PDA

View Full Version : the wheels have officially fallen off the bus!!!

shushu
03-09-2007, 11:04 PM
tonight game had all the intensity of a mid season practise.it hard to believe this team has any drive towards the playoffs. i dont no if its the team the coach or everything combined, but i wish there was away to collectively let this team no how disgusted their fans are..................

loudi94
03-09-2007, 11:08 PM
In the end they're just kids. I'm just thankful I don't have to waste any money on playoff tickets for just 2 games.

Speaking of kids, should be a good one at Henderson tomorrow at 5.

canes77
03-09-2007, 11:22 PM
tonight game had all the intensity of a mid season practise.it hard to believe this team has any drive towards the playoffs. i dont no if its the team the coach or everything combined, but i wish there was away to collectively let this team no how disgusted their fans are..................

What they need to hear is 4000 people boo them off the ice....I try and boo but no one else usually wants to join me.

Holtby is a good goalie for SASK but we should have at least got another couple goals. Seems we play as good as the opposiition....we beat MH, outplay EVT, then lose to the 3 worst teams in the conference

And what was the coaches plan at the end of the game on the 6 on 4? Six guys cant get the puck within 5 feet of the net, brutal. Is the coaching strategy that bad or are the players not doing what is asked of them?

shushu
03-09-2007, 11:38 PM
What they need to hear is 4000 people boo them off the ice....I try and boo but no one else usually wants to join me.

Holtby is a good goalie for SASK but we should have at least got another couple goals. Seems we play as good as the opposiition....we beat MH, outplay EVT, then lose to the 3 worst teams in the conference

And what was the coaches plan at the end of the game on the 6 on 4? Six guys cant get the puck within 5 feet of the net, brutal. Is the coaching strategy that bad or are the players not doing what is asked of them?

i dont give a ***** who agrees or diagrees with this , this team need a major face lift from the top down. get ready for next year another pile of crap to go. and whether its the team not listening or a clueless coaching staff, who cares there has to be someone in control of it all, and it obvious there isnt.... also at the end of the game dyck said it all the penaltys that where called in the first , it tired out the team in the third period , please dont talk like were stupid the canes shot the puck over the boards like 3 times, maybe the ref should have looked the other way eh dick.........

Porkchop
03-09-2007, 11:51 PM
Its 100% management to blame. They chose this coaching staff and that is were fault lies.

moon
03-10-2007, 12:14 AM
the canes shot the puck over the boards like 3 times, maybe the ref should have looked the other way eh dick.........

To be fair the reason they shot the puck over the boards was because they were trying to kill a penalty an awful call on Hogg. But still that was not the reason they lost. Even with the horrible reffing they should have and could have beaten Saskatoon with a 50% effort. Instead it looked like maybe four guys cared out there tonight.

Not sure what was wrong with Fadden but he missed two easy goals and a few other that he should have had. Kudelka looked like he could care less out there and if there is a defenseman worse at keeping the puck in the offensive zone than him I feel sorry for the team that has him.

I don't like to boo the home team in the WHL because they are just young guys for the most part but the way this team plays at times I wonder if that isn't what they need.

They should easily be ahead of Red Deer but because of losses to Saskatoon, Moose Jaw and Chilliwack they find themselves basically out of it. Red Deer has done a great job of giving the Canes a chance late and the Canes have made sure that they stay close enough that fans get fooled into thinking they might do it and then **** the bed like tonight.

We talked about big saves in another thread and there was not one this game. Plus all three goals were very weak in my view.

I don't want to get too much into the reffing because I don't think that was the reason they lost but it was laughable tonight.

moon
03-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Its 100% management to blame. They chose this coaching staff and that is were fault lies.

A few coaching line-up decisions I don't understand.

Why is King not sat more often? Chorneko is effective and gives 100% every game. Matlock is a good ebergy guy as well. King is lazy and ineffective in most of the games I have watched him this year. It amazes me how often he loses the battles for a guy his size. It my view he should sit as often as Matlock and Todd.

Why do Fadden and Boychuk not play more together. I get the fact that he wants to spread the offense out but at this point in the season when it is do ro die and we need every win why not put them together and play the hell out of them. They are unstoppable at times together and absolutely dominant. And if not that why break up the Killer B's? It seems to be such a waste to see Boychuk out there with Detrich and Farmanara. I undertand trying to have three solid lines throughout the season but at this point I think it is time to shorten the bench a bit and put out your best guys together and put them out a lot.

Why is Knudsen in for Kerr? Early on Kerr had some defensive problems but the last half of the season I thought he really started to play well. Knudsen for me just does not get the job done. He isn't physical is a poor skater and is very weak when clearing the puck. Are they trying to justify trading for him? I just don't see him in over Kerr or Bobbee.

shushu
03-10-2007, 12:42 AM
To be fair the reason they shot the puck over the boards was because they were trying to kill a penalty an awful call on Hogg. But still that was not the reason they lost. Even with the horrible reffing they should have and could have beaten Saskatoon with a 50% effort. Instead it looked like maybe four guys cared out there tonight.

Not sure what was wrong with Fadden but he missed two easy goals and a few other that he should have had. Kudelka looked like he could care less out there and if there is a defenseman worse at keeping the puck in the offensive zone than him I feel sorry for the team that has him.

I don't like to boo the home team in the WHL because they are just young guys for the most part but the way this team plays at times I wonder if that isn't what they need.

They should easily be ahead of Red Deer but because of losses to Saskatoon, Moose Jaw and Chilliwack they find themselves basically out of it. Red Deer has done a great job of giving the Canes a chance late and the Canes have made sure that they stay close enough that fans get fooled into thinking they might do it and then **** the bed like tonight.

We talked about big saves in another thread and there was not one this game. Plus all three goals were very weak in my view.

I don't want to get too much into the reffing because I don't think that was the reason they lost but it was laughable tonight.

for all the season ticket holders that sit though this **** it becomes second nature to say ''oh well '' thats the way it goes.meanwhile this team becomes the joke of the dub....................

taylor0017
03-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Dyck and his side kick need to move on. Our defence is really bad ....Knudsen needs to go , put Bobbee in , As bad as Kerr is , he should be in. If I was the coach I would put either Randy King , Dwight King or Vantuch on the power play , and tell them to stand on in front of the net. Do not move unless the puck clears the zone ,then I instruct all players to SHOOT the puck at the net don't try and score from the side , from the back ....shoot at the net . We got maybe 5 shots on ned during the powers plays all night . You can not score if you do not shoot. :burningma

I am not sure what kind of coach we need , but we do need a new one . I am not sure what all the truths and lies were about Hoffard , but at least we played a good game of hockey. He had some good systems . We need to find a coach with some whl expereince as a HEAD COACH . Someone nneds to light a fire under Sasuiks a_ _ , and tell him to get on with producing a very good team , and find a coach that is going to do that.

Not sure if anyone noticed last night , but Sask Coach complained about a penalty and about 30 seconds later , we had a penalty too ......You have to talk to the refs and let them know that you disagree with the call instead of standing behind the bench ..doing ....DYCK .....

Thats my rant and random thoughts for he day :evil:

LHF
03-11-2007, 08:33 AM

How do you figure booing is going to make them a better team. All that does is make you look like an azz. You and some other people seem to forget they are just kids. And it's not easy for them either. Don't you think they want to win? Of course they do. That's why they're here after all.

I don't know where the problem is, weather its coaching, or if the guys are holding their sticks to tight, or if they're trying to do too much individually, or not sticking to the game plan and playing as a team. But I do know one thing, BOOING isn't going to help. Boogaard'd

One more thing 'moon'? What King are you talking about? D. King or R. King.

grainbear
03-11-2007, 09:55 AM
Yes , we are all upset that this team is not going to playoffs. How does booing do anyone any good. You must have your head in the clouds , if you don,t realize that the directors and the GM are unhappy with the results.Once again this clubs record has improved over last year. You can not fault the GM, with the exception of the Knudsen and the Pancyson trade our team got better . This team did battle with inconsistency all year and at times played to the level of much weaker opposition. Biggest disappointment has to be in the lack of leadership shown by Kudelka once he went to the worlds and signed the allmighty deal with Ottwa. Others who I feel let us down were Randy King, Ben Wright, Knudsen . The area were we need to get beter on is the powerplay. We looked good moving the puck around the perimeter but we must utilize the point. We need to bring back Luc as defensive coach, if Dyck can,t work with him then either he goes or learns how to communicate and develop defense . It is said speed kills in our case it was defensive zone coverage.

moon
03-11-2007, 10:22 AM
One more thing 'moon'? What King are you talking about? D. King or R. King.

Dwight. I have heard people complain about Randy but I think he is finea nd really has pl ayed about as well as I would have expected. I think he has been put into some situations that do not really fit with his skill set and at times been asked to do too much. but overall I am happy with Randy's play this year.

loudi94
03-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Dwight. I have heard people complain about Randy but I think he is finea nd really has pl ayed about as well as I would have expected. I think he has been put into some situations that do not really fit with his skill set and at times been asked to do too much. but overall I am happy with Randy's play this year.

I actually think D. King has played himself out of being drafted this year. He's big enough and quick enough to be a great power forward, but he seems disinterested.

Leclerc may have lost his shot at being drafted also.

LHF
03-11-2007, 12:56 PM
I actually think D. King has played himself out of being drafted this year. He's big enough and quick enough to be a great power forward, but he seems disinterested.

I think this is one area where the coaching staff has really dropped the ball. Of course everyone is entitled to there own opinion, but I think Dwight has alot more talent than a 4th line guy. He's got the size and strength, and always wins the battles with the puck. He's an awesome passer, and has the ability to put the puck in the net when given the chance. He should be playing 2nd or 3rd line, and bouncing up to 1st line at times. It's pretty hard for guys to get interested, when they only get 3 or 4 shifts a game. They are ruining this kid, and the coaches had better open their eyes real soon.

Leclerc also, he hasn't played the same since they left him in net in Regina for what 11 goals. What the heck was up with that, why not pull the kid and save his confidence. Not saying it was all his fault that game, but you don't leave a 17 year old kid in net in that situation.

nhl

Rebel66
03-11-2007, 02:28 PM
<snip>How do you figure booing is going to make them a better team.<snip>

<snip>But I do know one thing, BOOING isn't going to help.<snip>

Exactly. Booing will do absolutely nothing to help the situation. Any team WANTS to win, that's why they're there. How on earth is booing a bunch of kids going to make them play better? If anything, it will have the opposite affect.

The Canes and Rebels were in tough this season with some very good teams in their division. If the Canes were in the East you wouldn't all be jumping over your team like this. They would have comfortably made the post season.

(edit: Hmm, after delving into their record perhaps that isn't the case as the Canes have a so-so record against the East this season. Still, a team with a record only just over .400 is going to make the post season from that division.)

The Canes and Rebels both deserve to be playing in the playoffs at the expense of distinctly inferior teams. Yep, I'm not a fan of the current playoff format.

Porkchop
03-11-2007, 02:47 PM
The area were we need to get beter on is the powerplay. We looked good moving the puck around the perimeter but we must utilize the point. We need to bring back Luc as defensive coach, if Dyck can,t work with him then either he goes or learns how to communicate and develop defense . It is said speed kills in our case it was defensive zone coverage.

But the coaches have seen it done this way in semi-pro adult leagues, it must be the correct method. What a brutal mistake it was to axe thereot. At least he knew some basic principles of hockey. Look after your own end first, forecheck the other team, take the body, and put players infront of the net. Talk to your players, communicate, teach, do something. No way, we got to play a ringette style game to win. Losing to some very bad teams as of late is an indication the canes have coaching/management problems.

hockey4
03-11-2007, 07:52 PM
wow, quoting Hogg, "the reffing was terrible..... we win 5-1 5on5..... were a better team than them.....we should be in the playoffs". Um, not here to gloat, but lets give the rebs some credit here, 3rd game in 3 nights, have not faired well against the canes this year. Yes they had 10 pp's, but the canes had 6 and only scored on 1. Thats the first time i have ever watched webtv, and overall very displeased with the canes broadcast crew. They made it sound the WHOLE game that the ref missed calls on the rebs and never the canes. and how is it one sided when its 10-6 for pp's, i could see if it was 12-2 but come on. awful broadcast crew, awful

Tiger Trauma
03-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Well, the canes are now officially gone from playoff contention.

moon
03-11-2007, 08:29 PM
wow, quoting Hogg, "the reffing was terrible..... we win 5-1 5on5..... were a better team than them.....we should be in the playoffs". Um, not here to gloat, but lets give the rebs some credit here, 3rd game in 3 nights, have not faired well against the canes this year. Yes they had 10 pp's, but the canes had 6 and only scored on 1. Thats the first time i have ever watched webtv, and overall very displeased with the canes broadcast crew. They made it sound the WHOLE game that the ref missed calls on the rebs and never the canes. and how is it one sided when its 10-6 for pp's, i could see if it was 12-2 but come on. awful broadcast crew, awful

It was Bailey that said that and I think he was being kind saying it would have been 5-1. The refs did miss calls and make weak calls all game so the Canes crew was right.

The WHL, refs and Rebels should be embarassed after that performance tonight.

In a game in which the play-offs are on the line to have the refs take away all chances of winning is pathetic. I would be fine if we had lost the game because Red Deer was the better team but to have lost because of those calls not only ruins the game but really puts an overall bad taste in my mouth for the whole season. To know that nothing will come out of it because the WHL is fine with horrible officiating makes it worse.

I don't know if it is because they are scared of him, respect him or the league tells them to but I am tired of the BS calls that Sutter gets all the time. I used to have huge respect for him, especially after what he did at the WJC,b ut to see how he and his players whine, the diving and the cheap shots I have lost all respect for him now. The way that Red Deer conducted themselves in the games against Lethbridge was despicable but I guess the league makes sure that it works for them. I actually feel sorry for Med Hat. They are a great team but to face Sutter and the Refs in the play-offs could be tough.

I am dissappointed that Hanzal was able to finish the game and hopefully the Canes do something about this on Saturday.

Bailey was right when he said he wished they could have played the game 5 on 5 but the refs obviously did not want to risk the Rebels losing so that couldn't happen. Also when he said congrats to the Rebels on going to the play-offs but they aren't the better team he couldn't have been more right.

I feel bad for the Canes who showed up with the desparation and emotion that was needed and only had it ripped away by two morons who felt that they needed to decide the outcome.

Edited to add: That was me holding back. Much worse was deserved to be said about certain individuals and the game as a whole but I am new to the site and not sure how that is treated here so I held back.

grainbear
03-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Gone for sure

Hogg, Lamb (sure hope the leg is mendable ) , Bailey

Most likely Gone

Kudelka , Vantuk

1987 3 of 4
Dietrich, Famanara , R. King, Knudsen

1988 back
Chorneyko, Fadden, Matlock, Wright, Versteeg, Maniago

1989 back
Banchs, Giofrido, Boychuk, D. King, Todd, Craig , Kerr, Le Clerc

1990 back
Bobbee

1990 posssible
Iwanski, Adamynk, Pillar , Orfino, Murray, Frederickson, Gunderson

1991 possible
Ashton, Wiest, Whitehill, Braies, Fyten, Yadlowski, Sutherland, Gorezen , Lineaker, Weist, Whitehill and Vavra

Perhaps our team song should be to dream the impossible dream, anyway it has been a very up and down year, and perhaps our meltdown earlier this winter before xmas was the psychological factor that made this team so hit and miss. I have enjoyed the season inspite of what has transpired and yes we are looking again at next year. Lets get our guys on the same page and belief it will come together "Dream the impossible dream"

loudi94
03-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Two observations on this game:
1. Reffing killed the Canes momo, but for crying out loud by the end of the season the players should know what is and isn't a penalty. They weren't all bad calls.

2. I too wonder why Hanzal was allowed to finish the game but for a different reason. This Hurricanes team has taken "turn the other cheek" to unprecedented levels. When Dyck called that timeout, I was half expecting (hoping for) a line brawl. With all the skill up front I'd like to see the Canes pick up a couple of bruisers in the back end that can actually win a fight or two.

SectionNDeserter
03-11-2007, 09:29 PM
In a game in which the play-offs are on the line to have the refs take away all chances of winning is pathetic.Sounds just like how the refs won the game for Lethbridge back on Feb 27th. Maybe it really does all even out in the end...

moon
03-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Two observations on this game:
1. Reffing killed the Canes momo, but for crying out loud by the end of the season the players should know what is and isn't a penalty. They weren't all bad calls.

The calls were bad but the real killer was the calls against Lethbridge then the exact same play by Red Deer and no call.

The Hogg call was complete BS, but then Red Deer actually does run the goalie and Maniago ends up with the penalty? Thats what drove me nuts. The combo of bad calls and then similar plays for no calls.

moon
03-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Sounds just like how the refs won the game for Lethbridge back on Feb 27th. Maybe it really does all even out in the end...

Hey if the reffing at that game was as bad as it was tonight than I feel bad fro you and even worse for the league overall because tonight it was not just bad it was seriously as though the refs had money on the game bad.

I do seriously doubt though that Sutter ever has come out on the losing end of bad officiating. If he did it must have been the one time the WHL decided to throw the league a bone so they could point out that he doesn't get favorable officiating.

Rebel66
03-11-2007, 09:34 PM
I
I am dissappointed that Hanzal was able to finish the game and hopefully the Canes do something about this on Saturday.

Edited to add: That was me holding back. Much worse was deserved to be said about certain individuals

Yikes. If that was you holding back saying, without so many words, that an elite player should be injured I wouldn't want to see it when you're on a roll. The Rebels gave the Canes lots of chances to get back in the race but they didn't take them. And the Sutter BS gets a bit much. He sure doesn't get the benefit of the doubt at the Centrium anyway. The Tigers won their last game in RD with a 5 on 3 in OT. (Not that it wasn't warranted but it makes the point)

edit: I didn't get to see the game so what exactly did Hanzal do to incur your wrath so much?

moon
03-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Yikes. If that was you holding back saying, without so many words, that an elite player should be injured I wouldn't want to see it when you're on a roll. The Rebels gave the Canes lots of chances to get back in the race but they didn't take them. And the Sutter BS gets a bit much. He sure doesn't get the benefit of the doubt at the Centrium anyway. The Tigers won their last game in RD with a 5 on 3 in OT. (Not that it wasn't warranted but it makes the point)

edit: I didn't get to see the game so what exactly did Hanzal do to incur your wrath so much?

Cheap shot on Kyle Bailey. Dirty hit by a dirty player.

Without so many words is the key statement to me holding back. If I didn't I may have had some more direct thoughts on what exactly could have been done and some more deserving targets as well.

shushu
03-11-2007, 10:05 PM
the canes had ample chances to gain points on the rebels in there last 5 games an failed to do so , whether the ref played a part in tonight game is secondary. this team is in trouble the next 2 years if this coaching staff remains. you can talk numbers till your head falls off or look to who's coming back next year, and it all will add up to jack sh@t . this conversation about the teams lack of performance will be repeated next year take my word for that..............

loudi94
03-11-2007, 10:45 PM

Without so many words is the key statement to me holding back. If I didn't I may have had some more direct thoughts on what exactly could have been done and some more deserving targets as well.

It was Hogg, not Bailey.

BTW can anyone let me know what Dyck said in the postgame? I missed it.

hockey4
03-11-2007, 11:00 PM
It was Bailey that said that and I think he was being kind saying it would have been 5-1. The refs did miss calls and make weak calls all game so the Canes crew was right.

The WHL, refs and Rebels should be embarassed after that performance tonight.

In a game in which the play-offs are on the line to have the refs take away all chances of winning is pathetic. I would be fine if we had lost the game because Red Deer was the better team but to have lost because of those calls not only ruins the game but really puts an overall bad taste in my mouth for the whole season. To know that nothing will come out of it because the WHL is fine with horrible officiating makes it worse.

I don't know if it is because they are scared of him, respect him or the league tells them to but I am tired of the BS calls that Sutter gets all the time. I used to have huge respect for him, especially after what he did at the WJC,b ut to see how he and his players whine, the diving and the cheap shots I have lost all respect for him now. The way that Red Deer conducted themselves in the games against Lethbridge was despicable but I guess the league makes sure that it works for them. I actually feel sorry for Med Hat. They are a great team but to face Sutter and the Refs in the play-offs could be tough.

Bailey was right when he said he wished they could have played the game 5 on 5 but the refs obviously did not want to risk the Rebels losing so that couldn't happen. Also when he said congrats to the Rebels on going to the play-offs but they aren't the better team he couldn't have been more right.

I feel bad for the Canes who showed up with the desparation and emotion that was needed and only had it ripped away by two morons who felt that they needed to decide the outcome.

Edited to add: That was me holding back. Much worse was deserved to be said about certain individuals and the game as a whole but I am new to the site and not sure how that is treated here so I held back.

To say it was kind to be 5-1....um, without the pp's, the score would be 3-3, and yes one was an empty netter, but guess what, you had to win in regulation anyway. And i fully understand your comments on sutter, why would you want him when you can have micheal dyck :spineyes: . and yes the whl always wants the rebels to win, jsut like last year. You guys should be taking notes from this game, you might learn something. that was our 3rd game in 3 nights including some significant air miles, so if i was a betting man, id say the hurricanes didnt do enough to win. and like i said earlier, the penalties werent 12-2, they were 10-6, a very common ratio in the dub. Just remember, you carry likely the two softest players in the league in boychuk and fadden, so to say we dive and cheap shot doesnt carry much merit.

and you held back. what, more frustration that your team hasnt figured out the formula to be successful. the team that showed up with emotion won the game.

hockey4
03-11-2007, 11:09 PM

to hell it was dirty. try to vent your frustration with your team without crucifying other players who arent worthy of the tag.

loudi94
03-11-2007, 11:12 PM
To say it was kind to be 5-1....um, without the pp's, the score would be 3-3, and yes one was an empty netter, but guess what, you had to win in regulation anyway. And i fully understand your comments on sutter, why would you want him when you can have micheal dyck :spineyes: . and yes the whl always wants the rebels to win, jsut like last year. You guys should be taking notes from this game, you might learn something. that was our 3rd game in 3 nights including some significant air miles, so if i was a betting man, id say the hurricanes didnt do enough to win. and like i said earlier, the penalties werent 12-2, they were 10-6, a very common ratio in the dub. Just remember, you carry likely the two softest players in the league in boychuk and fadden, so to say we dive and cheap shot doesnt carry much merit.

and you held back. what, more frustration that your team hasnt figured out the formula to be successful. the team that showed up with emotion won the game.

Not for nothing, but this is the Hurricanes board. If you're going to troll don't be a prick about it. It's not like Canes fans are dusting off the cobwebs of the Rebels board to slam your team.

hockey4
03-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Not for nothing, but this is the Hurricanes board. If you're going to troll don't be a prick about it. It's not like Canes fans are dusting off the cobwebs of the Rebels board to slam your team.

i came on here to voice my displeasure with the hurricanes broadcast team, and it turned into a sutter/red deer/hanzal hatred thread on behalf of one of your members. i have a right to disagree with him when he takes direct shots at red deer's players.

loudi94
03-11-2007, 11:31 PM
i came on here to voice my displeasure with the hurricanes broadcast team, and it turned into a sutter/red deer/hanzal hatred thread on behalf of one of your members. i have a right to disagree with him when he takes direct shots at red deer's players.

Why wouldn't you have started your own thread? This thread had Canes fans *****ing about enough things. I'm not interested in debating things that I saw with my own eyes.
Hanzal needed a whooping for his cheap shot and didn't get it. Sutter needed to answer for bowling over Maniago and didn't. Story of the Canes season for me.
Yay for Red Deer, they made the playoffs. Good luck against the Hat. Now let it go because I hate the Hat and I wouldn't want to have to cheer for them because of you.

moon
03-12-2007, 12:11 AM

3-3 because of some questionable non-calls in my view. Plus I will give Reimer credit he played very well especially in the first.

The 10-6 BS doesn't take into account the missed calls and the quality of calls. The penalties could hve been 100-0 and it could have been a well officiated game. Just because the number of penalties are close does not represent a well referreed game.

What does being soft have to do with diving? Sean Avery isn't soft and he dives all the time. Same with Jarko Ruutu and Matthew Barnaby. And really don't see what it has to do with cheap shots. Doesn't even address the fact the neither Fadden or Boychuk are the sofest two players in the league.

The Hurricanes came out and had plenty of emotion, were much better than the Rebels and it wasn't until the BS reffing in the second period killed the momentum that they backed down. They could have overcome the reffing and still won but they shouldn't have had to.

Enjoy your win and four game in the play-offs. I used to really respect the Rebels and hoped they did well but from what I have seen from them and Sutter this year I no longer feel that way. Perhaps it was a bad couple of games for them and the refs involved but I have heard the same sentiment about the reffing from other fans and considering the Rebels record it likely isn;t because teams are mad from being beaten by them all the time.

hockey4
03-12-2007, 12:51 AM
Enjoy your win and four game in the play-offs. I used to really respect the Rebels and hoped they did well but from what I have seen from them and Sutter this year I no longer feel that way. Perhaps it was a bad couple of games for them and the refs involved but I have heard the same sentiment about the reffing from other fans and considering the Rebels record it likely isn;t because teams are mad from being beaten by them all the time.

i will 100% guarantee you the rebels take this series to 6 or 7 games and could win it. and what has sutter done this year that has made you so made. Did he go balistic at the game today and thats what made the refs call all the penalties against the hurricanes, not likely. admit it, if sutter suddenly became free and was no longer in red deer, you would likely pleading your BOD's to bring him on.

moon
03-12-2007, 01:07 AM
i will 100% guarantee you the rebels take this series to 6 or 7 games and could win it. and what has sutter done this year that has made you so made. Did he go balistic at the game today and thats what made the refs call all the penalties against the hurricanes, not likely. admit it, if sutter suddenly became free and was no longer in red deer, you would likely pleading your BOD's to bring him on.

He definately has built up a top notch oraganization and is a great coach. In fact that is part of my complaint with him. I wondered if he gets the calls because the refs are scared of him or respect him so much.

I have not once questioned Sutters coaching ability. I would say as a coach he is definately up there with Hay and Constantine as the best in the league and as a GM he is top notch as well. Although I would question his defense this year. The group back there is okay but not a single guy I can say I wished we had on our team. Surprised this area wasn't upgraded. But I guess you work with what you have.

What I take issue is with his and his players constant whinning to the refs. After every call the Rebels always, in the games I have seen of theirs, complain, throw their hands up, send a captain or assistant over to complain, make sure Sutter complains. Do a degree it is done by all but not to the extent that I have seen the Rebels do. They act like they never have done anything wrong and every play the other team cheated them.

Also have seen a number of dives from the players as well.

LHF
03-12-2007, 08:57 AM
the penalties werent 12-2, they were 10-6, a very common ratio in the dub.

That may be true hockey4, but you have to look at the timing of the penalties for each club as well. When one team gets called for all there penalties in one period, and the other team gets there penalties throughout the whole game, that's what makes the difference. And I'm not saying they weren't deserved, but what pizzed me off was that the Rebels were doing exactly the same things the Canes were doing, and not getting called for them. It would have been alot better had the players been able to decide the outcome of the game, not the friggen referees!!

With that said, the Canes aren't in the playoffs because they were inconsistent thoughout the whole season. And alot of that I blame on the schedule. It was a tough one. I still think the Canes are a talented team and should be in the playoffs. We got cheated out of the second season because of the playoff format.

But like I always say, 'What doesn't kill ya, will only make ya stronger...' And with that in mind, and if they don't forget about this year, (which they won't)the Canes will win the Mem cup next year. :thumb:

But hey, congrats to the Rebels for making the playoffs. Hope they do well.

nhl

shushu
03-12-2007, 10:59 AM
That may be true hockey4, but you have to look at the timing of the penalties for each club as well. When one team gets called for all there penalties in one period, and the other team gets there penalties throughout the whole game, that's what makes the difference. And I'm not saying they weren't deserved, but what pizzed me off was that the Rebels were doing exactly the same things the Canes were doing, and not getting called for them. It would have been alot better had the players been able to decide the outcome of the game, not the friggen referees!!

With that said, the Canes aren't in the playoffs because they were inconsistent thoughout the whole season. And alot of that I blame on the schedule. It was a tough one. I still think the Canes are a talented team and should be in the playoffs. We got cheated out of the second season because of the playoff format.

But like I always say, 'What doesn't kill ya, will only make ya stronger...' And with that in mind, and if they don't forget about this year, (which they won't)the Canes will win the Mem cup next year. :thumb:

But hey, congrats to the Rebels for making the playoffs. Hope they do well.

nhl
a bad schedule? bad reffing? do you not think the rest of the league play away for long period of time . look at the hat at the beginning of the year. this team has a terriable coaching staff with no systems in place. when other posters come on to our site and say you have a hard working team with no direction, that a tell tale sign .its funny everyone goes up canes 77 @ss for saying how he feels, then they turn around and blame evreyone and everthing for this teams failures. who should get their head out off the clouds? they should get their head out of their @#@. imo...............

Porkchop
03-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Boogaard'd [QUOTE=loudi94]Hanzal needed a whooping for his cheap shot and didn't get it. Sutter needed to answer for bowling over Maniago and didn't. Story of the Canes season for me.

Nothing happened because our midget gm put together a very soft team. Red Deer is probably less talented than the canes but very much a grittier, hungier team. When two 17 year olds are the teams toughest players that is a problem and one can feel sorry for those kids, they shouldn't be put into those situations but they were thanks to the midget rink rat scout we call our gm. We gave up billsten for him, thanks kootenay. Dyck must want to throttle the little bug. Why didn't versteeg go after a rebel player? Isn't he suppose to be tough? Red Deer was obviously more consistant during the year and earned the playoff spot. How about some tough hitting forechecking forwards next year or is it ringett again.

LHF
03-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Come on Shushu, you have to admit the Canes schedule was brutal to say the least this year. In the month of October they played 15 games in 27 days, with the longest days off being only 3 days. With no time to practice, it's tough. They had played 4 more games than anyone else in the league at that point. That is tough on a young team and they never really recovered from that. And then they never had any real road trips to speak of after that, which is every bit as hard as being on the road. Then they go on a brutal 11 games away from home and 27 days of not playing at home. It was either feast or famine with the schedule this year. And both ways it was equally as tough on them. You can say what you want, we are all entitled to our opinion, and IMO that played a part.

Not saying that was the only factor, there were alot of others as well. And even you have to admit the officiating in this league is horrible, but not just against us, every team. However last night was probably the worst I've seen in a long time. Theissen and Rehman are awful by themselves, put the 2 of them together and guess what ya got? Last nights result.

Oh and one more thing, whenever anyone says we all should boo these KIDS, I will be the first to jump all over that, and openly call him an azz... applause

nhl :groovy: GO CANES GO...next year ;)

canes77
03-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Agreeing with LHF a bit...i couldnt believe how Sutter could yell at the ref for 20 seconds and not get a penalty...then a couple minutes later when Dyck does it, we get 2 min for it...and the rebels posters call us whiners...

Where is the team toughness? Hogg gets a cheap shot to the ear...D. King, R.King, Wright, or Versteeg could have done something about it, but leave our smallest player Bancks (i think it was) to get in his face...even Vantuch could have fought the fellow Euro, imagine that if two 6'5 euros fought!

shushu
03-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Come on Shushu, you have to admit the Canes schedule was brutal to say the least this year. In the month of October they played 15 games in 27 days, with the longest days off being only 3 days. With no time to practice, it's tough. They had played 4 more games than anyone else in the league at that point. That is tough on a young team and they never really recovered from that. And then they never had any real road trips to speak of after that, which is every bit as hard as being on the road. Then they go on a brutal 11 games away from home and 27 days of not playing at home. It was either feast or famine with the schedule this year. And both ways it was equally as tough on them. You can say what you want, we are all entitled to our opinion, and IMO that played a part.

Not saying that was the only factor, there were alot of others as well. And even you have to admit the officiating in this league is horrible, but not just against us, every team. However last night was probably the worst I've seen in a long time. Theissen and Rehman are awful by themselves, put the 2 of them together and guess what ya got? Last nights result.

Oh and one more thing, whenever anyone says we all should boo these KIDS, I will be the first to jump all over that, and openly call him an azz... applause

nhl :groovy: GO CANES GO...next year ;)

thats the way the season goes for everyone . as for the booing i cant speak for canes 77 but letting this TEAM , everyone included know that this is not acceptable hockey for the loyal fans that show up night in and night out should be first on the list. sitting back and smiling year after year will get us another 5 years of maxwell hockey untill someone grows a pair and cans the problem!!!!!!!! ps heres a question, do you honestly believe that dyck will have a new magic bag of trick for next year? and that the coaching will improve? the only thing i dont want is the ryley laydon story where players start leaving the team for one reason or another!!!!!!!!

canes77
03-12-2007, 12:02 PM
thanks shushu...i think you are getting to what i meant by the booing is that the whole team needs to hear it, not so much the young players but the ppl up top...im just frustrated we havnt won a series in 10 yrs...i live in lethbridge, all i want is to see my home team succeed like in the early 90s and in the mid 90s

canes77
03-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Does anyone agree with me that the Canes look tired in the late stages of games? I remember Theoret had a fitness regimen for the players and they seemed to have energy to play 60 minutes or more.

Also, (I believe) I see Parry Shockey at most of the games...I wonder if he wants to coach again, we did ok (WHL Champs in '97) last time he was behind the bench :D

LHF
03-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Please nooooo....not Shockey!!! Do you remember what happened when he coached Moose Jaw? They won what, 14 games all year. Maybe they weren't a real talented group, but he still should have been able to get more than 14 wins. Hopefully he's not in the picture.

nhl

grainbear
03-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Firstly , let me state that I was at my sons game last night and could not make the game. After , reading all the comments both in the media and on this web site the fact remains we lost . I did talk to another refree who was in attendance at the game and asked him honestly what went on. He stated that both officials did not have there best game . However , he went on to state that Rehman was at least consistent. Theisan performance he rated as being completely incompetent and should be reviewed by the league similar to the game in Saskatchewan were the ref was suspended. As I state earlier in the season we need to raise the wages for our officials and I will gladly pay another $1.00 a game if the funds go towards training for officials and wages. We have professional coaches who make a living on the WHL and we need to treat the officals similarly. PS: I am not an offical.

taylor0017
03-12-2007, 05:17 PM
I agree that Dyck was not the best choice as coach. Again it all goes back to the good boys club (the exceutive) Mr. Mcnaughton, Mr Haney , Mr Dyck are all from the LAA at the same time. We need a coach that the kids are going to listen to. We have a great nucleus of players and we need to develop these kids more and add some solid d-men. Maybe bring Theoret back as as assistant. I am not sure who to get , but not Shockey after the MJ thing.I do know that we should not be giving any coach a contract longer then 2 years unless he has a proven record in the WHL as a Head Coach. Any suggestions out there for a coach ? I did notice the Dyck finally showed some emotion and got a bench penalty ...most I seen him get mad all year. ..any thoughts .....

canes77
03-12-2007, 07:17 PM
My bad...I was unaware of Shockey's MJ season...nevermind that suggestion then, haha

moon
03-12-2007, 07:30 PM
However , he went on to state that Rehman was at least consistent. Theisan performance he rated as being completely incompetent and should be reviewed by the league similar to the game in Saskatchewan were the ref was suspended. As I state earlier in the season we need to raise the wages for our officials and I will gladly pay another $1.00 a game if the funds go towards training for officials and wages. We have professional coaches who make a living on the WHL and we need to treat the officals similarly. PS: I am not an offical.

Rehman was definately much better than Thiessen.

shushu
03-12-2007, 07:31 PM
I agree that Dyck was not the best choice as coach. Again it all goes back to the good boys club (the exceutive) Mr. Mcnaughton, Mr Haney , Mr Dyck are all from the LAA at the same time. We need a coach that the kids are going to listen to. We have a great nucleus of players and we need to develop these kids more and add some solid d-men. Maybe bring Theoret back as as assistant. I am not sure who to get , but not Shockey after the MJ thing.I do know that we should not be giving any coach a contract longer then 2 years unless he has a proven record in the WHL as a Head Coach. Any suggestions out there for a coach ? I did notice the Dyck finally showed some emotion and got a bench penalty ...most I seen him get mad all year. ..any thoughts .....

j/k .but he was still the best technical coach we have ever had..imo

taylor0017
03-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Hoffard under Stasuik , might have been better .........Hoffard under Stocker was not good ..at that Stocker was not good .........imo

shushu
03-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Hoffard under Stasuik , might have been better .........Hoffard under Stocker was not good ..at that Stocker was not good .........imo

if that combination ever would take place you me and the rest of the enmax centre would see changed over night. it amazing how a coach with good systems can turn a team around in a hurry. hofford,desjardins, constantine, just a few examples...............but i prefer the" next year" approach to canes coaching :laugh:. wheres the fun in winning all the time... ;)

Porkchop
03-13-2007, 11:02 AM

Why would you say that. little stasiuk hasn't done anything here. He's a scout turned gm that is unproven (kootenay has many good scouts). He gets rid of thereot and brings in who, then moves yellow and kaye with nothing in return for this year. Those players would of helped the forward depth big time ( boychucks numbers would probably be even better, and two lesser forwards would be dropped). If the guy wanted to help the team he would of got a player in return for this year that could help. And the team scored a lot this year because of the wide open style they played which did as much harm as good. Do fans want to watch roller hockey on ice?

aaAlta
03-13-2007, 05:36 PM
I mostly agree with Porkchop. Though Bailey and Lamb were good forward additions, to assist the catchup attempt. But like all the other trades this year, they dont leave you with much to contribute for next year.

But I think staff (stasiuk and dickers) were hoping to squeek back into the playoffs without giving much up. Thats what they tried to do. And I thought the team was going to do it. When they got the first late season win over Red Deer a couple back; and again when they recently beat Med Hat. But they slipped into 500 hockey a couple times too often in the new year, when they needed to keep going 700 all the way.

Most of stasiuks defensive tweaks didnt really make much difference as it turned out. He tried, but Panchyson proved to be a waste and Knudson probably isnt in the top three 87's today by the sound of things here. You might have been better off just playing who you have or had more. And get everyone to buy into defense being a whole team effort too, especially when things are shakey.

And the staff will have to step it up now too, to make the most of things going forward. I think the team is still short about three impact players to get you over the hump and into a good run for the next couple years. And I'm not sure your two first round 92s can be counted on within that window of opportunity. Should be interesting to see what happens through the coming off season and next fall.

grainbear
03-13-2007, 07:58 PM
To me it seems very possible that the problem was between Theoret and Dyck, I believe that Dyck ran the defensive end of things in Vancouver. Is it not possible that there was a conflict between the defesive zone coverage between these two. To me our defensive zone coverage was the weak area of our team after the loss of Theoret. Yes , we got better on the PK as the year progressed but over all we had trouble keeping the puck out of our net and key junctures of games, and we had great difficulty beating the trap type defenses and also engaging our d men when we had a powerplay. Opposition teams were quite content to let us cycle and kill time for them with the puck on the outside of the box or triangle if 5 on 3 . We needed more greasy type goals that Hogg provided for us . It also seemed that we never mixed it up with a forward about 12 feet out between the circles except when our own player moved there with the puck. This allowd the opposition d men to player higher on our dmen and take away the point shots.

Porkchop
03-14-2007, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=grainbear] I believe that Dyck ran the defensive end of things in Vancouver. Is it not possible that there was a conflict between the defesive zone coverage between these two. To me our defensive zone coverage was the weak area of our team after the loss of Theoret. We needed more greasy type goals that Hogg provided for us .

Agree, except Dyck was not the d coach in vancouver. The younger bonner is the first assistant to hay and runs the d-men. I have heard Dyck was a 2nd or 3rd assistant that mostly sat up in the press box. The worst thing they did this year was bring in an unqualified coach to the mix, that was a dissaster. Guys like ruff and thereot were great communicators with the boys and the players learned/responded to them. Also, if the rumours are true it is our hot head gm that is the problem (apparently in the coaches faces telling them what to do and what not to do). There appears to be many issues to this mess and this off season will be interesting. I've got a feeling we are going to once again see alot of player movement (lots will not come back to this).