PDA

View Full Version : Bailey's back

nivek_wahs
02-14-2007, 04:47 AM
http://www.lethbridgeherald.com/article_5922.php

Bailey's back
By Trevor Kenney

Kyle Bailey is back and the Lethbridge Hurricanes can only hope his return will bring back that winning feeling as well.

The overage forward got the go-ahead from doctors Tuesday to return to the lineup, some four weeks removed from a fractured jaw and two weeks ahead of schedule. Aided by a new protective cage that was modified by trainer and team therapist Slim Broderson, Bailey says he’s looking forward to resuming the gritty style that is the hallmark of his game.

“I’m not coming back still injured, I’ll still have the guard on my helmet just to be safe, but I’m not coming back soft, I’m coming back to play my game, to play like Kyle Bailey and do what I can to help the team win,” he said after the team’s workout Tuesday at Adams Ice Centre.

His return couldn’t come at a better time as the ’Canes head to Calgary tonight for the first of their 11 straight road games as they attempt to secure a Central Division playoff spot.

“You have to break it down,” Bailey said of the extended trip. “Right now all we have on our minds is Calgary and that’s obviously a huge game for us.
“The most important thing is to just keep doing that, take it one game at a time, we can’t look past Calgary and then after that, we can’t look past Chilliwack because that’s when you get into trouble. We need the two points every time we come out.”

It’s an attitude echoed by head coach Michael Dyck.

“The bottom line is that if you look at this by yourself, it is insurmountable, but if you do it together and we work together as a unit . . .” he said.
The return of Bailey once again solidifies the Hurricanes forward units, allowing the trio of Bailey, Zach Boychuk and Carter Bancks to be reunited, as well as the Mitch Fadden, Kris Hogg, Kyle Lamb trio.

“It just gives us more depth, more room to work with some other guys,” Dyck said. “Now, where we really had to rely on one line to create offence for us on the road, we’ve got everybody healthy and we can roll four lines and be confident with that.”

Bailey is no stranger to major injuries at key times, having suffered a broken leg and ankle in Game 7 of last spring’s first playoff round with Portland. This, being his 20-year-old season, is his last chance to go deep in the WHL playoffs and he intends to take advantage of the opportunity.

“It sort of got the monkey off my back last year because I’d never been to the second round and then I ended up breaking my leg in the seventh game of the first round,” he said. “We ended up winning but it was much tougher watching from the sidelines in that circumstance.

“Hopefully we can get in there (this year) because I think we’ve got the type of team that can do some damage once we do get in there.”

ICE CHIPS — The first leg of the trip sees the ’Canes in Calgary tonight, Chilliwack Friday and Everett on Saturday . . . Bailey, who served as another coach on the bench while injured, said he had his eyes opened to the job. “I didn’t realize it was as tough as that, you can get pretty emotional. I always thought it was something maybe I’d want to be doing when I was done playing but I don’t know, after my little stint there I might have to get a desk job because it was so tough.” . . . Hurricanes will lose D Travis Bobbee Feb. 21 when he heads to Whitehorse for the Canada Winter Games.

© Copyright by Lethbridge Herald.com

moon
02-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Great news.

This guy has been huge for us since coming over at the trade deadline. Its too bad we haven't had him here all year and that he is an over-ager. I would have loved to have him back again next year.

Hopefully playing with the face shield doesn't affect his play too much.

peatfan
02-15-2007, 03:09 PM
Looked good with Boychuk & Bancks. Was one of the better lines in the game. Good game by both teams. Vantuch had one of his better games here and Leclerc had another solid game against us. I hate him. He always come up big against us. Wright was big on the blueline. hat else is new. Both teams deserved to win but you guys capitialized on your chances. Congrats on the win applause and good luck on your road trip.