PDA

View Full Version : Moir to break record...

nivek_wahs
03-07-2007, 05:15 AM
From the LeaderPost... http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=1152c72a-c5e0-436e-9535-cade40d56b21

If Broncos G Kyle Moir gets the call tonight, he will break the WHL record for most-career appearances by a goaltender. Moir played his 229th game on Saturday, tying Jeff Calvert, who set the record with Moose Jaw and Tacoma from 1989-94 . . .

nivek_wahs
03-07-2007, 05:19 AM
I guess I could have just read Keen's Korner... http://jonkeen.blogspot.com/... Sorry Scout beat you to it.

Keen's Korner
Tuesday, March 06, 2007
Record Setting Night

When it comes to leaving a legacy, this about sums it up.

Broncos goaltender Kyle Moir is poised to set a new Canadian Hockey League record for most appearances career in Major Junior Hockey. Tomorrow night's game will be game number 230, surpassing the previous mark of 229 held by former Moose Jaw Warriors/Tacoma Rockets goaltender Jeff Calvert.

We spoke with Calvert on our pre-game show Friday night. He was really unaware of the record until the hype began just before Christmas that Moir could set a new mark. He was very nice about it and I'm sure has plenty of respect for his fellow WHL goalkeeper. "I wish him the best and want to congratulate him, I may not be #1 anymore but at least I'll be #2," Calvert said with a laugh.

Moir would still not have the all-time minutes played mark - he is 100 minutes shy entering the game against the Pats. Danny Lorenz (Seattle Thunderbirds 1985-1989) holds the current mark. Moir could have that record by the end of the weekend.

I chatted with the Broncos goaltender today for a pre-game feature that will air prior to face-off with the Pats. Here's how his career has played out:

2002-03 - 7 games played while being called up and joining the team for their U.S. swing
2003-04 - 46 games played. Shared time with Brent Walker then Blake Grenier after trade deadline.
2004-05 - 60 games played. Grenier was traded to Portland early, enter Andrew Leslie
2005-06 - 65 games played. Logged a lot of games after back-up Travis Yonkman broke his collarbone. Brant Hilton and Russ Monette back-up Moir for a small stretch.
Current season - 51 games played. Will start in game 52 vs Pats Wednesday night.

Congratulations to Kyle Moir.

Sounds like the game Friday night vs the Tigers is almost sold out. Should be a good battle. The Tigers have clinched 1st place in the East Conference but I'm sure would love the WHL regular season title just in case they make it to the league final. Home ice advantage might be the edge in a playoff battle with the likes of Everett or Vancouver.

Moose Jaw kept their playoff hopes alive with a 5-1 win in Prince Albert. That closes the Warriors within 3 points of Prince Albert and 6 back of the Broncos.

Can't wait to chat with Roddy tomorrow in Regina. He always has a good story. I may have a couple for him too. They are never WHL related, and that's the way we like it.

Pat, I guess we'll maybe run into each other too. What's Kevin up to? Maybe I'll give him a call.

Jon

posted by Jon Keen at 10:28 PM | 0 comments

ki17
03-07-2007, 11:30 AM
And you know he will get the call for sure. Nothing is sweeter than actually breaking a record compared to just a tied record. :bounce:

Tidball
03-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Thats awesome that Moir will break a record... or 2. But i think the Broncos should have given Yonks a little more playing time this season, hes a great goalie and probably woulda been drafted had he played more. Not to mention hell be the go-to guy next season. Just my 2 cents. Might be a biased though since i know the guy, but congrats Mior NTL. punk rock

Scout
03-07-2007, 04:21 PM
It would have been nice to see Kyle break the record at home in front of the home town crowd. It's a pretty big milestone and for the home fans not to be a part of it just ain't fair.

Scout :(

d-man
03-07-2007, 07:38 PM
It would have been nice to see Kyle break the record at home in front of the home town crowd. It's a pretty big milestone and for the home fans not to be a part of it just ain't fair.

Scout :(

Would have been nice but too late. Moir started in Regina, record broken. Way too go Kyle :clap: