PDA

View Full Version : Rowat says he's ready to go

nivek_wahs
03-02-2007, 10:51 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=0731000f-ce4e-4eda-95cd-06b53feb9f41

Rowat says he's ready to go

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Friday, March 02, 2007

Regina Pats goaltender Linden Rowat has declared himself healthy after missing seven games with a back injury.

The only thing still hurting is his pride.

Rowat, a Grade 12 student at O'Neill High School, suffered the injury on Feb. 6 during a seemingly innocent exercise in phys-ed class. He rested for two games but reinjured his back three outings later.

Now, after sitting out five more contests, he's itching to get back in the lineup -- for more reasons than one.

"I've been getting a hard time from everyone -- teachers, coaches, players," Rowat said with a laugh when asked how the injury occurred. "It happened in gym, playing a game called speed ball. I had a ball in my hand. I dropped it and kicked it and my back just seized up.

"I haven't participated much in gym since," he added, tongue planted in cheek. "I've been taking it easy."

The fact that Rowat can laugh about his misfortune is a solid indication that he's feeling better. He has been practising with the team all week and is ready to get back in the lineup -- perhaps as early as tonight's home-ice meeting with the Prince Albert Raiders.

"I hate watching the boys play; it just kills me," he said. "If I get the start, I'll be happy. I'll be ready to take off from where I left off. The last couple days I've felt great. I haven't felt any pain. I've just been getting back into shape and getting my timing back. It's going good so far."

The words "so far" come with a hint of caution. The manner in which Rowat was hurt has emphasized how easily injuries can occur -- and how important it is to take care of yourself off the ice.

"The lesson I learned was I have to be in better shape I guess and strengthen my core a little bit more so the injury won't reoccur," he said. "I'm pretty confident it won't (happen again) because the things I've been doing in practice are the things I'm going to be doing in the game. Nothing tweaked and there wasn't any pain at all in the lower back. It's completely healed now and I'm ready to get back in there."

Head coach Curtis Hunt isn't tipping his hand as to whether his No. 1 goalie will get the call against Prince Albert. However, with rookie Damien Ketlo having returned to his midget club in Prince George, Rowat is expected to at least dress as the backup for tonight's contest.

The schedule necessitates that Rowat will see action at least once in the next three games. Regina concludes the weekend with a home-and-home set against the Saskatoon Blades.

"With three games in three nights, it's good to share the load," said Hunt, who has called upon Tommy Tartaglione to start the past three games. "You can't discount the play of Tommy. He had one (game), maybe 11/2, where he wasn't happy with his own performance. Other than that he has played very strong for us. We have to carefully consider (Rowat's) injury and assess what's best for the team in the long term."

Rowat, who's in his first season as a starter, has been one of the main reasons for the Pats' turnaround since the New Year. The top-rated WHL goalie for the 2007 NHL entry draft, Rowat sports a record of 21-17-1-4 this season with a 2.96 goals-against average and four shutouts.

Tartaglione has also been effective in his role, posting a record of 8-5-1-0 with a 2.93 GAA and two goose eggs. He has played his best hockey at the Brandt Centre, going 7-1 on home ice compared to 1-4-1-0 on the road.

Conventional wisdom would suggest Rowat will play tonight and Sunday, with Tartaglione getting the call in the middle contest. However, Saturday's game is on the road.

"You're only as good as your last game," countered Hunt, noting that Tartaglione is coming off a 5-1 win over the Tri-City Americans. "That's usually the way we look at things. We'll assess where we're at (with respect to) the present time versus what the stats say."

SCOUTING REPORT

PRINCE ALBERT (25-32-3-3)

at REGINA (30-27-2-4)

Today, 7 p.m., Brandt Centre

Radio: 620 CKRM

Key injuries: REGINA -- None to report; PRINCE ALBERT -- None to report.

Overview: Prince Albert's 7-4 loss to the Moose Jaw Warriors on Wednesday was the 964th game in the WHL head-coaching career of Peter Anholt, who moved past Pat Ginnell and into third place on the all-time list. Only Ernie McLean (1,067) and Ken Hodge (1,411) have coached more games. Anholt has 448 career wins, just five behind former Pats bench boss Bob Lowes for fifth place . . . After losing three-straight games in late-February, the Pats have responded by claiming five of a possible six points against three top-tier clubs: Kootenay (2-1 win), Brandon (6-5 OT loss) and Tri-City (5-1 win) . . . Regina has a record of 3-1 with two shootout losses against P.A. this season . . . The Raiders have lost two in a row and eight of their last nine . . . The Pats are without two key players due to the Canada Winter Games: Leading goal-scorer Jordan Eberle (Team Alberta) and D Colten Teubert (B.C.). Raiders D Blaine Tendler and LW Jordan Trach are with Team Saskatchewan . . . P.A. is led by 18-year-old rookie Matt Robertson, who has 33 goals and 56 points in 60 games . . . C Ryan McDonald (24-20--44) has enjoyed a breakthrough -- 16 goals and 34 points in 33 games -- since he was acquired from the Pats, who picked up LW Josh Elder in the deal. Elder has played just four games with Regina, primarily due to a wrist injury . . . The Pats have a home record of 20-8-1-2. Prince Albert is 9-20-0-3 on the road.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007