PDA

View Full Version : Bosch excelling under pressure

nivek_wahs
02-21-2007, 04:20 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=738caae2-7583-4cb5-8113-94626ac42fb0

Bosch excelling under pressure

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Jeff Bosch can't mask his excitement.

The 16-year-old goaltender is padding an already impressive resume with a veritable hat trick of hockey credits: His recent WHL debut with the Regina Pats, a starting assignment with Team Saskatchewan at the upcoming Canada Games, and a pending playoff foray with the midget AAA Saskatoon Blazers.

For Bosch, it's a case of 'pick your pleasure.'

"It has been pretty exciting as of late," offered the native of Martensville. "It took lots of hard work (to get these opportunities). It seems like it's all starting to pay off for me."

Bosch isn't yet a household name at the WHL level, but he may be soon.

Regina's goalie-of-the-future had an auspicious debut Saturday night against the Medicine Hat Tigers, starting his first WHL game as an injury replacement for Linden Rowat.

Although Regina lost 3-1, Bosch made 36 saves and was named the game's third star, putting a scare into the top team in the Eastern Conference.

"It really was like a roller coaster," Bosch said with a grin. "They called me late (Friday) night and told me they had a flight booked for me. Right away the nerves start kicking in. As a goalie, you have to control your emotions, especially going into a barn like that. You have to take it all in, try to turn your nerves into excitement and stick to your game no matter what."

Bosch employed a similar gameplan the next night at the Brandt Centre, making his home-ice debut against the arch-rival Moose Jaw Warriors. Although Bosch lost 3-0, he kept Regina in the game by stopping 24 of 26 shots before the home team surrendered an empty-net goal.

"That's quite an introduction to the league," said GM Brent Parker. "I'm sure he was twisting and turning and doing flips inside, but outwardly he showed great poise and confidence and great maturity. He played well enough to win both hockey games."

The fact that he didn't win is no reflection on Bosch, who posted a 2.57 goals-against average and a .923 save percentage. The experience also whetted the appetite of the youngster, whose only previous taste of WHL action came during the preseason.

"It was one thing playing an exhibition game," he began, "but playing a regular-season game at home against Moose Jaw, there's no better feeling than that. The excitement is endless."

The Pats have been anxiously awaiting Bosch's debut since head scout Todd Ripplinger picked him in the third round of the 2005 WHL bantam draft. Bosch joined the midget AAA Blazers last season, serving as a backup to current Saskatoon Blades starter Braden Holtby.

Bosch returned to the midget ranks this fall after a solid showing in Pats' training camp, proving himself a legitimate challenger to veterans David Reekie and Rowat.

"He's obviously a top-end prospect," said Parker. "He was probably ready to make our team coming out of training camp but our thought on it was to make sure he was going to play enough to continue to develop."

Rather than pout, Bosch made the most of the demotion. He is now regarded as one of the top starters in the Saskatchewan midget AAA league (15-8-6 record, 2.89 GAA, .919 SP, one shutout).

"The initial feeling was disappointment but I turned it into a positive," said Bosch. "They said one more year back at triple A could be good for me -- get lots of games in, get some experience. Hopefully next year things will work out for me (in Regina)."

NOTE: Bosch is joined on Team Saskatchewan by fellow Pats prospect Curtis Kulchar, a defenceman with the midget AAA Prince Albert Mintos. Also headed to the Canada Games, which begin Saturday in Whitehorse, are Pats leading goal-scorer Jordan Eberle (Team Alberta) and D Colten Teubert (B.C.). They left Tuesday and are expected to miss as many as six WHL games.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

JDubb
02-21-2007, 09:51 AM
I thought that Bosch looked very comfortable and very composed. I knew that he impressed in camp, so this is very encouraging for the Pats goaltending in the upcoming years. Rowat will only get better and having stiff competition in Bosch will be a nice 1-2 combination.

With injuries nowadays you never know how serious they are or aren't, but now that Bosch is gone, hopefully Rowat is healthy enough to play both games this weekend.

I have had season tickets for 5 years now and haven't seen a second round yet. Here is hoping for a good playoff run!

Jeremy