PDA

View Full Version : He wears pink to help the fight (Josh Harding article)

nivek_wahs
02-23-2007, 12:36 PM
Found this on another message board...

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/16744739.htm

He wears pink to help the fight
Wild goalie Josh Harding doesn't mask his feelings for sister's struggle with breast cancer.

BY BRIAN MURPHY
Pioneer Press

Like every NHL goaltender, Wild backup Josh Harding personalizes the colors and design of his mask. The look of his newest headgear is acutely personal.

His older sister, Stephanie, is fighting breast cancer back home in Regina, Saskatchewan. Feeling helpless in Minnesota, Harding joined the crusade.

He had his designer paint the words, "Fund The Fight" and "Find A Cure" on both sides and adorn the new mask with six pink ribbons — the international battle sign against the disease.

"If I was back home, I could go visit her. Being how far away I am, there's really nothing I can do, so I thought I'd show her that she obviously means a lot to me," Harding said Tuesday.

Stephanie Le Bruno, 26, was diagnosed in November and is scheduled to have her third surgery in early March before starting radiation treatment. She choked back tears when talking about her baby brother's gesture during a telephone interview from her office.

"It's pretty amazing. Because he can't be here, this is his way of being with me when I'm going through everything," said Le Bruno, an underwriter for a Regina insurance company. "I don't know where he comes up with this stuff. He just surprises me every day."

The most significant feature designed by North Branch, Minn., graphic artist Todd Miska is the ribbon-wearing angel on the back of the helmet. It is a digital replica of the broach Stephanie wears to every doctor's appointment.

"It's going to be with me for the next operation," said the married Le Bruno, who is optimistic about her recovery. "They caught it really early. It hasn't spread anywhere else."

Breast cancer is the most common cancer among Canadian women among the population of 32 million. Last year, more than 22,000 women were diagnosed with breast cancer and 5,300 died from the disease, according to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation.

The American Cancer Society reported about 41,000 women died from breast cancer in 2006 while approximately 275,000 new cases were diagnosed in the United States, which has almost 300 million people.

Josh Harding, 22, is the youngest of the three children, and he was devastated when he heard his second-oldest sister had cancer.

"Once it actually happens to you, it hurts a lot. It's a family member you really love. I can't say enough about her. She's an awesome person," he said. "It's tough luck that had to happen. We're going to try to get her the best treatment and try to get her better."

Harding is collecting autographed sticks from teammates and opponents across the NHL for an online auction after the season to raise funds for the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation.

Last week, he pitched the concept of the mask to Miska, who counts Manny Fernandez and Niklas Backstrom of the Wild, Ed Belfour of the Florida Panthers and Miikka Kiprusoff of the Calgary Flames among his NHL clients.

Miska presented the finished product to Harding before Tuesday's game against the Dallas Stars at the Xcel Energy Center.

"He took my idea and ran with it. I'm very happy with how it turned out," he said.

Harding also has no qualms about donning a predominantly pink piece of equipment in a sport chock full of machismo.

"I'll take the beating. It's for a great cause."

nivek_wahs
03-05-2007, 03:13 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=8a6e57a2-42a8-47c6-9b79-d19d678ef58f

Can't mask his feelings

Iain MacIntyre, CanWest News Service
Published: Saturday, March 03, 2007

VANCOUVER -- Josh Harding's nightmare gets in the way of his dream.

The fright won't go away, so Harding is trying to understand it, confront it. If you are scared of the dark, you walk around with the lights off.

If your sister has cancer, you spend hours on the Internet learning about it, hours more talking to her about it. And you pray.

Then, if you're Josh Harding, you redesign your goalie mask. And when the good dream comes true, you play in the National Hockey League with a mask decorated in pink ribbons to raise awareness for breast cancer.

Actually, you do more than play. You shut out the Edmonton Oilers 5-0 on Thursday, believing the angel painted on the back of your mask is also watching over your sister.

"I'm pretty sure she had a lot to do with that shutout," Harding, a 22-year-old rookie from Regina, said Friday after practising with the Minnesota Wild for Sunday's game against the Vancouver Canucks.

"I dedicate every game I play to her. Her initials are on the back of my helmet, so she's always with me."

Harding's big sister Stephanie hasn't been out of his mind since she was diagnosed with breast cancer 21/2 months ago. And since the former Regina Pats star's callup to the NHL from minor-league Houston, she hasn't been off his mask.

Harding said there was no history of cancer in his family, which includes another older sister, Becky, and his parents, Tim and Eileen, who work for the SaskTel and an insurance company.

The cancer diagnosis of Stephanie, who is 26, clubbed Harding with more force than any shot he has faced.

"My family is all very close," Harding said. "My mom and dad are actually coming in to Vancouver. My family is as tight as can be. Hopefully, they caught (the cancer) soon enough. When it hits you, it hits pretty hard.

"I didn't think about it all my life until it actually hit me. And once it hits you, it's not a good feeling. I've had a lot of trouble with it. Catholic family. We're not hard-core, but I've prayed every night since my sister was diagnosed."

Harding isn't relying on faith alone. A Web site (fundthefight.com) has been started, built around Harding's idea to raise money for breast cancer research by auctioning off his pink-ribbon mask at the end of the season. He is accumulating signed sticks from other NHL players that also will be sold.

The Wild recalled Harding five weeks ago from the American League's Houston Aeros after Minnesota starter Manny Fernandez sprained his knee. For a month, however, Harding mostly watched from the bench as outstanding newcomer Niklas Backstrom went on a 9-2-1 run that was interupted in the first period of Wednesday's game in Calgary, where he strained a groin muscle.

Harding, who started three NHL games near the end of last season after the Wild traded goalie Dwayne Roloson, played the final 45 minutes of a 2-1 shootout loss to the Flames, stopping 21 of 22 shots. The next night in Edmonton, he stopped all 30 Oilers shots in a 5-0 win that kept Minnesota a point behind Vancouver in the Northwest Division race.

"Before every game, I think about her," Harding said of Stephanie. "Even during the game, there might be a rush coming at me and I say to myself: 'C'mon, do it for Steph.' Including one earlier relief appearance, Harding has a goals-against average of 0.49 and a save percentage of .982 while wearing pink. He has two shutouts in four NHL starts.

By the way, Harding didn't begin playing in goal until he was 14 -- he was a catcher in baseball and figured snaring a puck must be similar to shagging fastballs or blocking curves in the dirt -- which means he had four seasons of netminding to his credit when the Wild chose him in the second round of the 2002 entry draft.

Backstrom, who practised Friday, may start Sunday against the Canucks, although Harding will get at least a few more days of NHL pay as Fernandez nears recovery.

"It's a pretty close family," Wild goaltending coach Bob Mason said of the Hardings. "Early on, (Josh) might have been affected by this a little bit. But he was playing a lot of games in Houston. Maybe he's got a little more drive to get out there with that mask and perform for his sister and do the best he can."

Josh not playing Sunday, even with his parents here, will be easy for the Harding family compared to Wednesday. He said that's when Stephanie is scheduled for surgery.

"They're going to go in and try to remove some of it," Josh said. "We're going to find out a lot more with that surgery. I'll be praying. Hopefully, it all goes good. A lot of women have this and I feel badly for every one of them.

"Since I found out, I've been talking to her every day or second day. Being so far away from her ... I can't really get to see her and see how she's doing, but I wanted to let her know I was always thinking about her, so I put the breast cancer ribbons on my helmet.

"I think this means a lot to her, that her baby brother is always thinking about her and trying to show how much she means to him.''

Vancouver Sun

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007