PDA

View Full Version : Blades get boost in push for playoffs

nivek_wahs
03-07-2007, 04:47 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=7503c645-4229-4326-b305-f7d4ae160412

Blades get boost in push for playoffs

Doug McConachie, The StarPhoenix
Published: Wednesday, March 07, 2007

At this point in the Saskatoon Blades' schedule, with only seven games remaining and in last place, any positive news has to be considered great news.

Therefore, the return of 16- year-old defenceman Teigan Zahn -- missing for two months and 24 games with a broken jaw -- couldn't have come at a better time.

"He gives us fi ve defencemen," coach Lorne Molleken said Tuesday as his club buses into Kootenay for a game tonight, the start of a four games in fi ve nights series that could end the Blades' season early. Five defenceman might not seem like much, considering most teams have seven, sometimes even eight blue-liners. But, considering the Blades' tank has been running on empty when it comes to defensive pairings during the past six weeks and some nights there's been only three regulars in uniform, it almost makes you want to jump for joy.

Zahn, despite his youthfulness, was one of the team's top four defencemen leading up to Christmas. He will add depth to that position, but Molleken says there's much more needed from the entire club if it hopes to make the post-season.

Scoring has dried up, both equal strength and on the power play. Unless that changes, the Blades have virtually no hope of catching Prince Albert, now six points up in fourth spot in the WHL East Division. In three of their last fi ve games, the Blades have been held off the scoresheet. In two other games, the Blades scored just one goal in regulation.

Saskatoon's 161 goals is lowest in the 11-team Eastern conference. After Ryan Menei, with a team-leading 35 goals, nobody else on the team has even half that number. Only fi ve players have more than 10 goals. "We have to make sure we put pucks on the net," Molleken says, hoping that some shots will score or players will be able to cash in on rebounds and bouncing pucks.

Even if the Blades start winning, it might not be enough, Molleken says. "We've got to get some help." A combination of three Swift Current wins or Saskatoon losses would put the Broncos out of reach, while the magic number with Prince Albert is fi ve.

Most nights, the effort has been there, Molleken says of his squad. But at the start of the year, with a team as young as the Blades were, it would take a full effort every game from everybody to win. "Some nights we've had every guy going, but some nights it's only been a handful." Next year, "there will have to be some changes," he says.

Kootenay, having already clinched a playoff berth, lost 4-2 to Swift Current during the weekend at home.

One win by the Ice and they'll clinch home-ice advantage through the opening two rounds of the playoffs.

If Saskatoon can come out of their western swing (Lethbridge Friday, Red Deer Saturday and Calgary Sunday), they return home to face Moose Jaw March 14, then fi nish off in Prince Albert two nights later, returning to Credit Union Centre March 17 to end the regular season.

dmcconachie@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007

hobster
03-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Now im kind of suprised the star phoenix didn't mention anything about Konecny and McCrae. I sure hope we have these guys back in our lineup tonight,considering we have only scored 3 goals in our last 5 games. :evil:

Tidball
03-07-2007, 11:47 AM
more screw ups in the paper again. Why cant someone who freakin knows hockey write these articles. Apparently (according to the Stupid phoenix) We need the Bronco's to win and Saskatoon to lose for the Blades to make playoffs. That doesnt make much sense now does it?

hobster
03-07-2007, 11:57 AM
I know your right, i can't stand doug McConachee maybe it's time to let Cory Wolf take over fulltime .McConachee was saying we were done pretty much a mounth ago,he was saying it was must win time geesh. :burningma

Bran
03-07-2007, 12:25 PM
They're right...read it again, I think you misunderstood.

It says that any combination of 3 Saskatoon losses and 3 Swift Current wins means that the Blades won't be able to catch Swift for second. Same deal with PA, only that numbe is 5 instead of 3.

Tidball
03-07-2007, 03:45 PM
They're right...read it again, I think you misunderstood.

It says that any combination of 3 Saskatoon losses and 3 Swift Current wins means that the Blades won't be able to catch Swift for second. Same deal with PA, only that numbe is 5 instead of 3.

. "We've got to get some help." A combination of three Swift Current wins or Saskatoon losses would put the Broncos out of reach"

K i get your point. It can go either way though. They shoulda said that it would put Saskatoon out of reach for playoff contention or something. :karate:

howley
03-07-2007, 04:24 PM
So Doug Mcon....said that the Blades were done a month ago? At this point the coffin is nailed shut and being lowered into the ground on this years season. It would take nothing short of a miracle for the Blades to fight back (on the road no less, against very good teams no less) and make the playoffs. So...would this not make Doug's statement a month ago...true? Cause IMO what he said...happened. (Most likely). I know there are errors in the paper quite often but if the guy says something a month ago and it happens. You can't give him crap for that.

Bran
03-07-2007, 05:28 PM
. "We've got to get some help." A combination of three Swift Current wins or Saskatoon losses would put the Broncos out of reach"

K i get your point. It can go either way though. They shoulda said that it would put Saskatoon out of reach for playoff contention or something. :karate:
It won't put the Blades out of contention for a playoff spot...it just means they can't catch the Broncos for 2nd place.

GBG BLEED BLUE
03-07-2007, 05:39 PM
It won't put the Blades out of contention for a playoff spot...it just means they can't catch the Broncos for 2nd place.

I don't think any Blades fan cares if they steal 2nd place,but as long as they steal 4th,and it will be tough and very slim but still possible. In my opinion(and probably alot of Blades fans feel the same way) the Blades should have started the playoff winning streak a LONG time ago,but if they sqweak into the playoffs that is fine with me. The first round opponent would be very tough also,but anything can happen in the playoffs(let's just hope and pray that the Blades can make it there.)

Blades 4 Life!
03-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Just imagine what it would do to all of the young players if they made the playoffs. They would get such a confidence booster and improve them alot more for next year. Everyone predicted that the Blade would not make the playoffs and if they did it would prove everyone wrong and as i said before... a COnfidence Booster!