PDA

View Full Version : Ellerby Benched

scamperdog
03-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Clark runs out of patience with Ellerby www.kamloopsnews.ca
by Gregg Drinnan

If the Kamloops Blazers are to end their seven-game losing streak tonight, they will have to do it without defenceman Keaton Ellerby.

A potential early first-round selection in the NHL’s 2007 draft, Ellerby will watch from on high tonight as the Blazers and Calgary Hitmen meet at the Interior Savings Centre.

“I’ve had enough,” said Dean Clark, the Blazers’ general manager and head coach, prior to Thursday’s practice in which Ellerby, who is in his third season, did not take part.

“When he wants to come and be part of our group,” Clark added, “we’ll welcome him back with open arms.”

In recent games, Ellerby has been guilty of numerous turnovers and poor decisions that have led to penalties and criticism from the coaching staff. The final straw for Clark came during the third period of Wednesday’s 4-1 loss to the visiting Everett Silvertips. Ellerby was penalized for delay of game when he shot the puck from his defensive zone into the crowd. He then compounded matters by talking his way into an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

“Even though we’re down 3-1, we’re still coming,” Clark said. “It’s unfortunate that the puck goes into the stands . . . I don’t think he tried to do it. But then he beaks the referee and takes a minor.

“We told the guys a long time ago, ‘No talking to the referees.’ We don’t need to take those penalties.”

Ellerby has two goals this season, both coming in a 3-2 victory in Calgary on Oct. 13. He has taken 22 penalty minutes over his last four games, this coming after a stretch in which he took 33 minutes over four games.

In a 6-5 overtime loss to visiting Chilliwack a week ago, Ellerby took penalties resulting in four Bruins’ power plays on which they scored twice.

On the season, Ellerby penalties have resulted in 48 opposition power plays, well ahead of fellow defencemen Ryan Bender (36) and Victor Bartley (31).

With the Blazers coming off a 2-8-2 February in which they went from leading the B.C. Division by three points to trailing the Vancouver Giants by eight, Bender said the team simply can’t afford to keep shooting itself in the foot.

“It just seems like one mistake costs us the game,” Bender said. “We’re just kind of struggling all over the ice.”

And that, Bender said, is the opposite of what the Blazers went through prior to February.

“Totally (the opposite),” he said. “Everything from bounces not going our way to penalties not going our way . . . pretty much everything.”

Centre Brock Nixon agreed, but added: “Earlier in the season we earned our bounces. Every break we got, we earned. Right now. we haven’t done enough to earn those breaks.”

Everyone in the dressing room is adamant that this team rode high as one and it hit the skids as one. And they know it will take a team effort to get things turned around.

“We’re all going to have to do it together,” Bender said. “We’re in this together. For us to be successful and get back on track we’re going to need everyone bringing their simple games . . . to try and get us out of this slump.”

Nixon said the players are hopeful that they can build on what was a terrific first period against Everett.

“Anytime you lose seven straight your confidence isn’t going to be quite where it needs to be,” said Nixon, who leads the club with 74 points but is pointless in his last three games. “It’s starting to come along in baby steps. We had a real great start to the game (Wednesday) night. Our physical play was there. It was just a matter of bearing down on those chances we do get.”

At the same time, the Blazers are well aware that they have to keep their chins up.

“We’ve been fairly positive and that’s been important,” Bender said. “We can’t get too down because we’ve got nine games left and we really want to get out of this funk and try to start winning some games and get some confidence going into the playoffs.”

“We want to be playoff-ready and be in playoff mode right now,” Nixon added. “We’re starting to get low on games here. We’ve got to get our game where it needs to be as quick as we can.”

JUST NOTES: C Reid Jorgensen, who had elbow surgery Friday, skated by himself prior to practice yesterday and is on schedule to return March 14 in Seattle against the Thunderbirds. . . . D Mark Schneider (midget AAA Brandon Wheat Kings) and D Joel Woznikoski (BCHL’s Westside Warriors) returned to their teams yesterday. . . . D Kurt Torbohm, the Blazers’ fifth-round pick in the 2005 bantam draft, will join the team for a couple of weekend games. From Chase, Torbohm plays for the Revelstoke Grizzlies, who are embroiled in the KIJHL playoffs.

It will be Ontario and Manitoba meeting for gold at the Canada Winter Games in Whitehorse today, while Alberta and B.C. play for bronze. Blazers D Jordan Rowley has two goals in four games with Alberta, while G Dalyn Flette put up a shutout in his one start. RW Tyler Shattock has one goal in four games with Team B.C. . . . The Blazers also have three prospects at the Winter Games. LW Shayne Wiebe of Manitoba has four points, including two goals, in four games, while C Paul Van de Velde has four assists in four games. C Jimmy Bubnick of Saskatchewan has five points, three of them goals, in four games.

MJCO5
03-02-2007, 07:54 PM
It's about damn time the lazy SOB got sat

scamperdog
03-03-2007, 12:58 PM
By GREGG DRINNAN
Daily News Sports Editor www.blazerhockey.com

By Friday evening, the shock had worn off and Keaton Ellerby was resigned to watching that night's WHL game from the catwalk high above the Interior Savings Centre ice surface.

"I am quite disappointed," Ellerby said before the Kamloops Blazers, without their highly touted defenceman, faced the Calgary Hitmen. "But I made a poor decision and a bad mistake and need to pay for my actions." Ellerby, an 18-year-old in his third season with the Blazers, was taken aside by general manager/head coach Dean Clark prior to Thursday's practice and told that he would be sitting out that day's on-ice session and last night's game.

Ellerby has made a series of poor on-ice decisions in recent weeks and Clark decided that a wakeup call was necessary. In the latest incident, Ellerby was given a delay of game penalty after depositing the puck into the crowd in the third period of Wednesday's 4-1 loss to the visiting Everett Silvertips. He then talked his way into an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

"(Clark) is always telling me I need to find a switch," Ellerby said, "and when things aren't going well I need to click it, get everyting out of my mind and refocus.

"I need to keep it simple on the ice and not try to do too much. When I'm frustrated I seem to overdo things at times. I need to reset myself and keep things simple." When NHL Central Scouting issued its preliminary rankings early this season, the 6-foot-4, 185-pound Ellerby was the top-ranked WHL player eligible for the 2007 draft. In the mid-term rankings, he was rated sixth among all draft-eligible North American skaters, and No. 1 among defencemen.

Ellerby, who has 21 points and 158 penalty minutes in 61 games, admits that the expectations that come with such a lofty ranking weigh heavily at times.

"I put a little pressure on myself, definitely . . . unneeded pressure," the Calgarian said. "I don't need to put that pressure on myself. I just need to go out and have fun while I'm playing. I enjoy playing hockey and I love hockey and that's what I want to do with my life.

"Putting that pressure on myself doesn't help my cause." By game time, Ellerby was trying to look at his situation in a more positive light.

"It's not a thing that's going to stop me at all," he said. "It's a speed bump not a road block, and I just need to push through it. Tomorrow's a new day; in fact, even today was a new day. Yesterday was a little more heated." He and Clark met Friday and, Ellerby said, the air was cleared.

"We talked and things are better," Ellerby said.

Things will be even better for him tonight - he will back in the lineup when the Blazers meet the Bruins in Chilliwack.

- 07 -

PGFlyfisher
03-03-2007, 06:35 PM
This "bug" that Ellerby has must be contagious and going around the league. We have a few guys up here in PG that have caught it as well and need some "ride the pine" therapy too.
Hopefully everyone gets "well" and we should have a pretty decent 1st round of playoffs coming to our fair cities.