PDA

View Full Version : Pats hurting between the pipes

nivek_wahs
02-23-2007, 08:55 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=41739b58-1d41-4e61-bc3d-28c08b958f0b

Pats hurting between the pipes

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, February 23, 2007

The Regina Pats have two goalies in the shop, but only one can start.

Backup Tommy Tartaglione is apparently recovered from a strained hip flexor and has been cleared to play tonight against the visiting Kootenay Ice. However, the Pats are still without No. 1 goalie Linden Rowat, who won't be available for the third straight game due to a sore back.

Tartaglione is also slated to get the start on Saturday night in Brandon against the Wheat Kings.

"Linden had a bit of a setback but I'm back to 100 per cent," said Tartaglione, who has a 6-5 record with a 2.91 goals-against average this season. "You can't find a better weekend to prove yourself than playing against Kootenay and Brandon back-to-back -- the second best team in the Central (Division) and the best team in the East."

Rowat is hampered by a back problem that he reaggravated in the first period of Friday's 5-3 loss to the Red Deer Rebels. He was replaced by Tartaglione, who "tweaked" his hip flexor but was able to finish the game.

Tartaglione returned to practice this week while Rowat was held out for precautionary reasons.

"He has a tricky injury so we'll be patient," said head coach Curtis Hunt. "When he's ready we'll know and we'll go forward from there."

Rowat is undergoing daily physiotherapy and working with trainer Greg Mayer to strengthen his back muscles.

"It's an injury where it won't have any long-term affects," Rowat explained. "You just have to let it heal fully, that way you won't have any further problems. It has to be between 95 and 100 per cent before they'll let me play. Right now it's almost there."

The injuries to Rowat and Tartaglione forced Regina to call up Jeff Bosch last weekend from the midget AAA Saskatoon Blazers. He started games against the Medicine Hat Tigers and Moose Jaw Warriors, but is no longer available after joining Team Saskatchewan for the Canada Winter Games in Whitehorse.

The entire scenario has tested Regina's goaltending depth to the limit. With Rowat still out, the Pats airlifted 15-year-old prospect Damien Ketlo from the Prince George-based Cariboo Cougars of the B.C. major midget league.

He'll serve as Tartaglione's emergency backup in both games this weekend.

"I was surprised to get the call but I'm excited," Ketlo said after his first workout with the Pats, who selected him in the 10th round of the 2006 WHL bantam draft. "(The practice) was good -- way harder shots, way higher calibre. I want to get used to it and hopefully be able to come back."

Ironically, Ketlo is coming off an injury of his own -- a groin problem that caused him to miss some time in Prince George. It just adds to a tenuous situation that could spell disaster if Tartaglione goes down.

"You can't control that, so we'll move forward," said Hunt. "We know what Tommy can do. We're excited about that. We have a young player in to get a feel for what we're all about as an organization, so it's a tremendous opportunity for him. We'll see what happens but we're not going to worry. We have a job to do."

Still, Tartaglione doesn't have to be told how important it is for him to stay healthy.

"I think it's more of an unspoken rule," he said with a laugh. "As a backup goalie you know you're not allowed to be hurt as it is. Then you see Linden go down and it's even more stress.

"If you're hurt, put some ice on it. You'll be fine."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

Bran
02-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Oh God...lol...pray for this boys health!