PDA

View Full Version : NHL Trade deadline

old_time_hockey
02-27-2007, 03:06 PM
So it's over. And other than offers submited at the buzzer still in the league approval/news release stage, what are your thoughts?

The one that shocks me the most is the Ryan Smith to NYI. This is just a total cap space move. Damn shame what the salary cap has done to the NHL.

Bertuzzi to Detroit. If he is healthy and can regain his form, this could be the steal of deadline day. Bertuzzi when playing at the level we know he can is one of the most productive forwards in the league. That and with a home in southern Ontario, Detroit isn't that far away and if he fits there, might sign in the offseason with the wings.

I think the Canucks did well. Not giving up a prospect and using a glut of 2nd Rd. picks Nonis had to use. Get a known 5th Dman that was upset being traded away and a center for Naslund to play with.

Blades 4 Life!
02-27-2007, 03:27 PM
This years trade deadline was kind of boring. I skipped school to see it.

-Bertuzzi Traded to Detroit For Draft Pick and Prospect
-Perrault Traded to Toronto For Brenden Bell and Draft Pick
-Ryan Symth Traded to NY Islanders For Patrick O'Marra, Robert Nilson and 2007 1st Round Draft Pick
-Bill Guerin Traded to San Jose For 1st-round pick, Ville Nieminen and a prospect.
-Buffalo acquire Zubrus, Conklin And Trades Biron to the Flyers
-Penguins add Roberts, Laraque.
-Islanders acquire Zednik for playoff push
-Canucks acquire center Smolinski, defenseman Sopel
-The Flyers first sent Calder, an unrestricted free agent July 1, to Chicago for a 2007 third-round draft pick and Lasse Kukkonen. The Hawks then flipped Calder to the Wings for winger Jason Williams.

There are many more trades but those I thought be posted.

-Many people may think the the Oilers got ripped off in this deal but i think they came out on top for the future. The Oilers got 2 formure 1st round draft picks and got a 2007 1st round draft pick. Nilson is already a pretty steady force but in a couple years he is going to be putting up Symth numbers easly. But thats IMO so....

Hopefully the Leafs can start winning some games with the addition of Yanic Perrault. He is the number 1 faceoff winner for the last 5 years. So he will be able to help the leafs out on the power play and the penalty kill.

Toswammi
02-27-2007, 03:55 PM
This years trade deadline was kind of boring. I skipped school to see it.

-Bertuzzi Traded to Detroit For Draft Pick and Prospect
-Perrault Traded to Toronto For Brenden Bell and Draft Pick
-Ryan Symth Traded to NY Islanders For Patrick O'Marra, Robert Nilson and 2007 1st Round Draft Pick
-Bill Guerin Traded to San Jose For 1st-round pick, Ville Nieminen and a prospect.
-Buffalo acquire Zubrus, Conklin And Trades Biron to the Flyers
-Penguins add Roberts, Laraque.
-Islanders acquire Zednik for playoff push
-Canucks acquire center Smolinski, defenseman Sopel
-The Flyers first sent Calder, an unrestricted free agent July 1, to Chicago for a 2007 third-round draft pick and Lasse Kukkonen. The Hawks then flipped Calder to the Wings for winger Jason Williams.

There are many more trades but those I thought be posted.

-Many people may think the the Oilers got ripped off in this deal but i think they came out on top for the future. The Oilers got 2 formure 1st round draft picks and got a 2007 1st round draft pick. Nilson is already a pretty steady force but in a couple years he is going to be putting up Symth numbers easly. But thats IMO so....

Hopefully the Leafs can start winning some games with the addition of Yanic Perrault. He is the number 1 faceoff winner for the last 5 years. So he will be able to help the leafs out on the power play and the penalty kill.

Umm the Smyth deal was terrible for the Oilers. Nilson might get to be a decent 2nd liner. O'Marra maybe the third line. And the draft pick. Every pick 15-50 can be flip flopped this year. Its a weak draft.

Blades 4 Life!
02-27-2007, 04:04 PM
No I was talking about that trade being good in the future. When O'Marra and Nilson get more mature that is going to be a good trade for the Oilers. For right now it is a horrible trade but for the future "IMO"

Toswammi
02-27-2007, 04:16 PM
But how much can you trade for the future. With players becoming FA's sooner the future is a short span now. The players Edmonton got will not make much of an impact with the team IMO. Should have got some now/tommorow talent. Not 4 years from now talent.

Blades 4 Life!
02-27-2007, 04:22 PM
But how much can you trade for the future. With players becoming FA's sooner the future is a short span now. The players Edmonton got will not make much of an impact with the team IMO. Should have got some now/tommorow talent. Not 4 years from now talent.

Ya you do have a good point! I guess i really didn't look ta it that way.

nivek_wahs
02-28-2007, 02:16 AM
Am I missing something or did Buffalo screw up? They trade Biron to Philadelphia (o how my Flyers needed a goalie... I am very happy right now) for a 2nd rounder. Okay good trade the Sabres get something for Biron but they turn around and pick up Ty Conklin to be their back-up goalie. I'm sorry but if Ryan Miller was to get injured I think Buffalo would have some serious issues.

In all honesty I think that the shock trade of the day was the Ryan Smyth to the Isles. When I read that I had to pinch myself to see if I was dreaming... What was K. Lowe thinking? Okay I know that the Oil season is all but finished and they did get some decent prospects and 1st round pick... but the "Face of the Oilers"... wow. There have been reports that the 2 sides were $200-300 thousand apart for a new contract... wow is all I have left to say. This doesn't leave out the fact that come free agent day Smyth is an Oiler again... only time will tell.

The only team that imo lost out today was Montreal... they are in need of a starting goalie while Huet is out with his injury (rest of the year). So what do they do? go out and claim Michael Leighton off of waivers from the Flyers... Trouble in Montreal? I don't know.

Getting off my soap box now... haha

SectionNDeserter
02-28-2007, 07:07 AM
What was K. Lowe thinking? Okay I know that the Oil season is all but finished and they did get some decent prospects and 1st round pick... but the "Face of the Oilers"...Not an Oiler fan, so I had a good time rubbing this one in all day to all the Oiler fans I know. :laugh:

I think that Lowe probably had a long look at his team and decided that it might be in his best interest to use the 5mil or so that he would be dropping on Smyth to grab a free agent defenseman in the summer. Or maybe Smyth is planning on coming back in the Summer, and took one for the team by having to play for the Islanders for a few months to get his team a 1st rounder and some players to play with Shremp in the AHL.

Toswammi
02-28-2007, 08:47 AM
I have a feeling that Smyth wont be playing in Edmonton next year either. Either way it was a sweet day to rub it in with the Oil fans.

wango tango
02-28-2007, 03:47 PM
Deadline winners.

Nashville - Forsberg was the biggest prize to land, and the Preds got him. Their depth chart at centre is scary.

San Jose - With the addition of Guerin the Sharks now have the firepower at forward to compete with the Ducks. The Pacific Division is tough.

Philadelphia - If the Flyers can sign Martin Biron, and I have no doubt they can, they will have picked up a starting goaltender for a 2nd round pick.

New York Islanders - Ryan Smyth is exactly what the Isles need to help put them over the top and into a playoff spot.

Deadline losers.

Edmonton - The Oilers basically waved the white flag and gave up the playoffs. How good or bad this deal is could well turn on the 2007 1st round pick they got with O'Marra and Nilsson.

Montreal - While other teams around the Canadiens like Atlanta and New York went out and improved their lineup, Montreal stood pat. Not that Rivet is a monstrous talent, however team in the Habs position should be adding talent not shedding it.

Carolina - I'm surprised Rutherford did nothing at the deadline to fill the hole left by Erik Cole's injury. The Canes have played well lately and are in playoff contention, but have underperformed and could go from the penthouse to the outhouse in a year.

Toronto - Only three points out of a playoff spot and Ferguson adds a retread in Perrault. Was the asking price for other 'impact' players more than the Leafs willing to pay? Could the lack of fireworks for the buds signal a change in direction where they build from within?