PDA

View Full Version : How badly do we WANt the playoffs, if we want them...

Tidball
02-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Did i just hear Tidball says what i think he said. Well yes you did. I see that now there are only 4 teams with a higher draft pic then us. Portland, Oil Kings, Kelowna, and Chiliwack. This years bantam draft has SOOOO much talent its un believable. If we are biulding for the future then we got to take advantage of this type of thing. Should we remain with the 5th pick, we can get 2 VERY good forwards and a steady D-man in the 4th round(i believe we gave our third to Regina)

Im not saying that the Blades should throw away the rest of thier games, but all is not lost if we dont make the playoffs. Infact we gain alot if we dont make the playoffs. Right now it looks like we have a good chance of picking up Brad Ross. That would be huge.

howley
02-22-2007, 02:57 PM
I don't think it enters anyone's mind that "hey...if we really suck then we can get the 2nd over all pick. AWESOME!" Besides, i think it would be to hard to convince Ryan Menei and Brad Cole to stop scoring. I understand what your saying though. Look at the Pens last year. They were in the basement basically before pre-season started and sat there all season long till about the last 15 games and they turned it on and barely crawled out. In doing so lost the 1st overall pick. Eric Johnson (D) - I'd argue that the Pens will need Johnson a heck of a lot more than they will need Jordan Staal in 3 years. Not that Jordan Staal is a slouch by any means. But the pens need defense way more than offense. So.......and I totally forgot my point...but I am going to post this anyways cause I already typed it out...
The day a team plays to get the first pick overall is the day I stop watching sports forever. That wasn't my point...but it works. uuummm go blades go...
*runs out the door*

GBG BLEED BLUE
02-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Well obviously they would want to make the playoffs(it is just a matter of how badly they want too and if they can win enough games to get that last playoff spot) I think they can do it (me being an optimist and a true fan)

Then there is the advantage of not making the playoffs(like both Tidball and Howley pointed out.)

But their goal is to MAKE THE PLAYOFFS,there is no two ways about it,and I do not think they are giving up,that would be a sad story if it was true but I do not think a team under Molleken's guidance would just throw the their hands in the air along with the towel and quit.

With that being said it will be an interesting end to the season,and we will see if they really want to make the playoffs.

Shortys
02-22-2007, 05:48 PM
I think that Molleken hasn't even thought about draft pick positions as of yet, well actually he probably has all scenerios worked out, but it is probably in the back of his mind. He probably will work on that as soon as we are positively out before we have to think about next year. I think he is focusing on making the best of the rest of this year, and hopefully the players do as well. There still is a chance. ;) Go blades!

wango tango
02-22-2007, 05:49 PM
it'll also give the blades higher picks in the european draft too. cause i don't see either konecny or visnak back next year. but i'm with howley i'd rather be in the playoffs then thinking about having a high pick. lots of hidden gems taken in late rounds in the bantam draft every year.

Tidball
02-22-2007, 08:01 PM
it'll also give the blades higher picks in the european draft too. cause i don't see either konecny or visnak back next year. but i'm with howley i'd rather be in the playoffs then thinking about having a high pick. lots of hidden gems taken in late rounds in the bantam draft every year.

Cant argue that. Wasnt Hulak a 6th rounder?

howley
02-22-2007, 08:10 PM
hulak was 6th I beleive. Funk was 4th. Holtby was 9th. I like that one.

Tidball
02-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Thats crazy. Its just hard to tell which goalies will be good at that age.

Interesting note: Stephan Elliots team has the lowest Goals against in the league. I seriously cant wait for this kid. Berg is awesome but needs to work on his speed. Him and Elliot will make a prefect D-pair.