PDA

View Full Version : Top lines

longtimefan7
02-26-2007, 08:38 PM
mm

SectionNDeserter
02-26-2007, 08:58 PM
And yet he seemed to do just fine in key situations and looked good when they beat them the night before.... It doesn't seem right somehow to single out a bad play by one defensemen in a game where the Rebels only scored one goal.... Morin doesn't make that mistake, its a 3-1 loss instead of a 4-1 loss.

Shinyshoes
02-26-2007, 10:58 PM
I agree with SND. (is that 3 times this year? Is SND finally comming around or am I Lowering my standards? ;) )

Morrin was one of our stronger d-men on friday, and EVERYONE makes mistakes...

We need to learn how to score goals against that MH team if we are going to make any noise in the playoffs, regardless of how good/bad/indifferent our defence are.

hockey4
02-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Sutter really needs to come to terms with the fact that Morin cannot play against the top line from teams like the Hat. The give aways cost the team the game, and to put Morin out on a 5 on 3 is like the team having to play 5 on 2. Just not experienced or strong enough to compete against those kind of players. At least Lynch can out muscle them. His pretty boy is costing the team valuable points, this is play off hockey give the ball to the guys with experience.

Sutter knows more than you so why would he care what you say. They won 4 in a row, and then 1 loss to the top team and its, sutter favors....., our pp is brutal because....., sutter needs to understand.... . Where were you saturday morning after they beat med hat and morrin played really well. If you understood a lick about hockey, you might "come to terms" with the fact that you reward those that play well.

WHL Rules
02-27-2007, 01:20 AM
Maybe if hockey4 knew a lick about hockey he wouldn't make that comment. If you watched the game on Friday night when the Rebels won, the mistakes that Morin made against the top line were covered up by Reimer's great play. Just because they won doesn't mean there were no mistakes. Try watching the entire game, play for play, and see how many times Reimer saved the day.
To say that a player played well because the team won is the same as saying a player wins a fight because he got the take down. Not so.
Oh and by the way I was in Medicine Hat on Saturday, just so you know.

Ever thought about seeing a doctor? Your obsession with this kid is troublesome. :p

WHL Rules
02-27-2007, 03:30 AM
I know enough about hockey, thanks. :D
Your logic is great. So Morin is not responsible if they win (because it's a team sport) but he is responsible if they loose, despite the fact that they only scored one goal? :confused:

The last 15 games before Morin joined the team the Rebels were 0.500 (7 wins, 7 losses and one overtime loss). In the 28 games with Morin the Rebels are 0,518. The Rebels started great into the season but they were playing only slightly above 0.500 hockey long before Morin joined them.

By the way, you forgot Berube or do you think he won't be back next year?

SectionNDeserter
02-27-2007, 08:03 AM
Just stating the facts boys. Look at the teams record from when he arrived. Not very good. You can say what you want about the top line not producing, the fact is he has been added to the top line, coincidence, lol. You have your opinion and I have mine.It was also about the same time that Hanzal left the team for the World Jr. team. Upon his return, the other teams in the league figured out how to beat the 06-07 Rebels and started to grab hold of Hanzal with both hands and drag around behind him the second he steps on the ice. It was also around that time that Moore got injured and has looked like a shell of his former self since returning.

They will have Morin, Egener, Scarborough, Kozyra (who he has playing forward), and maybe Lynch. Will have to be looking for more depth than that.
I seriously doubt Egener will be back, he has played his way down the depth chart too far in the last 2 seasons. Sutter will be wanting to trim back some of his 88's in the summer, and either him or Berube will be going(or both), and right now between the two of them I seriously doubt it is going to be Berube. As far as Lynch goes, If Sutter isn't able to secure any talented overage players (as I don't think we will have any back) I would like to see this guy come back, mostly just to have one of the tougher players in the league on the Rebels. But the reality is, Lynch is not designed for the 'new NHL' or WHL as it were, and gets beat on a LOT of board battles (where a large, not-so-mobile defenseman simply can't afford to get beat), and that is why he probably won't be back.

Like you, I am worried about their lack of depth on the blueline next season. I don't think a handful of our defensemen are good enough to play as 19-20 year olds. With our returning defensemen next year, only Morin has shown that he can consistently move the puck. Morin has looked very good positionally, the only real problem that Morin has currently is that he weighs about a buck and a quarter. He is going to need some time to either fill out, or like Meech did, develop his defensive game as a smaller player.

SectionNDeserter
02-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Henry does cover Morin's side a lot, mostly unnecessarily however. He would probably do a lot better worrying about his own side of the ice. Why do you think Berube would be wasting his time here next season? He is probably our #2 or 3 defenseman currently.

hockey4
02-28-2007, 12:31 AM
The fact still remains Henry covers Morin butt all the time, which is wearing on Henry alot. He has to play both sides of the ice all the time which is draining him. Morin will be a good Dman, I still think his youth is being exposed more and more. As far as Berube is concerned, it would be a waste of his time to return to this team for another season.

then what the hell was your point of this thread. How do you think players become good, you put them in all situations so they become better all rounded players. Sitting him on the bench aint gonna do any good. he is easily a top 3 guy on this team, on an overall not bad d-core (there not outstanding but there young and ont give up the number of goals people think they do). And in that first game against med hat, Reimer only had to make about 3 good saves because our d did a pretty good job of keeping them out of our zone.

SectionNDeserter
02-28-2007, 09:53 AM
I don't think you are looking at the big picture. Henry certainly took the night off last night, but Berube has taken 2 in a row off and his effort has been very up and down in the last 10 games. I do agree that there are however some players getting entirely too much ice time. They should test Brandon Sutter before clearing him to play again, because his play in the last 10 games or so would lead one to believe that he is playing with a concussion or something. Egener seems to have added 'standing around' to his iffy passing and was really more responsible for the goal that you said Berube caused, and yet saw his ice time increase towards the end of the game (I think Berube's woes in the last 10 games or so have a lot to do with being paired with Egener). With most of our defense struggling last night, the only forward in the game that was actually backchecking was Starkov..... STARKOV. I see Vandermeer and Moore getting regular shifts in game recaps, but do they even still play for the Rebels?!? I think that if we are going to lose every game down the stretch to division rivals that they should start scratching some of the 3rd and 4th year guys and dress more of the rookies--at least like Morin they still seem to be improving.

I feel bad for a guy like Pieper who is really average in every area except the punishing, open-ice hitting department. Any time this guy seems to lay out a guy with a good clean hit, he becomes a liability to his team because the officials make up some phantom penalty against him. When did the WHL become a rec league in regards to bodychecking?

SWANSKI
02-28-2007, 10:15 AM
INTERESTING comments. I'm not sure we were at the same game . Sutters line was bad and probably really bad. Starkov is on that line and if he back checked it was once. he wasnt good even in the first period(the rebels best)_. Vanderneers line (moore,wray) was very good most of the night, they had the puck deep on a cycle most of their time on the ice. They didnt generate a whole lot offensively but didnt give up much checking the top line. Wrays penalty along with starkovs hold in the offensive zone, coupled with Henrys penalty were definitely the turning point. The rebels lack of the lines getting the puck deep and having turnovers at the blueline were brutal. also the D were equally as bad as one another. Hopefully its just a blip and what Ive noticed is if the game is one of high tempo our D and forwards seem to hreact quicker and make smarter decisions. The canes slowed down the game by just dumping the puck out and waiting for rebels mistakes, of which there were lots.

Rebel66
02-28-2007, 01:37 PM
I really wish we'd been told beforehand that the Rebels would fail to show up last night then we could have all stayed warm at home. Pitiful effort in a pretty big game. The Canes played a very sound road game, taking few chances, and capitalizing on the Rebels plentiful mistakes.

The only Rebel who seemed to be actually trying hard last night was call up, Mike Krgovich, in entirely limited icetime it must be said. Sutter should have double shifted the guy. Why not? Nobody else came to play. The thing that bugs me is that the Rebels can play with anybody in their division, when they show up. It seems like the Rebels need an intense game though to "get into it." When they're playing a team that is willing to slow the game down, play a dull mistake free game, the Rebels are lulled into apathetic play.

SWANSKI
02-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Exactly the point I was making, in a high temp game they play better. I would however disagree with a few Vandermeers line cycled the puck low for almost the whole game and Maniago made some great saves off that line down low so Krycovich I didnt see as the only ones working.

SectionNDeserter
02-28-2007, 06:46 PM
INTERESTING comments. I'm not sure we were at the same game . Sutters line was bad and probably really bad. Starkov is on that line and if he back checked it was once.He backchecked a handful of times, which still wasn't enough, but more than most of the other forwards sadly.

Vanderneers line (moore,wray) was very good most of the night, they had the puck deep on a cycle most of their time on the ice. They didnt generate a whole lot offensively but didnt give up much checking the top line.They cycled the puck a few times and then lost it before getting any sort of a play set up (about a dozen times). I prefer the puck cycling that leads to some sort of scoring chance myself, but to each their own.

Wrays penalty along with starkovs hold in the offensive zone, coupled with Henrys penalty were definitely the turning point. Wray and Starkov's penalties were definately real penalties. Henry and Hogg were leaning on each other trying to occupy the same space, and Henry moved away to block the passing lane and Hogg did a triple salcow and sucked the referees in. One of the worst calls I have seen this year. Definitely the nearly 6 minute 5 on 3 was the turning point of the game. I am just happy that we got the 'Lethbridge fan' referees on a night where the Rebels were playing poorly enough that it didn't matter how bad the officiating was.

The rebels lack of the lines getting the puck deep and having turnovers at the blueline were brutalSadly a lot of them weren't even turnovers (at least not forced by aggressive checking), but just the man at the point not keeping it in, or losing a handle on it and putting it outside the line.