PDA

View Full Version : Elder anxiously looking forward to home debut

nivek_wahs
02-23-2007, 08:53 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=de0e3742-3ee6-4351-b310-d90d3a56c9ae

Elder anxiously looking forward to home debut

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, February 23, 2007

Remember Josh Elder?

Big guy. Wears No. 10. Used to play for the Prince Albert Raiders. Known for his toughness and leadership.

If the name still doesn't ring a bell, it's probably because Elder has been waiting over two months to make his home-ice debut with the Regina Pats. The 18-year-old left winger suffered a severe wrist injury just three games into his Pats' career and has been patiently biding his time ever since.

Until now.

"I wish my home debut was a little earlier, but that's hockey for you," said Elder, who's expected to return for tonight's game against the visiting Kootenay Ice. "It has been a long wait, about two-and-a-half months. But you just have to deal with it. I'm ready to go and pumped for the game. Hopefully I can help the team win."

You might say Elder was Regina's biggest trade acquisition of the season. The 6-foot-5, 214-pounder has obvious attributes that the Pats coveted when they obtained him from Prince Albert on Dec. 6 for Ryan McDonald, another 18-year-old forward.

Elder joined Regina in the midst of an extended road trip. In his third outing, he was injured during a fight with Ryan Kerr of the Lethbridge Hurricanes.

"It took a while to heal," said Elder. "It was just something to be careful with. They say you don't want to mess with the wrist so I guess that's why it took so long to get back."

While he was out, Elder dedicated the time to "working on some of my weaknesses." The main area of emphasis was improving his foot speed.

"I got bag skated every day after practice so I'm in pretty good shape," he said. "The trainer, Greg (Mayer), helped me with my leg strength and core strength. I feel more power in the legs. I give thanks to Greg for all the work he has done with me."

Through it all, Elder was coping with the transition of a new city, new coaches and new teammates. The process, he admits, would have been easier if he had been a part of the team's daily routine.

"It was hard but the guys were great," said Elder, who has five goals, four assists and 45 penalty minutes in 28 games this season. "They made me feel like I was here since I started hockey so it was good. It was hard not playing but you can't do much about it. I made the best of it."

The Pats believe he can have an immediate impact on their lineup.

"I think he's going to give us energy right off the bat," said head coach Curtis Hunt. "He's excited to get in there and bang some bodies. He's going to be a little rusty in terms of game shape and he's going to miss some details, but he works hard. He pays attention, so he'll be fine.

The timing of Elder's return could be fortuitous. Some bad blood has developed between Regina and Kootenay this season, dating back to the last time the teams met at the Brandt Centre on Nov. 3.

"I think it should be fun," Elder said with a smile, "a good (time) to come back for my first game. It should be a good game -- rough, but that's hockey. You get some of those games. You have to deal with it."

Asked if he's willing to test the wrist with his gloves off, Elder insisted he'll have no hesitation.

"My wrist is good," said the Saskatoon product, who's looking to help Regina snap a three-game losing streak. "I won't go looking for it but if I have to drop 'em I won't be scared to.

"We're looking for two points. That's all we care about right now."

- - -

SCOUTING REPORT

Kootenay (41-15-3-3) at Regina (28-27-1-4)

Today, 7 p.m., Brandt Centre

Radio: 620 CKRM

Key injuries: Regina -- G Linden Rowat (back, day-to-day); Kootenay -- RW Arnaud Jacquemet (broken wrist, out), C Ben Maxwell (elbow surgery, out) and RW Luke Wiens (separated shoulder, out).

Overview: Regina has lost all three of its meetings with the powerhouse Ice this season, including a pair of 4-2 setbacks in Cranbook . . . Kootenay's lone visit to the Brandt Centre was a 5-4 OT win on Nov. 3. That game turned ugly after Pats D Nick Ross levelled Ice D John Negrin with a clean open-ice hit. The teams combined for 161 penalty minutes. Pats head coach Curtis Hunt was ejected and GM Brent Parker was fined $1,500 for a verbal post-game confrontation with referee Adam Byblow. Byblow was also disciplined by the league for his substandard performance . . . A bout of the flu has been making its way through the Pats' dressing room, claiming the likes of Garrett Festerling and Mike Reich in recent games. RW Michael MacAngus is one of the latest victims -- and there could be more . . . The timing of the Canada Winter Games has impacted both rosters. This is the Pats' first game without their two prized 16-year-olds: LW Jordan Eberle (Team Alberta) and D Colten Teubert (Team B.C.). Eberle is Regina's leading scorer with 24 goals . . . The Ice lost RW Kevin King to Team Alberta . . . Kootenay has called up C Liam Jeffries, 17, from the B.C. junior B ranks, and D Jesse Ismond, 15, from the midget AAA Tisdale Trojans.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

nivek_wahs
02-23-2007, 10:28 AM
here's an excerpt from Rod Pedersen's blog (rodpedersen.blogspot.com (http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com))...

...the last time these two teams got together in Regina where the Pats gave up a 3-1 third period lead and wound up losing 4-3 in overtime. They were stiffed by the officials, and referee Adam Byblow was disciplined by the league and we haven't seen him since. Why did this all breakout? Pats' defenceman Nick Ross knocked the lights out of Ice defenceman John Negrin, who was carried off the ice. Nicky was later attacked by Kootenay's Curtis Billsten, and several others after that. In OT, the Pats' Brett Leffler jumped Billsten and the Ice scored on the PP. Leffler was the one going particularly nutso this week....

Leffler: "Oh we've had this game circled on the calendar for quite some time. After what happened the last time here, we expect them to come out physical so, so will we."

Pedersen: "Do you feel like a marked man out there?"

Leffler: "Oh yeah. I'll definately have to keep my head on a swivel all game long. But I'm ready for it. And we've got Josh Elder back finally, and that'll help."

Pedersen: "What do you expect the 6'5", 220 lb Elder will bring to your lineup?"

Leffler: "He's a big physical kid who can really chuck' em and we're going to need that in this game."

Pedersen: "Sounds like you're expecting a doozy against Kootenay."

Leffler: "Oh yeah, I am Roddy."Could be in for a real dandy tonight!

Fight Guy
02-23-2007, 11:52 AM
LOL at Leffler! I hope that means something. Though if you think about it, it's not like they havent played since. They played in Cranbrook a month or so after the incident, and that was a tame game I do believe.

Bran
02-23-2007, 12:43 PM
LOL at Leffler! I hope that means something. Though if you think about it, it's not like they havent played since. They played in Cranbrook a month or so after the incident, and that was a tame game I do believe.
I think the fans might be the difference between the games here and in Cranbrook...I don't know what they were like out there, but no one here has forgotten that game. I think the fans will be very into it (hopefully!) and maybe a little hostile, and the teams will feed off of that. Tonight could get interesting!

Fight Guy
02-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Well, after reading the paper and Rods blog, I wouldn't be surprised if we see something happen for no good reason...lol. I can just picture someone jumping someone just because of the build up toward the game...lol. And it sounds like the Pats are all anxious as well. Hoping for a gooder.

patsfan33
02-24-2007, 12:35 AM
well not as rough and wild as the game was hyped up to be, yet still quite entertaining

Tartaglione was spectacular to say the least...which is great for him cause after his last bout between the pipes, the kid had a bit of respect to gain back...only wish he would have potted an empty netter :laugh:

kudos to the Kootenay tender as well, he made some key saves of his own, kept his team in there

didn't really notice Elder out there all that much, but its only been one game...

...but hands down, the most entertaining feature of the night: N.Ross vs Negrin fight....ever since 'the hit' I and many others have noticed that the physical aspect of Ross's game has significanlty declined...never actually thought the blueliner would drop the gloves, but he held his own out there and connected with a few :clap: ....needless to say Negrin was able to level Ross with a decent check along the boards near the end of the game....this little feud may not be over yet

all in all, 2 points well deserved...best of luck to the boys in a key divisional matchup tomorrow night

nivek_wahs
02-24-2007, 08:32 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=5307fd8e-30e0-43b7-ba22-0ea08e8c6d0b

Pats put victory on Ice

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Saturday, February 24, 2007

Retribution took a slightly different form for the Regina Pats on Friday.

Regina hit the Kootenay Ice where it really hurt thanks to a 2-1 victory before 5,081 WHL spectators at the Brandt Centre. In the process, Regina snapped a three-game losing streak while posting its first win in four tries this season against Kootenay, the fourth-ranked team in the CHL.

"The W is the most important thing," offered Pats goaltender Tommy Tartaglione, who flipped and flopped his way to 41 saves, coming within 41 seconds of what would have been an extraordinary shutout performance.

"Let's face it, he's from California," chuckled Pats head coach Curtis Hunt. "There's some Hollywood in his game. He went for it."

There was plenty of movie-like drama leading up to Friday's clash -- and the plot thickened in the early going.

Just 50 seconds had ticked off the clock when Pats defenceman Nick Ross and Ice blueliner John Negrin dropped their gloves for a marathon bout that amounted to a split decision. It was an obvious response to the devastating open-ice hit delivered by Ross on Nov. 3 at the Brandt Centre which sidelined Negrin with a concussion.

The hit launched a series of fireworks between the teams -- and some lingering bad feelings.

"It was pretty much 100 per cent (planned)," Ross said of the fight. "He kind of gave me a little nod. We talked about it at the (Top) Prospects Game so I expected to go right off the start.

"We came closer as a team tonight. Everyone kind of knew it would be a rougher game so we went out there and tried to stick up for each other."

Ross and Negrin had just finished cooling their heels in the box when the rough stuff continued between Regina's Brett Leffler and Ice D-man Michael Busto. Another Ice D-man, Lukas Bohunicky, was tossed for being the third-man into the tussle.

"I'm like any hockey fan, I was hoping to see home dust-ups," Tartaglione said with a laugh. "After seeing (Ottawa Senators goalie) Ray Emery (in a brawl) last night I thought about getting involved but we have a 15-year-old backup (Damien Ketlo) with us right now. I didn't feel like throwing him into the fire."

The Pats finally drew first blood -- on the scoreboard -- when Mike Reich fought off a check and buried Levi Lind's rebound with 2:32 left in the first period. Regina carried that 1-0 edge into the intermission despite a decisive territorial disadvantage.

The Ice had Regina on the run again in the second period but couldn't buy a break around Tartaglione, who started in place of the injured Linden Rowat. Tartaglione's good fortune was never more obvious than during a bizarre sequence of events late in the frame which saw Steve DaSilva tie it up, only to have the goal disallowed because he scored with a broken stick (it was missing the insert that holds the knob in place).

Adding insult to injury, DaSilva was penalized for using the banned blade. Then, after stepping out of the box, Kootenay's leading scorer was hooked up by Pats defenceman Kyle Deck on a breakaway, resulting in a penalty shot.

Da Silva was stopped by Tartaglione on the attempt, preserving the unlikely 1-0 score.

The Ice continued to have no luck around the unorthodox Tartaglione, who flopped around like a fish out of water but somehow kept the puck out.

The Pats rewarded him with a two-goal lead at 7:30 of the third period when Michael MacAngus buried Jared Jagow's rebound for the eventual game-winner.

Kootenay's Andrew Bailey broke the shutout bid on a wild goal-mouth scramble with 41 seconds left, but the visitors came no closer.

"(The Pats) worked hard and scored on their couple of chances," said Ice head coach Cory Clouston. "When we did have our chances their goalie played well. He was the difference in the game."

Taylor Dakers made 31 saves for the Ice (41-16-3-3).

EXTRAS: The Pats (29-27-1-4) are slated to hit the road tonight against the Brandon Wheat Kings, who've all but locked up first place in the East Division. They have a 15-point lead on second-place Regina ... Regina finished with a 5-15 record against Central Division opponents this season ... The Pats welcomed back LW Josh Elder after a 27-game absence due to a wrist injury.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

nivek_wahs
02-24-2007, 11:04 AM
So? was Elder everything you thought he would be?He looked like he hadn't played in about 2 months...

Fight Guy
02-24-2007, 08:41 PM
It was a good game back...while it lasted. Elder is now out again :( ...but with the flu, so he should probably be back for Tuesday...I would think.

Dwight Schrute
02-24-2007, 09:00 PM
we used to call it the "YEO" flu
isnt yeo also out with a broken wrist ?