PDA

View Full Version : Todd Gets Green Light

Tiger Trauma
03-02-2007, 05:35 AM
Todd finally gets the green light to play again
By DARREN STEINKE
Mar 2, 2007, 23:15

Daine Todd is hoping he can help shoulder some of the offensive load again for the Medicine Hat Tigers.
Since his second season with the Tigers back in the 2004-05, the now 19-year-old centre has been battling chronic problems, separating both of his shoulders. This season, he has appeared in only one game, when the Tigers defeated the Broncos in Swift Current 2-1 on Sept. 29, 2006.
Todd is scheduled to miss tonight’s home game against the Broncos, which starts at 7:30 p.m. However, he is slated to dress for Saturday’s road game in his hometown of Red Deer.
“I am sure to be nervous getting back on (the ice) for the first time,” said Todd, who had the winning goal in the September victory over the Broncos. “I think, right now, I am just more excited than anything to get back out there.
“I am sure the first two shifts will be a little nervewracking. I think, once I get out there and kind of get going again, it will feel good.”
After having his third surgery in three years in October, Todd began a lengthy rehabilitation process. He learned from the doctors that his shoulder sockets are smaller than they should be. As a result of his genetic difficulty, his shoulders dislocate easily.
He hopes this time around he has strengthened them up enough to put his injury problems in the past. The Tigers coaching staff has also been patient as far as getting Todd into game shape goes.
Todd has practiced with the Tigers for about the past month.
“It has been real good with Will and the coaches,” said Todd, who made it a habit of scoring clutch goals for the team last year. “I have been out all this year, and have had problems with it in the past.
“It is a bit of a confidence booster that they stuck with me. Now, I need to get back and give it another shot.”
Coach Willie Desjardins and his staff have a history of supporting players who are having serious injury troubles. In the 2002-03 season, centre Ryan Hollweg missed all but four regular season games due to a concussion injury. The Tigers staff supported the now current New York Ranger, and he returned in 2003-04 to captain the Tigers to a WHL championship as a 20-year-old.
“I am definitely hoping that this is the end of my injuries,” said Todd, who had 14 goals and 30 assists in 59 games last year. “I am just trying to comeback and try to put together a good playoff run and hopefully, a good year next year.
“I kind of feel like I owe it to the team.”

-From the online edition of the Medicine Hat News