PDA

View Full Version : Beach out 2 Weeks

Tipped Off
02-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Kyle Beach going to play with boys his own age at Canada Games

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - The Everett Silvertips are about to lose one of their top players for two weeks.

And Everett Silvertips general manager Doug Soetaert isn't exactly happy about the timing.

Everett left wing Kyle Beach is preparing to join Team British Columbia for the Canada Winter Games, meaning the Silvertips will be without one of their top offensive threats as the regular season winds down.

"I find it really interesting that they're taking players in the middle of the season," Soetaert said. "I think Hockey Canada has to take a look at the impact it has on teams."

Beach will be with the Tips for this weekend's three contests, then take off for the Games, which take place Feb.24-Mar. 2 in Whitehorse, Yukon. This year the Games replace the U-17 World Hockey Challenge, which is usually held around Christmas and New Year's.

Two other Silvertip players/prospects are headed to the games. Defenseman Matt Strong, who has been called up twice this season and appeared in seven games, was selected for Team Alberta, and forward Jordan Mistelbacher, called up once for three games, will represent Manitoba.

Beach will remain in Canada when the team plays at Chilliwack on Sunday, joining the rest of Team B.C. for a short training camp in Vancouver before departing Feb. 22 for Whitehorse.

"Competing for your province is the first stage of competing for your country, so it's pretty exciting," Beach said. "(Whether to participate) was a bit of a question earlier in the season.

"We were going to have to contemplate whether it was worth going. But the team is good enough here in Everett that I think they'll be able to do fine without me for a week or two."

Beach is hardly the only WHL player going to the games. Team B.C. alone includes many WHL players, including regulars such as forwards Thomas Frazee (Portland) and Tyler Shattock (Kamloops), and defensemen Mike Reddington (Spokane) and Colten Teubert (Regina).

But none of those 16-year-olds has had the same kind of impact as Beach. Beach is Everett's third-leading scorer and is tops among WHL 16-year-olds with 53 points. He will miss at least seven of Everett's games. Fortunately for Everett, the Tips have already clinched a playoff berth. But had they still been fighting for a spot, losing a player of Beach's caliber at that time could have been a serious problem.

"Kyle Beach shouldn't have to go to this thing," Soetaert said. "He's proving himself among 17-, 18-, 19- and 20-year-olds. So to go back and play with a bunch of 16-year-olds for two weeks makes no sense at all. People know who he is and what he's all about.

"I can see it for kids who aren't playing regular in the Western Hockey League," Soetaert added. "But the boys who are playing a lot shouldn't have to go to this thing. It's something I think Hockey Canada and our league has to look at."

Strong remains: Strong will remain with the team this week before heading off to the Canada Winter Games.

Strong was an emergency call-up last weekend because of injuries on defense. Graham Potuer is out another 2-3 weeks with his wrist injury, and Mike Alexander still has lingering effects from a concussion suffered three weeks ago.

"We're taking precautionary measures with Alexander, making sure he's 100 percent before getting back in the lineup," Soetaert said. "So in that case Matt Strong will probably be here over the weekend."

While Strong is staying, Mistelbacher, who spent the past two weeks with the team, returned to the Winnipeg Saints of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League.

Stay-Puft
02-14-2007, 05:54 PM
I may be way off base with this, but how different is this situtation than when teams lost players to the U-20 tournament. Was there this much noise from the GM when Mueller went to play for the US team or Irving for Canada? I don't see how Everett will be that hurt losing 1 regular, compared to the 2 at World Juniors. Last time I checked, the 3rd leading scorer means you still have your top 2, plus one of the top goalies in the CHL.
Quote "Kyle Beach shouldn't have to go to this thing," Soetaert said. "He's proving himself among 17-, 18-, 19- and 20-year-olds. So to go back and play with a bunch of 16-year-olds for two weeks makes no sense at all. People know who he is and what he's all about. "I can see it for kids who aren't playing regular in the Western Hockey League," Soetaert added. "But the boys who are playing a lot shouldn't have to go to this thing. It's something I think Hockey Canada and our league has to look at." End Quote

I would think the GM would be proud to have players from his organization represent their respective province , not put themselves (or himself) above it. TC loses 2 dmen on an already depleted blueline, but they aren't crying about, at least not to the media. I would think this would be great promotion for the league and its teams. Edit: TC also loses Kruise Reddick to Team Saskatchewan for this time. 3 "regulars" or "boys who are playing a lot" off one team jockeying for position where 7 points currently separates 2nd from 4th, unlike Everett with a 20 point lead in the division and 6 games in hand and only down 2 points for best record in the league losing 1 regular.
Just my opinion.

Tipped Off
02-14-2007, 06:35 PM
I agree with you, actually. In the article Beach did say earlier in the season they weren't sure if he should go. It sounds to me like if they were in a tight division race and the team was struggling hard to generate offense, he wouldn't be going.
Over the past few weeks his scoring has decreased and he's not come out with the same impact he has earlier in the yer offensively. This probably is a good move, if for no other reason, than to give his confidence a boost.

That being said, it sounds to me more like Stoetart is whning about the Timing rather than the actual tournament. This one is just taking place so late in the year. That being said, had they all happened at the same time we would have been one mroe player short so, to me, it seems a good idea to seperate them.

Beaner
02-14-2007, 07:13 PM
Wow, I'm a bit surprised at this.

What are they going to do if he gets invited to the WJC tryouts next year?

They had more than enough warning about it. Every team losses players to these tournaments all season long.

rinkrat
02-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Sounds like Sidney Crosby not showing up for the prospects game in Vancouver.

Tipped Off
02-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Actually...it's nothing like SC not showing up. Sidney didn't show up becasue he didn't want to. Beach wants to play, but it's the team that seems like they don't want him to go. Two completely different situations.

Bran
02-15-2007, 12:11 PM
I don't get why it's such a big deal? Everett pretty much has the division locked up, let him go. A team like the Pats has much more reason to be concerned about losing players and even Parker isn't complaining about it! Losing Teubert may not have quite the impact of losing Beach, but he's an important part of this team. The Pats losing Eberle is at least as much of a hit as Everett losing Beach, add Teubert in there and the fact that Regina hasn't clinched a playoff spot and are in a big battle right now and their loss is huge. These teams all knew this was coming.

WHL Rules
02-15-2007, 12:56 PM
I'd say it's even worse for Sarnia in the OHL. They are loosing their top player in Stamkos (7th in scoring in the OHL - 15 points more than their second best player) and they haven't secured a play-off spot yet either.

nelson951
02-21-2007, 01:17 AM
This Beach? Boogaard'd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8KSrwW6qEg

:D

eecliff
02-21-2007, 11:18 PM
How about Kelowna, they are tied for the last playoff spot and are losing 5 players to this tournament.
Come on Everett, get with the program :confused:

ee.....

Carebear
02-21-2007, 11:49 PM
I wonder if he's learned anything from this.

woody
02-22-2007, 12:08 PM
Yes, I think '16's are all learning, including Kyle. Note that he won the game against Lethbridge and was awarded #1 Star, before he caught that punch in Chilliwack and hit the ice hard (Interesting that plus/minus on Beach is +27 and Smuk is -27). So, Beach returns to again earn the #1 Star in the next game against PG. That's impressive. He also set a new rookie scoring record for the Tips, passing Mueller's 57 points from last season. Kyle should be back for the 3/3 game against the Chiefs. Hopefully well, rested and wiser.

HAF
02-22-2007, 01:58 PM
(Interesting that plus/minus on Beach is +27 and Smuk is -27).

Wow, dont you think that goaltending and the other 4 guys they are on a line with might have something to do with their +/- rating? Also, no one was comparing Smuks numbers to Beach's. They were just stating that he rung his bell pretty good.

He also set a new rookie scoring record for the Tips, passing Mueller's 57 points from last season.

Good for Beach but lets look at this realistically, he broke the rookie scoring record for a team that is only 4 years old.

No one has questioned whether Beach can play the game and contribute to the success of the team. What they are discussing is whether he can keep up a balance between agitator and scoring threat over the next 3 to 4 years.

Tipped Off
02-22-2007, 04:34 PM
If anything, all those great offensive stats show just how stupid he sometimes is. I mean he's +27, he set the rookie scoring record, all the positives you and everyone else has mentioned...yet with his team down 1-0 against a team they should beat he decides to go to a penalty box for 5 minutes (or as it turns out get taken out of the game by a punch) on a night when he knows two offensive players are missing (Mueller with the Flu and Sonne with his injured Spleen).

If anything, this is a night when he has to say to himself... no matter what anyone does to me, I've got to keep my head in this game and provide some offense. He has to know when to pick his spots. Team way behind/team way ahead with a full arsenal and someone chipping at him....by all means, go for it. Close game with some offensive players missing or not on their game...keep focused and stay in the game.

woody
02-22-2007, 04:38 PM
I simply thought it was 'interesting' that they had those a-similar numbers for plus/minus ratings (I say let's keep an opponent's -27 players on the ice). And you're probably correct, Kyle may have little to do with his own +27 rating, or for busting a team record (maybe his numbers will be better after 7 more regular season games). Some would say that the Memorial Cup is no big deal. I suppose it's all in the eye of the beholder. I'm impressed.