PDA

View Full Version : Broncos vs. Tigers Game two of home and home, Feb. 26 recap

Willis on the Welfare
02-27-2005, 05:34 PM
Two recaps in the same weekend. WILLIS LIVES TO RECAP!!!

NON HOCKEY RANT: The following has ZERO to do with hockey. It is something that has bothered me that I want to vent through my keyboard to someone. Scroll down if you don't want to be bothered with this.

Has anyone seen that commercial for chewing gum set in a taxi cab? The setting is a young couple in the back of a cab chewing gun while the cab driver (of arab decent) drives them. To illustrate how "cold" the gum is the male of the relationship pops several pieces of the gum in his mouth and turns blue and "frozen". His girlfriend screams in horror and the arab cab driver, starts swerving the cab and decapitates the frozen head. Given the state of current events, did we need a commercial where someone from the western world is decapitated by an arab? If you've laughed at that ad, your going to hell

NON HOCKEY RANT OVER

Back to our regular scheduled programming.

The Civic Center is looking PACKED tonite. Thanks to our friends from the Hat who made the trip. Considering how much people from Swift have pumped into the Medicine Hat economy over the last few decades I hope you folks from the HAT SPENT YOURSELVES BROKE IN SWIFT!!!

The stage is set, the music is rocking and out comes CHARLIE HORSE!!! Charlie is on SKATES and does a few laps around the ice. Charlie is good on the skates. Have Dean and Elden found something for Marek Knebl to do?

LED BY KYLE MOIR HERE COMES THE SWIFT CURRENT BRONCOS!!!

LED BY MATT KEETLEY HERE COMES THE TIGERS!!! Why are the Tiger fans so much damn louder than us. That's just embarassing. We had the freighter horns and the siren going for us, and few people on the Champions of the Broncos. THAT'S IT!!! I will buy a case of beer to the person who presents me with that "use noise makers responsibly sign at the north entrance". It will be our secret.

Scratches: Broncos; Marc Defoe (midst of puberty, I'm serious this kid gets bigger everytime I see him), RJ Larochelle (concussed), Marek Knebl (new team mascot), Zack Smith (who?)
Tigers: Trevor Glass (day to day concussion), Jordan Bendfeld (healthy)

DROP THE PUCK: SC; Moir, Fransoo, Hengen, Leovold, Sauer, Leckovic. The Hat: MATT KEETLEY, Russell, Barker, Exner, Block, Trembley. Good for Nastiuk, he went from being a potential goalie for team Canada to backing up the fat kid. Actually, I've heard Keetley dropped 40 lbs in the off season, that was rude of me.

The PA announcer was JACKED ON THE PLAYER INTROS.

Sauer wins the faceoff and the Broncos are a HOUSE OF FIRE. Swift is off to a great start! We're getting chances and taking it to the Tigers.

The first stoppage in play, who will start the chant?

"Good Evening it's Country Music Radio's Darwin Gooding, and it's time make some noise, go broncos go!!!

Needed more energy. We gave it a try. If we do that every game it will catch on.

Broncos are playing good until Tommy Maxwell dumps the puck into the Bronco zone, Darren Helm and David Schulz give chase until David Schulz just stops and allows Helm to center the puck to Brett Robertson, theeeyyy score. Smackitsakic and I have had differing opinions on Schulz, but I think he is starting to win the argument.

1-0 Tigers, Robertson from Helm and Maxwell Momentum killer.

Hard work vs. Skill the rest of the period, Broncos can't get a shot, Moir makes a few saves. Kieran Block hits Boris Leckovic and BORIS SNAPS. He is pummeling the back of Block's head. Block does the turtle. The linesman pull Leckovic off block. Stefan Meyer wants some of Leckovic. Leckovic taunts the bench. Derek Herman the referee gives Boris a double minor for roughing, a ten and a gross misconduct. I think we missed something.

The PA announcer tries to fire up the crowd. Normally I'd say the PA announcer should remain somewhat less biased, but we need all the help we can get. What about cordless mic man? Did he give up after one try?

Four minute powerplay for the Tigers. Broncos are killing this off with ease. Tiger powerplay is off again. Cam Barker is more interested in shopping for a Cadillac Escalade than working this PP ;) . just seconds left in the Tiger powerplay when Donny Lloyd tries to clear the puck, and it goes off ASPENLIND'S HEAD on to Lukin's sitck who sets up Kris Russell and theeeeeeeeyyyyyyy score. c**k s**king son of a *****, mother ****ing **** c**k a$$ ****!!!! WHAT DO WE HAVE TO DO TO CATCH A BREAK!?!?!?! THESE GUYS WORK SO HARD BUT GOD HATES THE BRONCOS!!! WHY GOD, WE HAVE MORE BIBLE THUMPERS IN THIS CITY PER CAPITA THAN ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD!!!! WE HAVE A CHURCH ON EVERY CORNER IN SWIFT CURRENT!!! WHAT MUST WE DO NOW GOD, WHAT!?!?!?!

Tigers 2 Swift Current 0, Russell from Lukin. I'm not going to church until God gives the Broncos a break. TAKE THAT GOD!!!

That's all for the 1st period. Broncos peppered Keetley with 3 shots while Moir had 10. Not his fault on either goal. Steve Marr Superstar takes a roughing penalty at the end of the period.

INTERMISSION:

Timbits hockey. People watch young kids play a mini games while I enjoy the quality hockey moms at rinkside. Everything's coming up Willis!!!

2nd Period;

This one is easy to recap. Hard work vs. Skill. Kyle Moir with a few good saves. I still like Darren Helm, he is a big bright spot for the Hat. The teams trade powerplay chances. Rumsey is in the box for high sticking, the Tigers crash the goal and theeeeeeyyyyy score. Stefan Meyer from Schlemko and Blanshan. Schlemko and Russell should be the 1st unit on the PP for the Hat. Cam Barker will be dealt next year if he isn't pro, and it won't be for much. WHAT DID HE DO THIS WEEKEND? ANYTHING? The only thing more swollen than his spleen is his head.

3-0 Tigers, Meyer from Schlemko and Blanshan on the PP

Broncos had their chances but any ability to put the puck in the net is now playing for Lethbridge and Everett. The Leavitt deal was STILL A GOOD MOVE.

Broncos had 8 shots that period, Tigers had 10. WHERE'S THE BEER? YOU TOLD ME THERE WOULD BE BEER SCOUT!!! I THOUGHT WE WERE DOING AWAY WITH THE LIES AND THE FALSE POSTS THAT KILLED THE WHITE BOARD WITH THIS NEW SITE!!!

This site is still ten times better than the white board ever was. That board is seriously a piece of ****. What reason does anyone have for using the whiteboard? To read Claude Rusk? puh-lease.

INTERMISSION:

It's bowling for crap...

on to the

3rd Period

Teams exchange penalties. Justin Cruse is in the box. Blanshan is on the point and mishandles the puck and JEREMY SCHENDERLING HAS A BREAKAWAY, he makes a move and SCOOOOOOOOORRRRRESSSSSSS!!!! Schenderling short handed!!! GOD IS A BRONCO FAN AGAIN!!!!

Shenanigans in the Bronco zone, Schenderling sends Helm head first into the boards and Derek Dorsett snaps!!! he goes for Schenderling but the linesman are there. They each get two minute minors and ten minute misconducts.

Four on four hockey follows. Stefan Meyer heads up the wing centers it for McArthur, theeeeeeyyyyyyy score. GOD FORBID WE GO A GAME WITHOUT MCARTHUR SCORING. CHURCH IS OFF AGAIN GOD!!!

4-1 Tigers, McArthur from Meyer.

Right off the ensuing faceoff FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT.

Rumsey and Blanshan. Rumsey is giving up 2 years and about 30 bls of muscle mass. Rumsey works a few quick rights, Blanshan is going for the KO, not sure if they're connecting. Rumsey and Blanshan both hang on, look each other in the eye, pat each other on the back and skate away. THAT'S HOCKEY!!!

4-1 Tigers is your final

3 Stars:

1)Darren Helm (1 assist)

2)Brady Leovold (good effort)

3) Jarret Lukin (1 assist)

Good weekend of hockey. The final two games should be good between these teams.

Willi$

Scout
02-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Hey i was called on that as a sponsor and told beer would be sold in the rink March 2nd. Maybe they changed their minds. I doubt it. You are dealing with Sask Gov't and i think they have to approve it and give a permit. God forbid if they hustled a bit.

Scout

Willis on the Welfare
02-27-2005, 08:07 PM
I didn't mean anything serious with the beer talk Scout. Just funning with ya. Great energy in the building and a good crowd. Things are looking good.

3wheeler
02-27-2005, 10:03 PM
Your game recaps are entertaining. Please don't quit.
Too bad Darwin Gooding from the radio station wasn't 10% as good. He might have 1/2 a chance at doing a decent job in the stands.
If anyone reading this has a chance to grab his clip board get it. Maybe if he wings it, he might be better.
YAH WHERES THE BEER. As for the bible thumpers who do not want beer in the stands why should the rest of us be punished and not allowed to have a frosty one while watching our favorite team.

Ms. Hockey
02-27-2005, 10:18 PM
I agree...I enjoy your recaps Willis, keep it up!

As for the beer, I hear it's coming Wednesday night. I believe they wanted to contact all their sponsors as Scout mentioned plus they have surveys going around to get an idea of how many fans want it or not. I think the organization has nothing to lose at this point. I've heard a lot of talk around town about some season ticket holders not wanting booze in the stands. The thing everyone needs to remember is either way if someone wants to get drunk they can, whether they pound them back in the Canadian room at intermission or drink one during the period. It would be nice to sit and watch your favorite sport live while having a drink though! All the old farts in Swift Current need to lighten up!

As for the game Saturday night...
Was exciting at points. Nice to see a sell out crowd even if it's only because of the supportive Medicine Hat fans. The building was louder than normal too! Sometimes I think the Med Hat fans just piss off some of the Swift fans and make them make noise. Too bad it isn't like that all the time. Great job by Kim Johnston trying to liven up the crowd. At the first intermission I commented that I was disapointed that Darwin didn't say 'Go Broncos Go' a few times to get the crowd in sync (cause at that first whistle it sounded like a bunch of muffled yelling to me!)...and later in the game Kim Johnston took over and started the chant, saying it about 3 times to get the fans in sync. TERRIFIC goal by Schenderling! Really fired up the crowd!

We have the potential to be a great team next year. There are several players I'm extremely happy with and excited to see next year: MOIR, Rumsey, Defoe (once he grows into his body he's going to be strong!), Leovold, Brisebois, HUNTER...I love watching Leckovic, a real entertainer!!! But there are some players I wish we could toss out the window: Wasmuth, Lloyd (two softest guys in the league!), Schulz. Hengen and Fransoo aren't big enough or good enough either.

SORRY ABOUT THE RAMBLINGS...I haven't posted in awhile and just needed to spit it all out at once!

bronconeer
02-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Given a chance - will be a good PP point man. Good outlet passes. Should have used him more on the PP. Coaches not confident he can do the job. Keep playing Schulz and Fransoo - without any success.

Ms. Hockey
02-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Given a chance - will be a good PP point man. Good outlet passes. Should have used him more on the PP. Coaches not confident he can do the job. Keep playing Schulz and Fransoo - without any success.

Hengen may be good on the power play because of his offensive ability but I don't believe his has any hockey sense and this hurts us because it leads to dumb mistakes. No hockey smarts=goals against, not for

Flathead
02-28-2005, 08:38 PM
We have the potential to be a great team next year. There are several players I'm extremely happy with and excited to see next year: MOIR, Rumsey, Defoe (once he grows into his body he's going to be strong!), Leovold, Brisebois, HUNTER...I love watching Leckovic, a real entertainer!!! But there are some players I wish we could toss out the window: Wasmuth, Lloyd (two softest guys in the league!), Schulz. Hengen and Fransoo aren't big enough or good enough either.

S!

I agree with a lot you have to say but, I think Wasmuth really turned it around the last half of the season, and he may not of put up alot of points, but he played hard and showed lots of potential. Look for good things from Wasmuth next year, as he knows now he can play in this league. Donny Lloyd is a good d man, I'm a lot more nervous when others are out there than Donny. I can't believe you think that Fransoo is not good enough, he's improved 200% from the begining of the year and is a solid d-man. He gets my vote for most improved player of the year.

Ms. Hockey
02-28-2005, 08:56 PM
I agree with a lot you have to say but, I think Wasmuth really turned it around the last half of the season, and he may not of put up alot of points, but he played hard and showed lots of potential. Look for good things from Wasmuth next year, as he knows now he can play in this league. Donny Lloyd is a good d man, I'm a lot more nervous when others are out there than Donny. I can't believe you think that Fransoo is not good enough, he's improved 200% from the begining of the year and is a solid d-man. He gets my vote for most improved player of the year.

I would bet you a drink in the Canadian Room that Wasmuth isn't in Swift Current next year. Not only because he's too soft to play WHL but because he does not want to be in Swift Current. Having huge off ice troubles with this kid.
Lloyd is ok...I just think he's also too soft. Gets pushed around so easily. I would rather have Defoe out there gaining confidence and improving than have Lloyd out there.
As for Fransoo, it's true he has improved. I was actually impressed with his play this Saturday...but that's the first time I've been impressed with him this year. Yes, he has improved, but I still don't think he's good enough. I know that the Broncos don't have much to work with this year, but I'm hoping to see some big changes on D next year...The only defencemen currently on our roster that I'd like to see back next year are: Defoe (think this kid has a lot of potential), Rumsey, Schulz (only if he plays 100x better than he is currently) and Larochelle if he's not done (with all his concussions)

Just had to elaborate on what I said earlier to make a stronger case for what I have to say! Do you still disagree with this Flathead? I'm interested to see what others think of these players too.

murdawg
02-28-2005, 10:03 PM
..you guys have to take into account when u look at these players and the team, is how valuable the little things that they do are....whether its getting energy but laying the body, scoring goals, piping up on the bench or in the room or being able to add some composure to the ice in times of panic each player brings somehting to the table that assests the whole and i dont think its entirely seen by the fans all the time... just a thought... these guys deserve some slack

Ms. Hockey
03-01-2005, 08:16 AM
That next year our team needs to change. I realize that this year is a building year and that next year we will be better. But I think that if we kept the same roster and lost our two twenty year olds we still wouldn't be good enough. We need to make some trades to get rid of the players who probably wouldn't make any other team in the league...or the players that aren't producing for us. Sometimes a trade really changes things up. I think the Broncos will have quite a different roster next year. Considering that we only lose two players to age I would think that we will have 4 new forwards and 3 new defencemen next year...who knows, maybe even a new goalie (16 year old maybe to take over when Moir is too old?)
Point is I don't think that some of our players are good enough to be in the WHL.

LOYALTY
03-01-2005, 11:24 AM
100% with you. I too think that there will have to be some tweeking for next season, all of the players have had a chance to prove what they can contribute to the team and some have had a few years to do this, if they haven't changed their style of hockey to suite the team by now they never will. There are a few players that I would like to see either get more physical or be elimininated from the team, you can't have hugger on the d-line for one, we need some solid -not afraid to go to the corner -guys and people that aren't afraid to follow through on a check, my son is less than half these guys age and has a more physical presense on the ice than some of these broncos...sorry that is just the way I feel. :spineyes:

Flathead
03-01-2005, 01:02 PM
I think we will start the season basically the same as we ended it. Some minor tweeking may go on to try and get some desperately needed offense.
I think Peeters will be gone, to make room for Yonkman. Schulz will be traded to open a spot for Alexander or Postma, also if RJ is unable to return one of those two may take his place. Szczachor was given the choice this year to see limited ice or play in the SJHL, so I don't think he'll be around and Murray will not be with the team. I never heard that Wasmuth doesn't want to be here but if that's true he may not be a Bronco next year. That would free up three forward positions, one most likely will be taken with Bortis. The other two possibly Levi Nelson and Zack Smith. Also not to sure what they will do with Knebl??? I think we will start the season with something like that and see how we do. Desloges and Leovold will pick it up next year and put up some good numbers along with Hunter. Will also be good to see what Bortis can do in his rookie season.

CHtoo
03-01-2005, 03:23 PM
There is also the ability to pick up another 20 year old. Should be some good ones available.

Ms. Hockey
03-01-2005, 03:49 PM
I think we will start the season basically the same as we ended it. Some minor tweeking may go on to try and get some desperately needed offense.
I think Peeters will be gone, to make room for Yonkman. Schulz will be traded to open a spot for Alexander or Postma, also if RJ is unable to return one of those two may take his place. Szczachor was given the choice this year to see limited ice or play in the SJHL, so I don't think he'll be around and Murray will not be with the team. I never heard that Wasmuth doesn't want to be here but if that's true he may not be a Bronco next year. That would free up three forward positions, one most likely will be taken with Bortis. The other two possibly Levi Nelson and Zack Smith. Also not to sure what they will do with Knebl??? I think we will start the season with something like that and see how we do. Desloges and Leovold will pick it up next year and put up some good numbers along with Hunter. Will also be good to see what Bortis can do in his rookie season.

I agree that Peeters will be gone, Schulz will be traded (if anyone will take him), Szczachor will be gone too...Wasmuth has vocalized that he doesn't like it in Swift Current and doesn't like any of the other players...why don't you believe Murray will be in Swift Current? I'm not sure if he will or not...he has yet to impress me but has not shown me any reason why he should be cut. I definately think Nelson will be in Swift Current next year. I don't think Smith will be, he's not good enough or strong enough.
Desloges, Leovold, Brisebois, and Hunter will be great for us next year.

Willis on the Welfare
03-01-2005, 03:51 PM
It's too bad that you say that Murray will not be on the team next year. I don't think this guy hasn't had the chance to prove himself. We dealt Redenbach for him, we should try and get more out of him. He has shown signs of promise. Maybe I feel sorry for the kid for all he's been through (read The Passion of the David Murray http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=619) but why not give him a chance before we write off the guy we traded our star player for? Cruse is almost done, Larochelle could have a career ender at any moment, all we may have left from the deal is Murray.

Flathead
03-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Just haven't really seen alot from him. When he first came to the team he was looking pretty good, but then the whole Glass deal came about and he's seen limited ice on a fourth line. Mabye, the whole Glass incident really got to him and hopefully with a fresh start next season, he'll get it going. I do hope so because yes he was part of the Redenbach deal and it would be nice to see him do something. Mabye I just gave up on him to early. Sorry guys, Murray's back on the team. lol! :karate:

Ms. Hockey
03-01-2005, 07:18 PM
It's hard to say when you don't see a player get much ice time. I guess the other thing to ask is: Is there a reason the coaches aren't playing him? Maybe it's an off ice problem or a lack of effort...maybe it's they don't think he's that great...
Or maybe the coaches are not that smart! (joking, kind of)