PDA

View Full Version : Former Bronco Josh Aspenlind

Scout
03-05-2007, 09:48 PM
To say Josh Aspenlind has been an impact player for the Chilliwack Bruins would be an understatement.

The 20-year-old right wing, in his fourth and final season in the WHL, has provided a bit of everything for the Bruins in their inaugural season in the League.

One of only a handful of WHL-experienced players on the expansion Bruins' roster, Aspenlind has brought great leadership, offensive production - a career-best 20 goals and 48 points this season - toughness and grit, and has been a positive role model for the team's younger and less experienced players.

Aspenlind, who played three previous WHL seasons with Prince George and Swift Current, has also benefited from his time with the Bruins.

As the captain and one of the veterans on the team, Aspenlind has relished the opportunity to take on a bigger role. A product of nearby Langley, B.C., Aspenlind is also happy to have the chance to play closer to home.

With three weeks remaining in their first WHL season, the Bruins find themselves in a heated race with Kelowna for a playoff spot in the B.C. Division.

It goes without saying that Aspenlind will be a key factor in any push the Bruins make to earn a post-season berth in their initial WHL campaign.

Josh Aspenlind's Perspective

On his experience with the Bruins this season...
"It's been great. There have been ups and downs...we had a couple of losing skids earlier in the year that we'd like to forget about. But, it's exciting in that we have done some unexpected things. When you do things like beat teams you're not expected to beat, it makes it even more special. To be able to play against, and beat some of the best teams in the CHL with a group of people other teams may not have wanted is a pretty special feeling."

On his role with the Bruins...
"Coming in, you have to impress the coaching staff, no matter how experienced you are. Being one of the older guys, and being a leader on this team has been something I've wanted to do well, and looked forward to at the start of the season. It's been great for me to get the amount of ice time I've gotten, and it's been a challenge to be a big player on the team. Whether I've done a good job or not, you'd have to ask the guys and the coaches."

On the Bruins' key performers this season...
"Oscar (Moller) has proved himself all season, and so has (Mark) Santorelli. Oscar has proved he can play at the highest level with the best players at the (Home Hardware CHL / NHL) Top Prospects game, and he's going to be something special over the next few years. Santorelli has great vision out there, and is going to be great in this league as well. Nick Holden has been just phenomenal as a 19-year-old rookie defenseman. He's been great on the ice, and is one of our top defensemen, and has been really great off the ice, too. Cody Smuk is a strong, young kid who works hard out there, and has a lot of potential."

On playing close to home...
"Chilliwack is only about 35 minutes from my home, so it's nice to have my friends and family be able to come and watch me. It's not quite as special as when I was playing in Prince George or Swift Current, and only coming out here a couple times a year. But, I still leave two tickets to every home game for my dad. A lot of times, I'll go out to my car after a game, and some of my buddies will be waiting out there for me."

On the race with Kelowna for the playoffs...
"It's been a fun race. I think, since Christmas, both teams have known it would come down to the wire. For both teams, it's like our playoff start three or four weeks earlier than everyone else. We've been playing well lately, and we've won six of our last eight games. I think if we can avoid any stretch of three or four losses in a row, we'll give ourselves a chance to sneak in there."

Jesse Watts
whl.ca