PDA

View Full Version : Blades' returnees say a mouthful

nivek_wahs
02-20-2007, 05:07 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=8892a943-3d19-455f-b791-f54a5178a7e5

Blades' returnees say a mouthful

Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Teigan Zahn is a Saskatchewan farm boy and Rastislav Konecny hails from Slovakia, but they've been speaking with the same accent.

Both had their mouths wired shut as they recovered from broken jaws.

"There was lots of mumbling going on," said Zahn, a rookie defenceman with the Saskatoon Blades.

"We spoke my language," Konecny said jokingly. "It was just, 'Errr rahr rawww.' Now we're both able to play and I am excited."

Coach-GM Lorne Molleken expects to have Zahn and Konecny back in the lineup tonight when the Calgary Hitmen visit Credit Union Centre. Both have been out since early January.

Four regulars remain sidelined. Forward Kenton Dulle suffered a concussion during Friday's 3-2 loss in Medicine Hat. Defencemen Joe Logan, Bohdan Visnak and Ryan Funk are also on the shelf, and Logan (concussion) is the only one expected back this season.

"Zahn will give us four true defencemen, but (Gaelan) Patterson and (Colton) Gillies have been real good back there for us," said Molleken. "They've played very well and allowed us to give the other three guys (Brad Cole, Sam Klassen and Brett Ward) a bit of a rest."

Konecny has 22 points in 33 games this season. He ranked third in team scoring before going down Jan. 5 in Brandon.

"He gives us a second unit on the power play," said Molleken. "In the early part of the year, when he was playing with (Gillies), they provided some necessary scoring for us and we're hoping that he'll be able to chip in offensively again."

Konecny and Zahn both dropped several pounds while convalescing. For the first couple of weeks, they drank their meals through straws and, frankly, it sucked.

"It was really hard to watch other guys eat real food and I could just drink some shakes," said Konecny, who has regained half of the 20 pounds he lost.

"The worst part was not playing hockey," added Zahn, who grew up near Bethune, "but other than that the food you we were eating didn't seem normal. You got sick of soup pretty quick."

Zahn expects to play tonight versus Calgary and then Wednesday in Moose Jaw. After that, he and Patterson join Team Saskatchewan for the Canada Winter Games in Whitehorse. They'll miss at least four Blade games.

"I'm definitely excited about going to Whitehorse, but then again, I kind of want to stay back and help (the Blades) reach the playoffs," said Zahn, who broke his jaw Jan. 9 versus Seattle. "With defencemen going out, it's a tough situation to leave."

Saturday's 7-1 win in Swift Current helped the Blades stay within striking distance of a playoff spot. Saskatoon (22-31-2-2) sits six points behind the fourth-place Prince Albert Raiders (24-28-3-3), who have played one more game. The Blades are seven points behind Swift Current (26-31-1-2) and Saskatoon has three games in hand.

"We're running out of games and the players know the importance of each game," said Molleken. "We still play Swift Current (Feb. 28 in Saskatoon) and we still have lots of games within our division."

Of the Blades' 15 remaining games, nine are versus East Division foes.

BLADES 7, BRONCOS 1

Ryan Menei recorded his first career hat trick and Troy Crowley netted his first WHL goal Saturday as the Blades routed the Broncos.

Garrett Klotz, Walker Wintoneak and Chris Cloud also scored for Saskatoon. Saskatoon product Kyle Bortis was the lone Bronco to beat netminder Braden Holtby.

Swift Current goaltenders struggled mightily. Kyle Moir started, but got the hook late in the first after Klotz's long shot gave Saskatoon a 3-1 lead. Moir returned to the crease in the second after Travis Yonkman surrendered three goals.

The Blades outshot the Broncos 42-23.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007

nivek_wahs
02-20-2007, 05:13 AM
It's good to see the Blades kinda getting healthy and making a push for a playoff spot... Good luck.

GBG BLEED BLUE
02-20-2007, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the good luck Kevin,I hope the Pats do well in the playoffs as well(of course I hope the Blades can get there too),they have the right amount of fight in them and getting Zahn and Konecny back will help.

Now all I hope for is for nobody to get injured again and that both of them can stay healthy for the rest of the year.

silverbullet
02-20-2007, 02:55 PM
Four regulars remain sidelined. Forward Kenton Dulle suffered a concussion during Friday's 3-2 loss in Medicine Hat. Defencemen Joe Logan, Bohdan Visnak and Ryan Funk are also on the shelf, and Logan (concussion) is the only one expected back this season.

Does this mean Dulle is done for the season as well, or just Funk and Visnak???

GBG BLEED BLUE
02-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Does this mean Dulle is done for the season as well, or just Funk and Visnak???
well I would hope not,as of right now just Funk,and Visnak are done for the season.