PDA

View Full Version : Message sent loud and clear

nivek_wahs
03-03-2007, 04:43 PM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/story.html?id=668ce3dd-8664-4d9e-8ff9-28b0c5de87dc&k=79769

Message sent loud and clear

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Saturday, March 03, 2007
The Regina Pats are abusing the WHL's East Division like a rental car.

Regina continued its dominance of inter-divisional opponents on Friday night by dissecting the Prince Albert Raiders 8-2 before 4,888 observers at the Brandt Centre.

The Pats improved to 22-9-1-3 in games within their own division this season. Each of their final eight regular-season contests is against an East opponent.

"I'd love to win every game like that all the way through," offered Pats head coach Curtis Hunt, whose team clinched a playoff spot with the victory. "We just want to get better every day. That's our mandate. We're preparing for that second season."

Friday's blowout was a pretty good place to start.

"We wanted to send a message to let them know we're for real and if we do end up meeting them in the playoffs that it's going to be a war," said Pats centre Garrett Festerling, who led the attack with four assists. "It was just one of those games where we kept the pace the whole game and never gave up. We just kept driving them into the ground."

Pats No. 1 goalie Linden Rowat returned after missing five games with a recurring back injury. He got off to a rough start, allowing the game's first goal at 7:39 on a long slap shot by Jarrid Dowhay.

It didn't matter.

Regina's Michael MacAngus evened things up with a power-play marker at 13:15. He was back for more just 1:16 later -- this time shorthanded -- thanks to a gorgeous breakaway feed from Logan Pyett, who fired the puck up the middle from his own goal line. MacAngus took the pass in stride at Prince Albert's blueline and went top shelf on David Aime for a 2-1 lead.

The goals were coming fast and furious in the second period, starting with Brett Leffler's deflection off a point shot by Kyle Deck at 6:27. Jared Jagow made it 4-1 at 6:54, but Ryan DePape brought the Raiders back within two a mere 23 seconds later.

Regina blew the doors off in the third period on goals by Kyle Ross, Deck, Josh Elder and Mike Reich. Elder's marker -- his first as a member of the Pats -- also came in his first game against his former team. He was acquired from P.A. on Dec. 6 for Ryan McDonald but missed 27 games with a wrist injury.

Elder tested out his wrist in the second period when he hung a licking on veteran defenceman John Flatters, the first of four tilts in the contest.

"It always feels good to have a good game, but against your old team it feels a little bit better," Elder said with a smile. "It feels good to be back. It was a great team effort."

The Pats finished a mind-boggling 5-for-6 on the power play while holding the Raiders to an 0-for-9 effort.

Rowat settled down nicely to finish with 20 saves. Aime allowed all eight goals on 27 shots for the Raiders (25-33-3-3), who still hold a five-point lead over the Moose Jaw Warriors in the battle for the final playoff spot.

However, Prince Albert has lost nine of its last 10.

"We have the jump but it's kind of like a turtle race," said head coach Peter Anholt. "We have eight games left. We have to try to squeeze our way into the playoffs."

EXTRAS: Pats leading goal-scorer Jordan Eberle had two goals and one assist in Team Alberta's 4-3 win over Colten Teubert and Team B.C. in Friday's bronze-medal game at the Canada Winter Games in Whitehorse. Both players are expected back in Regina's lineup Sunday against the Saskatoon Blades. Eberle finished with six goals and five assists for 11 points in five games. Teubert contributed four assists ... Both of Regina's scratches on Friday were healthy: Forwards Niko Snellman and Levi Lind ... The Pats lead the season series against Prince Albert with a 4-1-0-2 record. They wrap it up on March 14 in P.A.

Scouting Report

SASKATOON (23-36-2-2) at REGINA (31-27-2-4)

Sunday, 6 p.m., Brandt Centre

Radio: 620 CKRM

Key injuries: REGINA -- None to report; SASKATOON -- D Tiegan Zahn (jaw, week-to-week); RW Kenton Dulle (concussion, week-to-week); D Bohdan Visnak (shoulder, out for season); D Ryan Funk (groin, out for season); LW Rastislav Konecny (jaw, week-to-week).

Overview: The Pats and Blades wrap up their season series with a home-and-home set beginning tonight at Credit Union Centre and concluding Sunday at the Brandt Centre . . . Regina has won the past two meetings with Saskatoon, tying the season series at 3-3. The Blades are the only team in the East Division who don't have a losing record against the Pats . . . Saskatoon is coming off a 4-0 loss the Brandon Wheat Kings on Friday. The Blades still have a slim hope of making the playoffs. They sit six points behind fourth-place Prince Albert . . . A Jan. 10 trade between the Pats and Blades continues to pay dividends for both teams. Derek Hulak has 10 goals and 10 assists for 20 points in 22 games with the Blades. Michael MacAngus has 10 goals and 12 assists for 22 points in 22 games with Regina, including four game-winners.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

nivek_wahs
03-03-2007, 06:33 PM
http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/

Pats Pour It On

The Regina Pats had their second-highest offensive outburst of the season last night as they pulverized the visiting Prince Albert Raiders 8-2 in the Brandt Centre. Regina was a devastating 5/6 on the powerplay and, by my count, 10/10 killing penalties.

The goal scorers? Michael MacAngus (2), Brett Leffler, Jared Jagow, K.Ross, Kyle Deck, Josh Elder and Mike Reich. The victory improved the Pats to 31-27-2-4 and on home ice, a convincing 21-8-1-2. That home ledger will help come playoff time, which is in eight games.

This game was absolutely vicious. It wasn't like the ones against Kootenay, where one had to keep his head on swivel to avoid having it knocked off. Rather, the stickwork was incomprehensible last night. Guys were getting speared left and right, high sticks to the teeth, knee-on-knee hits, you name it. And as Pats' assistant coach Terry Perkins admitted on the CKRM Molson Overtime Show, it was going both ways.

Regina's Brett Leffler was speared by P.A.'s Ryan McDonald early in the game and it set the tone. Later on, Regina tough-guy Myles Stoesz pitch-forked the Raiders' Jeff May, and then had to answer for it by taking on Cody Vann. Stoesz subsequently destroyed him. But you get the picture.

Put is this way; Ryan McDonald was not a very popular Pat when he was here. These two teams meet for the final time March 14 at P.A., and it could be 'score-settling' time.

Folks talked about last night's game being a potential 'playoff preview', but I'm not sure why. Here's how the standings look after last night's action which BTW, had these results..... Tri-City 5 Moose Jaw 2, Brandon 4 Saskatoon 0, Medicine Hat 3 Swift Current 0:

Brandon 84
Regina 68
Sw Current 59
P.A. 56
-------------
Moose Jaw 51
Saskatoon 50

As you can see, with the 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 alignment, the Pats would face Swift Current in the opening round of the playoffs and a fair amount has to happen for that to not wind up being the case. I wouldn't mind seeing that, as the Pats haven't played the Broncos in the playoffs in my 12 years with the club and it would be a nice change. A series against either them or P.A. would be difficult, so why not make it a Hwy #1 clash, and cutdown on travel?

Any-hoo, the Pats now need to get their act together on the road where they are a miserable 10-19-1-2. Tonight, they have that chance as they visit the Saskatoon Blades in the Credit Union Centre at 7pm on 620 CKRM (Press Box Sports Bar Pregame at 6:35pm). The Blades are in the basement at 23-35-2-2 with 9 games to go for them. Tonight touches off a home-and-home series which concludes tomorrow night in the Brandt Centre (6:00pm), and the Pats can effectively end the Blades' season just like Saskatoon did to them last year.

Join us tonight!

nivek_wahs
03-04-2007, 02:35 AM
The last 15 posts I have read have been about fighting... who will fight who... who won't fight... why won't they fight... WHO CARES? P.A. and Blades fans should be more worried about their teams making the post-season then who is fighting or not... it's getting kinda dumb but whatever.

I know I am posting a day late but here's the Pats/Raiders notes from March 2. Here are my thoughts....

Starters:
Regina: Rowat - Deck - Pyett - Hill - K. Ross - Leffler
Prince Albert: Aime - May - Malone - McDonald - Smith - Hellyer

Scratches:
Regina: Teubert, Snellman, Lind, Eberle
Prince Albert: Tendler, Trach, Gross, Palazzo

Shots:
Regina: 7-7-13--27
Princa Albert: 7-10-4--21

Power plays:
Regina: 5/6
Prince Albert: 0/9

Scoring:
1. P.A Dowhay, (3) , 7:39
Dowhay comes in and rifles a shot that beats Rowat low blocker-side (I would have to call this one a bad goal... Rowat = rusty?).

1. REG MacAngus, (19) (Festerling, Ross), 13:15 (PP)
With the Pats working the puck deep on the powerplay the puck makes it out front and MacAngus is able to bury the puck during a scramble.

1. REG MacAngus, (20) (Pyett), 14:31 (SH)
MacAngus is sent in on a breakway on a beautiful pass by Pyett and beats Aime high blocker-side.

2. REG Leffler, (13) (Deck, Pyett), 6:27 (PP)
With the Pats on th e power play Deck takes a point shot that is neatly deflected in by Leffler.

2. REG Jagow, (9) (Festerling, MacAngus), 6:54
Pats again outworking the Raiders in their zone and Jagow is able to find the net short side.

2. P.A DePape, (22) (Scherger, Robertson), 7:17
A scramble in front of the Pats goal... DePape is able to bury the loose puck past a sprawling Rowat.

3. REG Ross, (18) (Hill, Leffler), 7:01
Nice goal by K. Ross... spinning and as he was falling he is able to deposit a backhander 5-hole past a startled Aime.

3. REG Deck, (7) (Festerling, Ross), 10:24 (PP)
Point shot by Deck beats Aime 5-hole (looked tipped in front but couldn't tell by whom).

3. REG Elder, (6) (Ross, Festerling), 14:13 (PP)
Yet another scramle type goal. Elder deposits his first goal with the Pats off of an original shot by K. Ross.

3. REG Reich, (13) (Ross, Ofukany), 14:36 (PP)
The Pats have the puck off to Aime's right side and it is eventually worked out front where Reich is given a gift of a goal with Aime down and out scores glove side.

Scraps:
People see what they want to see in fights so I will just say who fought.
Elder vs. Flatters
Stoesz vs. Gauthier
Reich vs. Flatters
Stoesz vs. Vann

Stripes:
Hrycuik and Skilliter - In my opinion a very bad game called by these guys... LOTS of stuff missed BOTH WAYS. There were at least 2 or 3 spears both ways that the officials missed... with 2 referees out there aren't they supposed to see this stuff? I know they have a hard job but whoa... bad game from these guys.

3 Stars:
1. MacAngus - Regina
2. Festerling - Regina
3. N. Ross - Regina
No real arguments here... others could have been chosen but those 3 were decent picks.

Thoughts:
The game was extremely chippy... both teams were going after each other hard. Lots of stick work BOTH WAYS.

For Prince Albert being in such a tight race to make the playoffs I expected a better effort and it didn't happen... Being down only by 2 heading into the 3rd period to come up lame like that and only registering 4 shots... ouch.

Pats played a good game registering 5 goals on 6 PP attempts... WOW. Pats just seemed to want it more on this night.

Attendance:4888

nivek_wahs
03-04-2007, 03:24 AM
And oh ya... with the win on Friday the Pats clinch a playoff spot :clap:

Bran
03-05-2007, 01:27 AM
That was a good game by the Pats on Friday night. They worked hard and didn't let up. The Raiders first goal was pretty weak, but whatever, it didn't really matter anyway. The refs were awful. It's a good thing there are only 3 periods in a game....If that game had gone on any longer, someone was bound to get hurt. I don't doubt that the boys were a little sore on Saturday, but thankfully, no real injuries. (Of course I say that now, and Snellman gets hurt in Saskatoon. :spineyes: )