PDA

View Full Version : Rookie rivalry ends in Eberle's favour

nivek_wahs
03-05-2007, 05:05 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=b2239448-077d-4822-a203-d4323c017e45

Rookie rivalry ends in Eberle's favour

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Monday, March 05, 2007
Colten Teubert and Jordan Eberle are glad to be teammates again.

After sharing the same dressing room for six months as members of the Regina Pats, the blue-chip rookies found themselves on opposite sides during Friday's bronze-medal game at the Canada Winter Games in Whitehorse.

Eberle walked away with a smile on his face, scoring two goals and one assist in Team Alberta's 4-3 win over B.C.

"It was a good experience -- I beat Teubert in the final, so it was pretty good," said Eberle, who was still grinning ear-to-ear upon his return to Regina on Sunday. "I was kind of excited when I saw we were playing them in the bronze-medal game. It was fun to be on top, especially. I have bragging rights now."

Teubert didn't mind giving credit where it's due.

"He's a great player; he was THE player for their team," offered the 16-year-old rearguard. "He was a go-to guy on their team and he's a go-to guy on our team. The fact that he won, congratulations. But I want to win a Mem (Memorial) Cup with him. That's why I'm here."

The Pats gave Eberle and Teubert the night off Sunday after playing five games in seven days during the Games, plus a long travel day on Saturday.

Eberle, who still leads the Pats with 24 goals, finished the tournament as Team Alberta's leading scorer with six goals and five assists for 11 points. Teubert, a defenceman, recorded four helpers in a defensive role.

"I think I had a solid tournament," Teubert said. "I played lots of minutes and just tried shutting down the other team's top line."

Unfortunately for him, Eberle was part of that assignment.

"He's a dangler, that's all I've got to say," Teubert said with a laugh. "I'm not as much of a dangler as he is. I just try to hit people and make my moves when I can. He says he got three goals (in the bronze-medal game) but he only had two against us. They were lucky."

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

"I'm glad I'm playing with him now," added Teubert. "He's a tough player to play against."

Eberle echoed those sentiments, praising his Pats teammate as a guy he's glad to have on his side. Together, they're ready to help provide the Pats a little extra shove heading into the playoffs.

Regina posted a record of 4-0-1-1 in their absence.

"I was looking back quite a bit to see what was going on," said Eberle, who was born in Regina but now resides in Calgary during the offseason. "I guess they're doing good without me, so I don't know (if they need him)."

Two of Regina's top midget AAA prospects also participated in the Canada Games. Defenceman Curtis Kulchar and goalie Jeff Bosch helped Team Saskatchewan finish in sixth place, posting a record of 3-2-1. Saskatchewan was knocked out of medal contention with a 5-4 overtime loss to Teubert & Co. in the quarterfinals.

Bosch recorded the shutout in Team Sask's first game, a 0-0 draw against Eberle and Team Alberta.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007