for the next two-plus years -- until last week, when his final defeat came at the hands of Hunt's Pats.

The teams meet tonight at the Civic Centre for the first time since Rene Lemire became Moose Jaw's interim head coach.

"Any time a coach gets fired, you can't help but look at your own mortality in this job," offered Hunt, who hired Young away from the SJHL's Melville Millionaires. "I'm friends with Steve and we worked together, so I know the kind of person he is and I know the kind of work ethic he has. We're on the outside now so you just kind of wonder (why it happened). He's a good person. He's a hard-working guy. He's a good coach. I think we'll see him again somewhere. That's my feeling."

Young's departure has prompted much head-scratching across the WHL. Not only was he well liked around the league, Young proved his worth last season by guiding Moose Jaw to its first berth in the WHL final.

When the veteran core of that group either graduated or was traded away, it was assumed that Young would be the chief architect of the team's youth movement. Therefore, when the firing was announced by GM Chad Lang, it was immediately speculated -- right or wrong -- that it had been orchestrated by a meddling board of directors.

Hunt had his own issues with the team's hierarchy over three seasons in Moose Jaw, prompting him to jump ship to Regina. That decision is looking pretty good right now.

"It's done," Hunt said of the Moose Jaw situation. "I'm excited about where I am and proud of where I am. I coach the oldest franchise in the league. I've got terrific support from the top. I've got a committed group of players. I'm surrounded by professionals. I have the best job in the world."

Now his job is to combat a re-energized Moose Jaw squad which will be playing its first home game under Lemire. The interim bench boss posted a 1-2 record in his debut weekend.

"Certainly Rene is going to put his stamp on the team," noted Hunt. "At the same time, it's important that we play our game. We feel that if we execute, it gives us an opportunity at the end of the night to come out ahead. It doesn't matter who we play. What's different about that building is just the emotion factor. You have to make sure you're mentally ready to compete in a tough environment."

When the Pats beat Young's Warriors last week, it was their first victory in three tries this season at the Civic Centre. It was also their easiest win of the campaign over last-place Moose Jaw.

Hunt expects this outing to be different.

"I think there's always a wake-up call when (a head coach) is removed," added the Pats' bench boss. "There's a guilt factor involved. We know they're going to desperate."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007