PDA

View Full Version : Price stones the Broncos

Scout
02-22-2007, 06:55 AM
Last updated at 11:16 PM on 21/02/07

Price backstops Americans to victory

BOOSTER STAFF
The Southwest Booster

Carey Price put on a goaltending clinic on Tuesday night in Swift Current, stopping 40 of 41 shots in leading the Tri-City Americans to a 4-1 win over the host Broncos.
Swift Current fired a season high 41 shots at an oppositing goaltender, but Price, who backstopped Team Canada to a World Junior Hockey Championship earlier this year, showed the form which makes him one of the nation's elite goaltenders.
The only time Price faltered was with 4:52 left in regulation when recently acquired defenceman Eric Doyle slid a shot along the ice for his seventh goal of the season.
Price now boasts a 24-12-1-0 netminding record.
While Price was enjoying a peak netminding performance, the Americans played a punishingly physical game which was showcased by a series of crunching body checks from Tri-City overage forward Aaron Boogaard.
Tri-City relied on speed and their strong checking game to help jump into an early lead and open period leads of 1-0 and 2-0. Taylor Procyshen opened the scoring 3:35 into the game with his 25th goal of the year. Swift Current answered back by outshooting the Americans by a 15-13 margin in the opening period.
In the middle frame Shaun Vey extended the Tri-City lead to 2-0 when he notched his 19th goal of the campaign. Swift Current held a 30-25 shot advantage after the opening 40 minutes.
In the final frame Brock Cornish extended the Americans lead to 3-0 when he struck for his third of the season.
After Doyle pulled the Broncos to within a pair of goals, Boogaard put the game out of reach with an empty net goal in the dying seconds.
Broncos overage netminder Kyle Moir dropped to 15-24-0-1 on the year after stopping 31 of 34 shots.
The win tightens Tri-City’s grip on second place in the U.S. Division as their record improves to 38-19-1-1 and the Americans have earned points in their last seven games.
Swift Current remains in third place in the East Division standings despite dropping to 26-33-1-2.

Big Ern
02-22-2007, 10:08 AM
It's truly amazing, what Price did. I am still looking skyward, especially on the one save he made on Kyle Bortis. UNBELIEVABLE! It's no wonder he won gold.
The guys did more than enough to win a hockey game. A season-high shot total....41, and a lot of other little things were done right. Solid effort. Too bad Price was at the other end. One more thing. Kudos to Myles Rumsey for fighting Aaron Boogard, no matter the result. Rums proved his point. Boogard is HUMONGOUS!!!
A (fairly???) decent crowd, and an awesome game to watch. It was worth the full price of admission. Better luck in Brandon tomorrow.
EVERYONE... Wish me luck with my road test tomorrow morning!!
LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

Flathead
02-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Price is the best goalie I've seen in years, maybe ever. He is never out of position, always square to the shooter, has complte control of his rebounds, passes the puck better than a lot of defensemen, knows where the puck will be before it's shot or passed, reads the plays before they happen. He was so calm and cool in net and made every save seem effortless, at times he looked bored. This guys ready for the next level, the AHL or if Montreal keeps having goaltender problems, maybe even the NHL.
Our guys put in an awesome effort last night, any other goalie and we might of had the two points. The only area we were outplayed in would be the hits, Tri Cities loves to hit and they hammered us around a bit.
Good luck BigErn, hopefully you get it, you have to be sick of your rides with Marv by now. lol, just kidding Marv is awesome!

Flathead
02-22-2007, 01:50 PM
he also hung out and signed autographs for some time, which I thought was very classy. applause

HAF
02-22-2007, 02:01 PM
he also hung out and signed autographs for some time, which I thought was very classy. applause

Ernie or Price? Just kidding...

Flathead
02-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Ernie or Price? Just kidding...
lol, I'm sure Ern would too, as he is a class act bronco fan.

Big Ern
02-22-2007, 07:41 PM
lol, I'm sure Ern would too, as he is a class act bronco fan.

Thanks there, FLATHEAD. Yes I would, anytime. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
I think this particular thread is famous for having the most short posts of them all. LOL
LET'S GO SWIFTY!!

Scout
02-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Keen's Korner

Thursday, February 22, 2007
Careful For What You Wish For

As far as I'm concerned, Carey Price could have worked the gate in the Americans bench last night and that would have been just fine by me.

Instead, he starred in a 4-1 Americans victory making 40 saves - some of the spectacular variety.

The game began with a heavyweight tilt between Myles Rumsey and Aaron Boogard. Myles can't really event be considered a heavyweight based on sheer size. But yet, he's a willing combatant so game on. Boogard is flat-out a monster. While not as tall as older brother Derek, his mass of 245 pounds more than makes up for it. I saw him before the game and thought "he's a man amongst boys". Credit Myles for answering the challenge. Myles did his best to get in close rather than trade with the Ams' tough guy. Rumsey was definetely outmatched in the strength department but held his own.

The Americans scored early - only 3:25 in to take a 1-0 lead. The Ams built on their lead in the 2nd period on a goal in front from Shawn Vey. Then a 3rd period screen shot from the blueline courtesy Brock Cornish made it 3-0. The way Carey Price was playing, you knew that would be more than enough for the Ams to hold on.

Bronco defenseman Eric Doyle's goal with five minutes to play gave the Broncos temporary life before Aaron Boogard's empty-netter closed off the scoring.

I agree it's nice to see Carey Price play even though he was the biggest factor in the outcome. It's the first time he's ever played on Civic Center ice as he was injured last time the Americans rolled on through. Don't get me wrong, I would much prefer a Broncos win but it wasn't a bad parting gift. It's the first time Tri-City has beaten the Broncos since November of 2002.

The Broncos hit the road later this afternoon, hopefully beating a blizzard that is supposed to settle in through southern Saskatchewan later today. The team will battle the Wheat Kings tomorrow night. With 11 games left in the regular season, 3rd through 6th in the east division continues to get tighter. Here are the standings:

Pats 61

Broncos 55

Raiders 54

Warriors 49

Blades 48

In other tidbits . . .

How 'bout Anthony Heuer? The Swift Current product was named the SJHL's MVP this week. He played a major factor in the Melville Millionaires making the playoffs. He recorded 24 wins with a GAA of 2.87 and a save percentage of .919. After November 18th, Heuer didn't allow more than four goals in a game. He's the first Millionaire to win MVP honors since Brian Propp did it as a 16 year old in 1976.

Good for Tony who never played "AAA" midget in Swift Current, rather "AA" for the Hurricanes. He was a late bloomer of sorts. When Heuer was in goal for the "AA" Hurricanes, the "AAA" Legionnaires had the goaltending tandem of Russ Monette (last year's SJHL Player of the Year) and Andrew Leslie (Broncos, Rebels, Blades, Warriors). Leslie is having a great season in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League as a 20 year old.

The Broncos are hoping Cody Eakin will be available for action tomorrow night in Brandon. The Broncos 1st overall bantam pick from this past summer has already played two games with the team.

I'll post again later from Brandon once we arrive,

Jon

Big Ern
02-23-2007, 02:30 PM
YAAYYYY! Just want to say, no more taxi rides for Big Ern! WOOOO HOOOO! LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

Scout
02-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Good for you Big Ern. I heard you on the radio today and you sounded pretty pumped about getting your license. Good for you. Won't you miss that $60.00 cab fare for Bronco games.lol. Now you have to get a car or do you have one?

Scout

Big Ern
02-23-2007, 11:53 PM
Good for you Big Ern. I heard you on the radio today and you sounded pretty pumped about getting your license. Good for you. Won't you miss that $60.00 cab fare for Bronco games.lol. Now you have to get a car or do you have one?

Scout

Of course I have one! A 2000 Grand Am, without a scratch. Only 100 000 K. on it. I drove it in tonight, and caught the Brandon game with Rob Myers, on high definition. "Rockin Rob" is completely awesome! Anyway, yes....I CAN DRIVE NOW!!!!
The guys did not deserve to lose tonight. They were in it all game.
And oh, another thing: I would most definitely sign Chynoweth to another three-year contract. He is awesome.
Goodnight everyone! LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

Big Ern