PDA

View Full Version : Cancer night goal therapeutic for Hulaks

nivek_wahs
03-05-2007, 05:08 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=45635ef0-378b-4a32-b7df-92e24073dbe1

Cancer night goal therapeutic for Hulaks

Rob Vanstone, The Leader-Post
Published: Monday, March 05, 2007

Perhaps this column should begin with a Hollywood placeline. The angle almost seems to be scripted.

However, the drama Derek Hulak and his family are encountering is all too real.

Hulak's mother, Alina, is bravely battling cancer in a Saskatoon hospital. The past few months have been an ordeal for the entire family. Even so, a feel-good story unfolded Saturday night at the Credit Union Centre -- where the host Saskatoon Blades defeated the Regina Pats 2-1 in a shootout.

Hulak scored the shootout winner.

And it was "cancer night,'' as termed by many members of the Blades organization.

Breast Cancer Action Saskatchewan was the beneficiary of Saturday's game. The Blades earmarked $1 from each walk-up ticket to increasing breast-cancer awareness, and also raised money by auctioning off the pink hockey sticks that they used during the game.

The proceedings began when Hulak took the ceremonial faceoff. He also provided a memorable finish.

"Things happen for a reason,'' Blades head coach Lorne Molleken said at the Brandt Centre after Sunday's 5-0 loss to the Pats. "For Derek to score the shootout winner on cancer night, it was a great ending.

"Good things happen to good people. It happened to him, scoring that goal. I know everyone was real happy.''

That included Alina Hulak, who listened to the game on the radio at Saskatoon's Royal University Hospital. She was accompanied by her other son -- Swift Current Broncos alumnus Dan Hulak -- at the hospital. The Hulak family was also well-represented at Credit Union Centre.

"It was definitely a little emotional,'' Derek Hulak said after Sunday's game. "At the rink, I try to set the emotion aside and concentrate on hockey. Those are a couple of hours where I can put (Alina's condition) out of my mind.

"But because the game had a cancer theme, the whole team was doing it for my mom and thinking about my mom. It was definitely an emotional night.''

Emotions played into the Pats' decision to trade Hulak to Saskatoon on Jan. 10.

Without the extenuating circumstances, Pats general manager Brent Parker would have been fiercely protective of Hulak's playing rights. Do not be surprised if the 17-year-old left winger reaches the 40-goal plateau -- or even higher -- during his major-junior career.

Parker's compassionate side enabled the deal to occur. Hulak wanted to be closer to his family during this traumatic time, so the Pats dealt him to the Blades for left-winger Michael MacAngus.

The trade has worked out splendidly for both teams. MacAngus, who had two goals against his former comrades on Sunday, is scoring at a point-per-game pace with the Pats. Hulak, meanwhile, has 21 points in 24 games since the deal.

"I'm very grateful to the Pats,'' the classy and composed Hulak said. "On behalf of my family and myself, I can't say enough thanks to the Pats organization and the Blades organization for making it a lot easier on my mom and on my family.''

A timely shootout goal didn't hurt, either. For the Hulaks, the happy ending was therapeutic.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007