PDA

View Full Version : Sending a strong message

Bran
03-03-2007, 11:28 AM
From the LeaderPost

The Leader-Post
Published: Saturday, March 03, 2007
The Regina Pats, in co-operation with the RCMP and the Regina Police Service, have developed a program entitled Project First Goal. Six current Pats players spent time in Vancouver, both in the notorious East Hastings area and in learning about the drug trade in general. The players have then made a commitment to bring a message based upon their impressions to elementary school age children in Regina.
I had the good fortune to see a recent presentation. The presentation included a video made with the players and the police officers while they visited the "skid row" area of Vancouver. In the video, a number of the residents of East Hastings spoke openly of their lives, their dependency and their lack of hope. It is a powerful message of the reality of drug use.
The six players were obviously impacted by what they saw. They spoke to the children in the audience in terms the students could understand. The students were moved by what they witnessed in the video and highly respectful of the young men who delivered the message.
My compliments to all involved but especially to the Pats hockey club and to the players who have accepted much responsibility to deliver the message.
It is clear to me that Brent Parker, as general manager of the Pats, understands that athletes in high-profile activities are in fact role models. He engaged the players of the Pats to look beyond hockey to see that they can impact our community and the lives of our youth. They provide a message that ones' choice of friends matter -- they matter in that they affect who you become.
The Pats clearly understand the notion of gateway drugs and the long-term effects drugs have on one's life. The players also provide a message of hope -- you are not alone. There are people who care, people such as Pats players, RCMP and Regina Police Service.
It is a strong union with a strong message.
Mike O'Donnell,
Regina.
(O'Donnell is a Regina city councillor.)