PDA

View Full Version : It,s not goal tending

grainbear
03-07-2007, 07:57 PM
I just finished spending a couple of nights looking at the game sheets for the Hurricanes. Based on these results I don,t think our problem is in goal . Over 66 games thus far our goalies were stars for 13 games. For an average of 19.7 percent. Leclerc had 7, Maniago 5 and Huston 1. I don,t think we would find many of our other players with that type of numbers. The other thing I noticed and although it seems small in percentage it definitely does come into play in tight games. This is that our success in scoring which was only 11.3 % on 2022 shots, we scored 228 times. The opposition scored on 1885 shots 243 times for an average of 12.9 percent. This means that it is either shot selection by our forwards and d men being poorer then the opposition or that our goaltending is weaker. Our success amongst the 3 stars would seem to indicate that is not the problem in goaltending. Our goaltenders are taught visualization skills, perhaps these mental skills should also be part of the classroom training for the d and forwards. My thoughts only after all I am only a loyal fan trying to help. Go Canes

canes77
03-08-2007, 02:59 AM
Nice work grainbear on all the data, something I normally dont have time for :D One thing I noticed in flipping the numbers around...if the opposition scores 12.9% of the time...that means our goalies only save 87.1% of the shots...and a .871 save percentage isnt that great...and opposition goalies have a .887 against us, still not the greatest...it looks like the team is scoring enough, but as for goals against, my guess is a combo of poor goaltending and poor team defense.

loudi94
03-08-2007, 08:04 AM
The problem I have with our goalies (specifically Leclerc) was the timing and quality of the goals allowed. Stats don't reflect bad goals that can deflate a team.

shushu
03-08-2007, 11:26 AM
a bit off topic but how do you beat the tig's 3-2 and lose three before that to bottom dwelling teams, the problem is way bigger that goaltending and stats............................

moon
03-08-2007, 06:36 PM
a bit off topic but how do you beat the tig's 3-2 and lose three before that to bottom dwelling teams, the problem is way bigger that goaltending and stats............................

I know what you mean.

How they lost to MJ twice and Chilliwack is beyond me. I know two of those games were on the road and those teams are battling for play-off spots as well but those are games you have to win if you want to be in the play-offs.

The main problem with the goaltending for me is the lack of big saves and the soft goals at horrible times. It seems too often the goalies have failed to make a big save when the team is up one or down one and have let in killer goals to let teams back into the game or put them up by two. It is not necessarily the lack of saves, although that is a problem in my books, it is the timing of the goals that has killed this team.

Not fair to put all the blame on the goalies but realistically they have not been good enough this year. Especially in the division that Lethbridge is in. .871 sv percentage is not just a result of bad defensive play in front of you. It is a combination of both bad defense and bad goaltending.

grainbear
03-08-2007, 08:55 PM
A valuable statistic that would help in this whole assessment would be if somehow you came up with a factor of goals against and for against the time played and also incorportating the number of players on the ice at the time. I think the first part of the formula could work something like this.

5 on 5 would be 100%
3 on 5 would be 120%
5 on 4 would be 90 %
4 on 5 would be 110%

you would then take the minutes each player plays under those situations and mutiply that by the approrpriate % and then divide by the total minutes played you would then need to incorporate the plus and minus goals in each situation to come up with measure of how well each player is during the game. Just not sure how to do the second part , any other ideas ?

shushu
03-08-2007, 09:04 PM
[QUOTE=moon]I know what you mean.

The main problem with the goaltending for me is the lack of big saves and the soft goals at horrible times. It seems too often the goalies have failed to make a big save when the team is up one or down one and have let in killer goals to let teams back into the game or put them up by two.

just like last night , imo manny made a couple of giant saves when the canes needed it for the win. plus the game in lethbridge against the hat earlier in the year,he was the reason for a few wins. the only problem is getting that out of our tenders every night.someone posted earlier about letting one goalie run with the ball maybe thats a possible solution.who knows?

grainbear
03-08-2007, 09:08 PM
I think that is no longer an option with Leclerc out with mono and the prognosis from what I hear could be upto 4 weeks Manni is going to be the man , noticed that Gundmunson was dressed as backup last night