PDA

View Full Version : Blades' heart in question

nivek_wahs
03-09-2007, 04:18 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=c3cd075a-c6b5-4a05-adec-07a3d7fd6d3e

Blades' heart in question

Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Friday, March 09, 2007

The score didn't flatter the Saskatoon Blades, but that's not what bothered coach-GM Lorne Molleken most.

"Sure, you're gonna win and you're gonna lose, but our goalie got hit with a few minutes left and nobody jumped in," Molleken said Thursday, a day after his team was humbled 7-2 by the host Kootenay Ice.

Kootenay winger Michael Stickland bowled over goaltender Garrett Zemlak and drew an interference penalty with 5:38 left in the game. Stickland's transgression initially went unchallenged.

After Stickland served his time, he accepted an invitation to scrap with Saskatoon winger Adam Geric.

"It comes down to heart," said Molleken. "I know because I've played on teams that weren't very good. We've stuck together for the most part this year, but when (the goaltender gets hit) and nothing happens on the ice . . ."

Zemlak was rushed to hospital via ambulance after the game as he exhibited what seemed to be concussion symptoms. However, dehydration proved to be the culprit and the netminder was back to normal Thursday.

Tonight, the Blades (24-38-2-2) visit the Lethbridge Hurricanes (32-31-2-3), who are fighting for their playoff lives in the Central Division. Saskatoon remains six points behind the Prince Albert Raiders (26-35-3-3) for the East's fourth and final playoff berth.

"A lot of guys have been thrust into positions that they're not ready to handle yet, so I have to take that into consideration," said Molleken, "but the biggest thing that I look for is the will to succeed."

The Blades' defence has been a season-long concern. Since December, they've played with four or fewer defencemen most nights. Rookie Teigan Zahn returned to action Wednesday after missing 25 games with a broken jaw. However, the defence corps went back down to four because overager Joe Logan was struck by the flu.

The beat-up blue-liners have surrendered more than a few turnovers and Molleken attributes some of those mistakes to fatigue.

"At the trade deadline, there were some (defencemen) out there, but I wasn't going to trade draft picks for extra guys on other teams. I said we'd bite the bullet and work through it," said Molleken.

"Fatigue is setting in now. Some of the mistakes they're making are simply because of that. That's where our forward group has to help those guys more." Molleken benched his leading scorer, Ryan Menei, in the third period of Wednesday's loss. Meanwhile, centre Justin McCrae remains questionable with a groin injury, and centre Chris Cloud did not make the trip after he broke team rules.

"It's a process that we're going through," concluded Molleken, who is in the third year of a five-year contract, "but it will be my responsibility in the end to sit down and fix it." BLADE BITS: The Blades visit Red Deer on Saturday before wrapping up their trip Sunday in Calgary . . .

Molleken's next win, his 340th, will tie him with Bob Loucks for 12th place on the WHL's list of career coaching victories.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

- Blades (24-38-2-2) at Hurricanes (32-31-2-3),

8 p.m. Sask time

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007

Bran
03-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Ask Dulle what should happen when someone hits your goalie. ;)

Tidball
03-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Ask Dulle what should happen when someone hits your goalie. ;)

Touche', Blades shoulda had someone on stickland right away. Which is why i kinda miss skrudland, he was a decent fighter that wouldnt hesitate to take action in a scenario like that. Props to Geric for fightin him later on, no chance he woulda agreed to go with Klotz, but in a situation like that Klotz shoulda Beelined him anyways.

hobster
03-09-2007, 07:21 PM
The thing with Skrudland was he was more of a liability he could barrelly even skate out there, big body he's only a half ass sjhler if you ask me.