PDA

View Full Version : Recap on the game please?

Tidball
02-18-2007, 01:18 AM
I know you guys probably want to forget about this one, but i would really apprecaite it if someone could give me a fight recap, and maybe the overall game too.

Big Ern
02-18-2007, 02:02 AM
I'll spell it out for you: G-O-A-L-T-E-N-D-I-N-G.....I was abseloutely embarassed! There were five goals that should have never gotten in! I don't know what to say! The Blades are a good team. Allowing seven goals kills momentum. WE CAN'T DO THAT!!! I hope our goalies get it figured out....QUICK!! They can, and they hopefully will, so LET'S GO SWIFTY, and no Blades, you're not catching us! LOL

Scout
02-18-2007, 08:07 AM
Last updated at 11:03 PM on 17/02/07

Blades dominate Broncos in humbling 7-1 contest

BOOSTER STAFF
The Southwest Booster

The Swift Current Broncos learned a lesson at the hands of the visiting Saskatoon Blades at the Civic Centre on Saturday night.
Shoot the puck!
Saskatoon fired 42 shots on goal and directed pucks on goal from every angle imaginable while collecting a workmanlike 7-1 win over the Broncos.
The Bronco netminding tandem of Kyle Moir and Travis Yonkman were unable to solve Saskatoon's shooting attack, with both giving up goals they would certainly like back. Regardless, it marked the ninth time this season the Broncos have had to change goaltenders in the middle of a game. Moir yielded three goals on seven shots in the opening 17:10 of play. Yonkman lasted until the 14:12 mark of the second but was pulled after getting beaten three times on 17 shots. Moir returned to finish the game and turned aside 17 of 18 shots.
Ryan Menei notched his team leading 32nd, 33rd, and 34th goals of the year ito spark Saskatoon's offence. The Blades also had goals from Walker Wintoneak, Garrett Klotz, Chris Cloud and rookie Troy Crowley with his first WHL goal.
Kyle Bortis notched the lone Swift Current goal during a first period powerplay.
Blades netminder Braden Holtby posted his 15th win of the year with a 22-save performance.
Saskatoon also taught the Broncos a lesson in desire, as the Blades have won the last four meetings between the clubs while Saskatoon is fighting tooth and nail for a playoff spot.
Blades forward Craig Cuthbert, playing in his hometown for the first time since been acquired by Saskatoon in a trade deadline move, was excited about getting back on the Civic Centre ice.
“Any time you come back it is exciting. To get two points is huge because I am back here, but we are still fighting to make the playoffs. It is exciting to come back here and play in front of family and friends and everyone who I grew up with.”
The win moved the Blades to within six points of the fourth and final playoff spot in the East Division and to within seven points of the Broncos.
“We are one of the younger teams in the league if you look at the age of our roster. We pride ourselves on our work ethic. We feel that if we play with a great work ethic and character we can be in any game with any team, a first place team or teams full of 19 and 20-year-olds.”
The Broncos, who have 12 game remaining in the regular season, now prepared to end their current five game home stand on Wednesday against the Tri-City Americans. Swift Current is just 1-3 during this current home stretch and 16-14-1-0 overall at the Civic Centre.

ointhecreek
02-18-2007, 09:54 AM
I'll probably get flamed for this but... how can a team go from playing like a well oiled machine to playing like a bunch of clowns? Goaltending couldn't stop a beach ball from the top of the face-off circle and once again defence couldn't clear the zone. Offense and power play couldn't take it in blades end without going off side and couldn't handle the puck. Just a complete comedy of errors. I better stop now before I say something I'll regret. So disappointed right now. :(
OK, open 4 flaming. :rolleyes:

GBG BLEED BLUE
02-18-2007, 10:05 AM
The Blades knew that this game was the one that could make or break their season and,I do not know what happened with the Broncos(everyone says it was goaltending)I am sure that the Broncos did not take the Blades lightly.

The Blades also played with 3 regular defencemen(Cole,Ward,and Klassen) with Gillies and Patterson being the 4th and 5th defencemen.

There is one more meeting between these two teams at Credit Union Centre on Wednesdsay,February 28th.

Scout
02-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Keep the trolling off this forum. This is your first and last warning.

Toswammi
02-18-2007, 12:47 PM
I'll probably get flamed for this but... how can a team go from playing like a well oiled machine to playing like a bunch of clowns? Goaltending couldn't stop a beach ball from the top of the face-off circle and once again defence couldn't clear the zone. Offense and power play couldn't take it in blades end without going off side and couldn't handle the puck. Just a complete comedy of errors. I better stop now before I say something I'll regret. So disappointed right now. :(
OK, open 4 flaming. :rolleyes:
No thats about right. Bottom line is we SUCKED. The Legionaries would have beaten us yesturday. If we play like that against a good team we will get stomped and the scoreboard will look like a NFL game

Tidball
02-18-2007, 01:12 PM
How did that aspect in this game go?

ointhecreek
02-18-2007, 01:59 PM
How did that aspect in this game go?
Well, Rumsey made the mistake of going toe to toe against Klotz and his longer reach. Rummer got some good shots in but not as many as Klotz. Give Klotz the clear desicion with knock down.
Larochelle hung a real lickin' on Geric for acting like an idiot when he back picked non-fighter Wudrick.

Tidball
02-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Well, Rumsey made the mistake of going toe to toe against Klotz and his longer reach. Rummer got some good shots in but not as many as Klotz. Give Klotz the clear desicion with knock down.
Larochelle hung a real lickin' on Geric for acting like an idiot when he back picked non-fighter Wudrick.

Im glad Klotz is getting some more fights in. He should be 1 of the best heavywieghts next year. And maybe even the best 2 years from now.

Geric himself is a non fighter, agreeing to go with LaRochelle was probably not one of his smarter choices. He also shouldnt be picking on non fighter rookies. Geric should go after guys like Leavold, Palazzo, people like that...

Thanks for those 2 fight recaps, anything good happen on Gerics other fight? How about Macauley who is deffinately a non fighter, i was kinda suprised to see that he tussled.

I wish we had more D-men so Ward can start fighting again. He took on Rumsey this season(maybe the last game in Swift) and gave Rumsey a pretty good shiner, which i was suprised to see. From what i hear Ward is REALLY strong, though he doesnt throw much, if he connects with 1 good one, thats all he needs.

So yeah, any other fight recaps before i get too far off topic.

PS(Would you Bronco fans like to teach us how to beat PA. That would be great:) )

ointhecreek
02-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Im glad Klotz is getting some more fights in. He should be 1 of the best heavywieghts next year. And maybe even the best 2 years from now.

Geric himself is a non fighter, agreeing to go with LaRochelle was probably not one of his smarter choices. He also shouldnt be picking on non fighter rookies. Geric should go after guys like Leavold, Palazzo, people like that...

Thanks for those 2 fight recaps, anything good happen on Gerics other fight? How about Macauley who is deffinately a non fighter, i was kinda suprised to see that he tussled.

Macauley and Claffey was pretty much a draw, if anything maybe Caffey had slight edge.
Geric/Wudrick would have to give edge to Geric only because he grabbed Wudrick by the face from behind. I think the thing that PO'd the broncos is that Macauley and Geric acted like they won a championship fight in the penalty box. Leovold was jawing with Geric and figured they would go when he got out but RJ beat leovold to it.

PS(Would you Bronco fans like to teach us how to beat PA. That would be great:) )

Absolutely not! Don't need you guys gaining anymore points on us, lol.

Scout
02-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Keen's Korner

Sunday, February 18, 2007
Glass Half Full or Half Empty?

Sorry for the late post. I just needed some time to think about my stance on last night's game vs the Blades.

Which position do you want to take right now with this team? I must admit it's often easier to take the "half empty" approach. I'll break down both arguments and you can decide.

Half Empty

Some fans would agree that it's not the losses, it the way this team is losing. Home games haven't been close lately when the Broncos are on the short end. 7-2 against Regina, 3-0 vs Spokane, 9-6 vs Moose Jaw, 6-1 vs Red Deer, 6-3 vs Brandon and last night's 7-1 loss to Saskatoon. Some nights this team just can't stop the bleeding. 4-0 turns to 6-0, 4-1 leads to 7-1. That is awfully frustrating for fans to see the score being run up like that on home ice. It's embarrassing really. I feel bad for our guys, for our fans.

Goaltending. Where has it been since the trade deadline? Last night or maybe the game vs Moose Jaw was the worst it's been all season. Our goalies appear shaky from the get-go and can't pull it together. Shots go in from everywhere. Even lady luck turns sour and funny hops and bounces end up in the back of the net. I was very disappointed last night with this aspect of the game. Our goaltenders have to be more prepared to play. Broncos Assistant Coach Dave Hunchak and I got into it during the post-game Coaches Show. He refused to point fingers when everyone else in the building saw what happened. Hunch has to take that stand and I don't blame him. It's a team game and that's the bottom line. It got interesting as you may have heard, but when the mics go off, we're cool and I respect him for that. I think he knows I have a job to do and have to keep my credibility with Bronco fans who no doubt would want to ask the same questions. I work for the radio station not the Broncos and sometimes my reporter instincts get the best of me. If I worked for the team, maybe I don't get into as much detail. As a (former) goaltender I know how much a bad goal can sag a team. There's nothing worse then battling hard only to see a softy go in from long range. When players look to the ceiling in dis-belief after a goal, that's a bad sign. I've seen it before first-hand. It can really be a breaking point of a game.

We had a chance to virtually end the playoff hopes of the Saskatoon Blades and didn't show up. If the Broncos win that game, that's pretty much it for the Blades playoff chances. They knew it too. They were playing with their season on the line and were not afraid to share that fact in the pre-game interviews I had. The Broncos knew it was coming. They were flat as they committed 19 turnovers in the first period alone.

Is that enough "half empty" examples? I'm sure there are more but we'll move on.

Half Full

There are still several positives one can look at. This team is still sitting in 3rd place in the east division after the weekend after climbing past Prince Albert by a single point. 3rd place! To be honest the WHL pundits had pegged this team to finish as high as 4th and as low as 6th in the division this season. Many people thought the playoff teams would be Regina, Moose Jaw, Brandon, Saskatoon in that order. That was the consensus. That still may happen, but it's not the likely scenario. One could still make the case this team is over-achieving based on their ranking in the east division.

If you've followed this blog for awhile, you would remember the "Cruel Summer" post when I recapped a tough 2002 bantam draft for this team, (it's in the November archives on this site if you're interested). The players picked that year would be our 19 year-olds this season. They are the core of any team looking to make a playoff run. It was the toughest draft year maybe in history for this team. Of the four 19 year-olds on this team, none came from that draft. Jerrid Sauer, a 6th round pick was traded to Medicine Hat for Spencer McAvoy and Dale Wiese. That is all we have to show presently for that draft year. My point is, on paper, this wasn't supposed to be "the year" for this club. Don't worry it's coming. I believe that. A bright future lies ahead.

Here's another half full approach. The Broncos still made out ok this weekend in the standings. Entering, they were seven points ahead of Saskatoon and nine ahead of Moose Jaw. They still are, but each team now has two less games remaining. Plus, they jumped ahead of the Raiders for third. The Broncos can tread water with these teams the rest of the regular season. It's the other three that have to start making up ground. Plus they gained two points on Regina over the last two nights and are six back of the Pats for 2nd place and home ice advantage. Not bad.

So, there are two ways you can look at the situation. It's up to you what approach you want to take. Now it's your turn. What position do you want to take? Let's hear from you.

Hey, good luck to Phil Gervais and Geordie Wudrick who have now left the team for the Canada Winter Games in the Yukon to represent the provinces of Alberta and B.C. Bring home some hardware boys.

Safe travels to all the Broncos family who made it here for Parents Weekend. See you all on the road.

Enjoy the rest of your long weekend. Now, it's off to the outdoor rink for some fun.

Jon

Big Ern
02-18-2007, 07:54 PM
My glass will never be "half empty," unless we are ever eliminated from the playoffs. Right now, we just have to turn it around. Yes, I'm still confident. Bigger things have happened, especially in hockey. C'mon everyone! Just keep coming to the CCC. LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!