PDA

View Full Version : Eberle easily earning accolades

nivek_wahs
03-09-2007, 04:09 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=63117394-e266-4fc9-8510-552ea1a78b13

Eberle easily earning accolades

Rob Vanstone, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, March 09, 2007

Jordan Eberle may be only 16 years old, but he is about to give the Regina Pats something they haven't boasted for eons -- a prolific scorer.

How long has it been since this WHL club has produced a sniper of noteworthy calibre? The answer to that question is suspended from the rafters at the Brandt Centre.

The banners pay tribute to luminaries such as Dale Derkatch, Dennis Sobchuk, Clark Gillies, Bill Hicke and Doug Wickenheiser. Mike Sillinger will almost certainly join them one day. And so should Fran Huck.

It is not a reach, at least in this estimation, to project that Eberle will reach that echelon.

As a rookie, he is already the most prolific sniper on the 2006-07 Pats, having scored 25 goals.

A 16-year-old has not tallied that often for the Pats since 1992-93, when Jeff Friesen had 45 goals. But the game was drastically different back then, being that Hicke and co-coach Al Dumba espoused a laudable concept known as "river hockey.''

Josh Holden scored 20 times as a 16-year-old. Sillinger registered 18 goals at the same age.

Granted, Sillinger was not relied upon as heavily as Eberle in Year 1, given the presence of veteran forwards such as Darrin McKechnie, Craig Endean, Mark Janssens, Mike Van Slooten and Gary Dickie on the 1987-88 Pats.

Holden miraculously hit the 20-goal mark as a freshman despite playing on a Pats team that was not only poor, but also beset by unceasing turmoil.

The circumstances were conducive for a successful debut season for Eberle. The Pats began the season with a paucity of firepower. Eberle quickly demonstrated that he could help to address the void, given the opportunity.

That is hardly surprising to one learned NHL scout, who said in September: "Watch this kid. The veterans are all going to want to play on the same line as Eberle.''

The scout went on to say: "Eberle is going to be the best Regina-born player since Mike Sillinger.''

Eberle's own expectations were much more modest.

"As a 16-year-old, I didn't really expect much,'' he said. "Coming in, you're playing against guys who are 20 years old, and there is so much skill, speed and strength in the locker room.

"My goal was to make the team.''

The personable Eberle is seldom inclined to make a big deal of himself. When asked about individual accomplishments, he is quick to credit linemates Garrett Festerling and Michael MacAngus. The troika collaborated on a picturesque, tic-tac-toe goal during Wednesday's 5-2 victory over the visiting Swift Current Broncos.

Eberle has been inclined to defer to his teammates as long as he has faced the interviewing process. Take it from someone who knows.

I was introduced to Eberle in April of 2000. He was coming off a season in which he scored -- get this -- 216 goals in 60 games with Hockey Regina's novice tier I Kings.

One day, a friend called with a hot tip: "You have got to see this kid play. His name is Jordan Eberle.'' I took the advice, and was amazed. His name should have been emblazoned on the puck.

At the time, Eberle was a robust 4-foot-7, 79-pounder. His only huge numbers were to be found on the scoresheet.

Even then, it seemed that Eberle was the only person who didn't marvel at his accomplishments.

"I love passing the puck,'' he said at the time. "I like being a team player.''

Back then, his goal was to play for the Pats. And sure enough ...

"It was a dream of mine, growing up in Regina,'' said the 5-foot-10, 162-pound Eberle, whose family now resides in Calgary. "I really wanted to play for the Pats. At 16, I was excited to start the season with the Pats. Now that the regular season is almost over, I realize that this has been a dream for me.

The perfect way to end it would be with a Memorial Cup.''

Eberle keeps talking about the finish. But, really, he is just getting started.

"We'll have the pleasure of watching Jordan Eberle for five years,'' Pats GM Brent Parker with an understandable grin. "He's going to be a treat to watch.''

Actually, he already is.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007