PDA

View Full Version : Giants 2 at Tri-Cities 5 Feb 14, 2007

Swando
02-14-2007, 11:22 PM
Well I think that you can sum up this game in one word GOALTENDING. Tyson Sexsmith got the start and was scored on his 2nd shot of the game via the 5 hole. On his 4th shot he allowed a goal with 17 secs left in the 1st.
To start the second period Tyson mishandled a a shot from the point and it dribbled in to make it 3 goals on 6 shots. Sexsmith was replaced by Neufeld and after making a good save a shot from the point beat him along the ice. Thus the Americans had scored 4 goals on 8 shots.

Watt scored a fluke goal on Price to tie the game at 1 and Repik scored on a pass from Rabbit to make it 4-2 . Tri Cities scored late to make the final 5-2 on the pink ice . Giants out shot the Americans 39-20 (or close to that)
I truly thot the Gaints were the better team. They controlled the play and their shots were not of the weak variety. Plain and simple Sexsmith was terrible and Price was very good. You can't give up weak goals against this team becasue you don't get many past Price.

rinkrat
02-14-2007, 11:24 PM
It was the pink ice. Boogaard'd

Stay-Puft
02-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Go to this link to take a look at the pink ice. I wonder if they sold the shavings from the Zamboni as cherry-flavored snow cones? :)

http://www.amshockey.com/gameinfo.src?ID=1505

SixSixOne
02-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Go to this link to take a look at the pink ice. I wonder if they sold the shavings from the Zamboni as cherry-flavored snow cones? :)

http://www.amshockey.com/gameinfo.src?ID=1505

Wow, what the heck is thatBoogaard'dis my laptop screen going funny?
Why oh why would you make pink ice http://whlfans.ca/images/smilies/confused.gif

Carebear
02-15-2007, 01:13 PM
I kinda like it! ....IF IT WAS FOR A FIGURE SKATING COMPETITION!

ihlemic10
02-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Canadians don't get Breast Cancer?

rinkrat
02-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Canadians don't get Breast Cancer?

How do you explain green ice on March 17?

I think pink ice (or green) is rediculous,I would've left the game.There's hundreds of other ways to raise money for cancer.Believe me we hear the adds every day.And while i'm at it,the fundraising should be for cancer period.Not breast,kidney,prostrate,brain or skin.

ihlemic10
02-15-2007, 02:24 PM
How do you explain green ice on March 17?

One too many drunk guys puking.

Stay-Puft
02-15-2007, 04:58 PM
I think pink ice (or green) is rediculous,I would've left the game.There's hundreds of other ways to raise money for cancer.Believe me we hear the adds every day.And while i'm at it,the fundraising should be for cancer period.Not breast,kidney,prostrate,brain or skin.

And it would be within your rights to leave the game to show your disapproval of how the team chose to promote the awareness event. I know my wife's first thought was "This is different." She didn't make last years.

Here's my take on it. The fact that previous ownerships, which are now Vancouver and Chilliwack, said to the league and through the media that this area would not support a team. Now the community is coming to the team to promote breast cancer awareness and not only are they OK with this, but this ownership will back them up by assisting with the effort by having the guys wear pink jerseys in warmups that they will sell in auction, just like they do with the MDA in which they raised $10,000. Talk about a community turn-around. Personally, I applaude this ownership group for taking the steps to get out into the community and to see what's important to them, rather than say "hey, we are here and we play hockey", make no effort to reach out into the community, complain to the media and league that no one shows up and then threaten to leave. And if this is what it takes to show people that you care about the community, which I think has been missing from previous ownerships, then by all means do it. I'm sure the league would have had to approve the ice condition and the teams involved would have to approve it also.

Just like with everything, some won't like it and some will and that's fine. Its only 1, except this time 2, games a year. With the sucess that it is having here, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen elsewhere in the league in the next few years or at least something similar. I just wish they went a few hues lighter on the color. That's a pretty dark pink, almost purple. I could barely see the end red line, and I sit right on top of it!

HAF
02-15-2007, 08:46 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen elsewhere in the league in the next few years or at least something similar.

I read somewhere that Spokane is doing it sometime next month.

Kassian
02-15-2007, 11:55 PM

If I remember correctly, Spokane had green ice last season for St. Patrick's Day.

dondo
02-16-2007, 01:11 AM
call me a purist but ice should be white .. pink pfft! .. green pfft pfft!

Stay-Puft
02-16-2007, 10:48 AM
This was on Spokane's Website. The game is against Portland. Hadn't heard about Spokane doing green ice on St Patrick's Day.
http://www.spokanechiefs.com/news/?ID=1692

CHIEFS TO PLAY IN THE PINK ON FEBRUARY 24TH
2/9/2007

The Spokane Chiefs will play in the pink on Saturday, February 24 to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer. The Chiefs will play on pink ice as part of a special evening benefiting the Eastern Washington Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Chiefs will also demonstrate their personal commitment to promoting breast cancer awareness by wearing pink skate laces, pink ribbons on their helmets and using pink stick tape.

In addition to a $500 donation from the night’s sponsor, Covey Run Winery, the Chiefs will hold a silent auction featuring one-of-a-kind collectible team memorabilia, with the proceeds benefiting the Komen Eastern Washington Affiliate. Group discounts are being offered for supporters of the Eastern Washington Affiliate. Supporters will receive a $2 ticket discount. In addition, a $1 of each group ticket sold will be donated directly to the Affiliate. To receive this discount, simply call the Spokane Chiefs at 509-535-PUCK and mention that you are a supporter of Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

The game will also be broadcast live on Comcast Channel 12 beginning at 7pm.

Eastern Washington Affiliate

The Eastern Washington Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure has raised more than $497,000 for breast cancer education, screening, detection and treatment since its formation in 2003. The Affiliate serves Adams, Asotin, Benton, Columbia, Ferry, Franklin, Garfield, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Spokane, Stevens, Walla Walla and Whitman Counties. For more information on the Eastern Washington Affiliate, log onto www.komenspokane.org.

Susan G. Komen for the Cure
The Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, working through a network of Affiliates and events like the Komen Race for the Cure®, is fighting to eradicate breast cancer as a life-threatening disease. In addition to funding research grants, meritorious awards and educational and scientific programs, the Foundation supports education, screening and treatment projects in communities around the world. For more information or to join the fight against breast cancer, visit the Foundation's Web site at www.komen.org or call 1.800 I'M AWARE®.

Bran
02-16-2007, 01:03 PM
It's not a light tint, either, it's really quite pink! Is it difficult to see the lines or watch the game? It's obviously got people talking, so maybe it served its purpose. I believe October was Breast Cancer Awareness month and the Pats had pink ribbons painted on the ice for the entire month. They used pink sticks which were autographed and auctioned off and sold pink Pats hats (actually kinda cute!) and raised a fair bit of money. I see nothing wrong with creating an awareness about a devastating disease. I don't know that I could deal with pink ice, though! To each their own.

Sorry...wasn't this thread supposed to be about the game?

dondo
02-16-2007, 02:18 PM
the ice is part of the game :p

actually for these special events if it was simply tinted (very lightly) it wouldn't be so much of a problem (in terms of play) but the pink swirls and lines are very distracting just looking at the pictures -- I can't begin to imagine how they would affect the play, being able to see the puck and lines etc.

Maybe the problem isn't with the concept but rather the ham-fisted execution of the tinting, however, that said -- for me this just opens the door for what the broadcasters want with the freaking blue ice and orange lines to be TV friendly and that is not acceptable.

The cause might be good, but I think tinting the ice for any reason is a slippery slope. There's already way too much advertising on the ice and tinting the ice (esp for something as frivolous as St Pattys Day) sends the game in a direction we do not want to see it go. Or at least I don't and I don't think I'm in the minority.

Section_Z
02-16-2007, 04:32 PM
I suppose this thread has gone off topic, but none seems to be bringing it back to the game...
My take. Save the money in materials and labour (labor in WA) it costs to melt and resurface the ice twice...Donate it to Cancer.

Stay-Puft
02-16-2007, 06:03 PM
OK, back to the game. Swando had it right. The game came down to goaltending. Price was solid and Sexsmith wasn't. It could have been worse though, as the Ams had no less than 3 shots clank off the iron in the second. Even when it was 4-2 in the third though it looked like the Giants could very easily get on the board in a hurry with the effort they were putting in. A couple of pucks bounced over sticks with an open side of the net or just out of the reach of a Giant with Price sliding over. I thought that the Ams 5 d-men, having 3 regulars, 1 moving from forward to d-line and 1 just brought up from the AJHL, held on against a very talented 4 lines. Even Boogaard saw a shift as a d-man on a penalty kill in the 3rd.