PDA

View Full Version : Next season

rinkrat
03-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Does anyone care to speculate on next seasons roster?
Twenty year olds,captain etc?

Beaner
03-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Well its really early but what the heck.

Our available 20 year olds will be

Kraus
Watt
Bliznak
McArdle
Hunt
Wuchterl

Mikkelson
Franson
Neufeld

Cant see them using a spot on 20 yr old backup so Neufeld is gone.

Franson and McArdle should both make their respective AHL teams.
Watt and Mikkelson have a good shot at making the cut, for their AHL teams as well.

So that leaves

Kraus
Hunt
Bliznak
Wuchterl

Hunt and Wuchterl are similar players, Hunt will get the nod if he manages to come back at the same strength as before the injury.

Cant see the Giants using a spot for a Euro and a 20, look for a new Euro next year, so Bliznak moves on to more than likely a European league.

So for my money, the 2 to make the team are Hunt and Kraus with an open spot being left open for either a returning Mikkelson or Watt.

As to the captain, there is no doubt in my mind, Lucic gets the nod.

PS: Congrats on starting the 1,000 thread in the Giants forum Rinkrat.

GF71
03-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Well its really early but what the heck.

Our available 20 year olds will be

Kraus
Watt
Bliznak
McArdle
Hunt
Wuchterl

Mikkelson
Franson
Neufeld

Cant see them using a spot on 20 yr old backup so Neufeld is gone.

Franson and McArdle should both make their respective AHL teams.
Watt and Mikkelson have a good shot at making the cut, for their AHL teams as well.

So that leaves

Kraus
Hunt
Bliznak
Wuchterl

Hunt and Wuchterl are similar players, Hunt will get the nod if he manages to come back at the same strength as before the injury.

Cant see the Giants using a spot for a Euro and a 20, look for a new Euro next year, so Bliznak moves on to more than likely a European league.

So for my money, the 2 to make the team are Hunt and Kraus with an open spot being left open for either a returning Mikkelson or Watt.

As to the captain, there is no doubt in my mind, Lucic gets the nod.

PS: Congrats on starting the 1,000 thread in the Giants forum Rinkrat.

I agree with you Beaner, except I think they may look out of the organization for the third OA player. I can't see any of the signed players coming back. Highly unlikey that they will have both Wookie and Hunt back IMO.

Beaner
03-01-2007, 07:52 PM
I agree with you Beaner, except I think they may look out of the organization for the third OA player. I can't see any of the signed players coming back. Highly unlikey that they will have both Wookie and Hunt back IMO.

I somewhat agree about the signed players.

However, I have this feeling Mikkelson may be back just due to the Ducks depth, and his less than stellar play this year.

Watt is a weird one, I was really shocked by the Flames signing him. Not sure if they are trying to boost their farm depth or what was up with that. I have to admit he is having a very good year, but he still seems to be in and out of games.

I figure Wuchterl will be left unprotected and grabbed by Edmonton.

Kassian
03-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Overage players:
1. Kraus
2. Hunt
3. ?????

And the last spot is really up for grabs. Franson and Watt will be playing pro, Bliznak and Neufeld aren't likely to return and if Hunt is back there isn't much of a reason having Wuchterl, IMO. I'd love to see McArdle back for another season but we'll have to see what happens. Mikkelson should be back (based to his poor performance most of the season) but Anaheim is really high on him for whatever reason. So his likelihood of returning is also up in the air.

And I am positive Lucic will be the captain next season. As far as the "A's" go, that's anybody's guess but Hunt should definitely have one.

N.W. Bruin
03-01-2007, 11:31 PM
McArdle and Franson gone for sure. Neufeld will not be back as others have stated why waste a overage spot on him with Sexsmith going to play the majority of games. Wuchterl and Hunt are identical and neither can produce regularly enough.

Mikkelson and Watt are likely gone. Strange as it seems maybe the Giants will have Bliznak back even though he is a Euro overage. Would they be able to upgrade on him in the Euro draft? Remember Havel or Kovar? With Mario you know what you get.

Third and maybe even the second spot might come from outside the organization.

N.W. Bruin
03-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Does anyone care to speculate on next seasons roster?
Twenty year olds,captain etc?

This is definitely not as easy as picking the roster for this season. Could be upwards of ten rookies.

Forwards
Kraus
Lucic
Repik
Machachek
Wright
Bouma
Czibere
Cunningham
Piluso (Rookie)
Kane (Rookie)
Henry? (Rookie)
Overage from outside organization
Unknown Rookie?

Defence
Regner
Blum
Toigo
Manning
Rookie Euro?
Overage from outside organization
Rookie?

Goal
Sexsmith
Rookie?

Basically they need help on defence so the chances of them taking a Euro d-man is quite strong. That is unless Bliznak is in their plans up front.

One thought stands out their defence has got holes and unless they grab a overage d-man or get Mikkelson back their defence will be made up of eighteen year olds and younger. The Euro D-man could also be a nineteen year old.

Carebear
03-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Umm, excuse me Mr. N.W. Bruin, but I think you're forgetting someone.

Anyways, I really don't know enough about picking players to make up a list. So I'll go with whatever Dondo says...he's usually pretty smart about it HAH.

N.W. Bruin
03-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Umm, excuse me Mr. N.W. Bruin, but I think you're forgetting someone.

Anyways, I really don't know enough about picking players to make up a list. So I'll go with whatever Dondo says...he's usually pretty smart about it HAH.

I am not sure he will be around. The overager has to be able to score regularly. Anyway it will be interesting.

Giants will likely protect three overagers instead of none plus twelve others instead of sixteen others in the expansion draft. Don't really see them making a deal because of the numbers game this time around.

Kraus
Watt - just in case he is back
Mikkelson/outside shot Bliznak

Hunt might just be the best available guy for Edmonton to pick up. Hopefully the Oil Kings play both in Vancouver and Chilliwack next season. Would be a bummer to not see them once at all.

old_time_hockey
03-02-2007, 08:27 PM
And I am positive Lucic will be the captain next season. As far as the "A's" go, that's anybody's guess but Hunt should definitely have one.

Yeah, Hunt has to have an A. And for my money, Czibere gets one as well.

Czibere is a Hay kind of player. Consistant, works every night, finishes checks and will drop em if need be. That and I gather is well liked by all the guys.

dondo
03-02-2007, 08:28 PM
actually Hunt brings so much more to the table -- I think the team would do well to bring him back. Fan favorite and an impact player that does stuff that no-one else actually does the way he can.

Wuchterl and Hunt are similar players, but on my team I'd pick Hunt every time. I think your 20's should be leaders and motivators and that's something Hunt brings.

You don't keep him to score goals you keep him as the glue that holds everything together -- that guy is chemistry incarnate.

For my money if Hunt is healthy and willing to play the same way.. he should be a lock.

Kassian
03-02-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm almost 100% positive Hunt will be back next season. I don't think that will be an issue at all.