PDA

View Full Version : Garrett in MJ this weekend

old_time_hockey
02-22-2007, 05:27 PM
From the WHL Site:

Warriors Welcome Back Garrett Robinson
Created: Feb 22, 2007
Moose Jaw, SK: The Moose Jaw Warriors are thrilled to announce that Moose Jaw Warriors forward Garrett Robinson and Family will be in attendance for the Friday February 23rd game at the Moose Jaw Civic Centre vs. the Calgary Hitmen.

Robinson was severally injured in an automobile accident back in October of 2006 along with Warrior netminder Joey Perricone and former Warrior Carter Smith after returning from an Alberta road swing. The 18 year old forward has been recuperating back home with his family ever since being released from Regina’s General Hospital. This Friday will be Garrett’s first time back in the Friendly City since the accident and is sure to be an emotional return for him, his family, the Warriors organization, and its fans.

Garrett and his family will be in attendance for both games this weekend with a special ceremonial puck drop occurring prior to Friday’s game to honor Garrett and his family. All fans are encouraged to show their Warrior pride by wearing red to the Friday night game in honor of Garrett’s determination to battle through a severe brain injury.

grainbear
02-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Wish I lived closer , because I would certainly be there in red. All the best to him and his family , we still think about all of them , and are convinced that with the support of his teammates , his family and friends some day he will be the young man we all remember and appreciated on the ice an off.

old_time_hockey
02-22-2007, 08:38 PM
When the Warriors were in Vancouver he was at the game. Up in a private box (Ron Toigo's I believe because it was the same one Brule was in during the NHL All-Star break). But they announced he was in the house and he came out to wave. Good to see him on his feet watching a game. He's a strong young man both physically and mentally to come through what he did so fast.

WHL community is the greatest. When the call went out for donations everyone that I saw donate at the Giants game dug deep and I saw some actual bills go in the jar. And then all the silent auction and raffel $ went to his fund as well.

nivek_wahs
02-23-2007, 08:50 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=db70558b-4742-45d0-8aa5-e8b7e031946c

Robinson returns to M.J.

Corey Atkinson, Saskatchewan News Network
Published: Friday, February 23, 2007

MOOSE JAW -- Of all the come-from-behind victories that Moose Jaw Warriors fans at the Civic Centre have seen over the past 22 years, this one ranks as a Beauty.

Garrett Robinson, the Warriors forward who was critically injured in an auto accident in late October, will come back to the Civic Centre tonight for the first time since the collision.

Robinson, whose collision inspired goaltender Joey Perricone to write the word "Beauty'' on his stick blade in the aftermath of the collision as a reminder of his teammate, will be involved in some pre-game festivities before the Warriors play the Calgary Hitmen. Faceoff is set for 7 p.m.

"Being down there and seeing his progression, and knowing he has made some substantial recovery here, it's always been our organization's No. 1 goal to bring him and his family back here,'' said Warriors general manager Chad Lang. "I know they want to be back here. But I think too, in fairness to the community and our fans, I know they've supported Garrett remarkably throughout this whole tragedy, and this gives them some positive feedback."

Robinson and Perricone were passengers in a car driven by then-Warrior Carter Smith (now of the SJHL's Yorkton Terriers) early one morning after arriving back in the city from an Alberta road trip. Smith's Chevrolet Cavalier, which was being driven west on Caribou, was blindsided by a Ford F-150 truck driving south on 4th Avenue Northwest. Robinson took the brunt of the impact on the passenger side.

The impact of the collision sent Smith's car a full block south to Hochelaga Street. Robinson suffered severe brain injuries and was sent into a coma. After a tense 48-hour period post-brain surgery, Robinson spent several days in Regina General Hospital's Intensive Care Unit. He was then transferred to a Surrey, B.C., hospital and then a rehabilitation hospital. He has since moved back home with parents Randy and Carol in Surrey.

Perricone and Smith escaped with only minor physical injuries. Smith was later traded to the Everett Silvertips before being sent to Yorkton.

In the aftermath, Curtis Jay Mullen has been charged with impaired driving causing bodily harm, dangerous driving causing bodily harm and driving with a blood alcohol level over 0.08. He has yet to speak to those charges, but will have another court appearance March 5.

The Warriors practiced Thursday morning and the news of Robinson's return hadn't filtered to all of them by the time Lang made public the announcement.

"The kids that we have had the opportunity to talk to are extremely excited," said Lang. "Their friend and their teammate is coming back and is going to be part of them this weekend. When Garrett was fortunate enough to be in attendance in Vancouver, it really lifted the spirits of our players, and our players were motivated to play for him."

Today is the first time the Robinson family has come back to Saskatchewan since the collision.

"I know through my conversations with them, they're excited to come back, and for Garrett to be able to show people his progress, and at the same time, thank everybody here for all their support,'' Lang said.

The short pregame ceremony will introduce Garrett, Randy and Carol and allow the fans to show their support.

"I think it'll be good for all parties involved, our organization, the Robinson family, our fans, everybody that takes in the game," Lang said.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007