PDA

View Full Version : Did the Hurricanes ever get screwed by the playoff format

RunTheGoalie
03-10-2007, 05:06 PM
I wasnt paying enough attention, but I just noticed that the WHL has a wildcard crossover this year in the Eastern Conference, but only for the Eastern Division: IE: if the 5th place team in the East was better than the 4th place team in the Central, the 5th place team would take that playoff spot.

All well and fine, based on the 6-5 division alignment, but looking at some of the teams to make the playoffs in recent years, it is a shame that the WHL didn't have the foresight to make the crossover apply both ways, and in both conferences.

If the League had done this, Lethbridge would actually be the third seed in the East, rather than facing elimination tonight for no reason other than a fluke of geography.

loudi94
03-10-2007, 05:18 PM
As a Hurricanes fan, I don't particularly think they're worthy of a playoff spot if they can't beat out Red Deer. Take the higher draft pick for missing the playoffs instead of 4 and out against Medicine Hat.

Bran
03-10-2007, 05:28 PM
The crossover working both ways would still put teams in the east at a disadvantage. The only truly fair way would be a 1-8 conference playoff. It's going to be even tougher after next year with 6 teams in the central. I don't understand why they don't put Kootenay back in BC, leaving two 11 team conferences, and do the crossover.

Having said that, Lethbridge isn't facing elimination simply because they're in a tough division. They've been inconsistent all year. They knew they were in a tough division and knew they would have to work hard every night and they didn't do that. The Hurricanes probably deserve to be in the playoffs over MJ/PA/Saskatoon (whichever of those teams makes it) and the playoff system isn't necessarily fair, but they knew long ago what they were up against and didn't do what they had to do to stay in there.

hockey4
03-11-2007, 12:33 AM
As a Hurricanes fan, I don't particularly think they're worthy of a playoff spot if they can't beat out Red Deer. Take the higher draft pick for missing the playoffs instead of 4 and out against Medicine Hat.

I wouldnt peg red deer as a bad team they have managed to beat the top 6 teams in the league edleast once with the exception os everett. Plus, red deer plays hard against med hat. In fact you guys seem to do not bad against them either. And from reading on other boards, dorsett is now gone till the second round, and judging from the hat's record the last 6 games and how they have won those games, i would want med hat over kootenay.

HAF
03-11-2007, 01:28 AM
I wouldnt peg red deer as a bad team they have managed to beat the top 6 teams in the league edleast once with the exception os everett.

They didnt beat Tri City either...

canes77
03-11-2007, 01:31 AM
Leth would be in 4th if they could have won 3 of their past 4 games (vs. MJ, Sask, and PA) so it's their fault they wont make the post season...They knew the format in September and since it wasnt gonna change, nothing to really complain about...It would be exciting though to see a MH-Leth series, been over 10 yrs and they've played as well as them head to head...I guess the only positive this yr is they get a higher bantam pick (as well as TC's 1st rd pick) and a higher Euro draft pick.

SectionNDeserter
03-11-2007, 08:17 AM
I guess the only positive this yr is they get a higher bantam pick (as well as TC's 1st rd pick) and a higher Euro draft pick.I thought the 1st round pick they got from TC was for next year's draft (which could work out better since TC's first round pick this year will almost be in the second round)

RunTheGoalie
03-11-2007, 09:38 AM

Actually, if the crossover rules applied evenly, the Hurricanes would be the 3rd seed in the East, facing Regina. A very winnable matchup. Though in this case, that would ironically give the 5th place team in the Central a far, far easier matchup than the 2nd and 3rd place teams in the Central will have.

Frankly, if Lethbridge isn't worthy of a playoff spot, neither is Swift Current or Prince Albert. It is time for the WHL to adopt a conference playoff format, especially given the League is once again set to put the Eastern Conference at a disadvantage.

Tidball
03-11-2007, 10:00 AM
So with the arrival of the Oil Kings next season, will there be any crossovers? Or simply just who makes it from the Divisions makes the playoffs.

loudi94
03-11-2007, 01:18 PM
I wouldnt peg red deer as a bad team

That wasn't my intention. It's just a matter of knowing what needed to be done to make the playoffs and then going out and not doing it. As of today, the Canes blew every opportunity Red Deer gave them to close the gap.

puckcollector
03-11-2007, 03:21 PM
"So with the arrival of the Oil Kings next season, will there be any crossovers? Or simply just who makes it from the Divisions makes the playoffs."

with the arrival of the kings the top 4 in each divison will make the playoffs. i read that on the whl site when edmonton got approved

RunTheGoalie
03-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Could you imagine if 6th place in one division was better than 3rd in the other? Not very friendly at all. At the very least, there needs to be a 5th place crossover in either direction.

Incidentally, the matchups, as of today, if the WHL went to a conference format from the first round:

1. Medicine Hat vs. 8. Swift Current
2. Brandon vs. 7. Lethbridge
3. Kootenay vs. 6. Regina
4. Calgary vs. 5. Red Deer

1. Everett vs. 8. Chilliwack
2. Vancouver vs. 7. Prince George
3. Tri-City vs. 6. Spokane
4. Kamloops vs. 5. Seattle

The travel would not be that great of a burden in any of these series.

d-man
03-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Incidentally, the matchups, as of today, if the WHL went to a conference format from the first round:

1. Medicine Hat vs. 8. Swift Current

Well then WooHoo :groovy: for the current format. I don't think too many swift fans would want to watch this first round series AGAIN!!

witness
03-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Travel won't be a burden.

Brandon vs Lethbridge????
Regina vs Kootenay???

Last time I checked a map there was about a two province gap between the sites. Travel would be a huge burden.

hobster
03-13-2007, 10:22 AM
well this is the last year lethbridge can complain it will be 4 from each div from now on in

RunTheGoalie
03-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Travel won't be a burden.

Brandon vs Lethbridge????
Regina vs Kootenay???

Last time I checked a map there was about a two province gap between the sites. Travel would be a huge burden.

I did not say "travel wont be a burden." I said "travel won't be that great a burden." I find it intersting how you grabbed two of the three teams with horrible travel regardless - Kootenay and Brandon - to argue this, while tossing the other six matchups.

Yes, there would be some crappy travelling plans for a couple of teams. Overall, however, it doesnt look that bad.

Notwithstanding the fact that the second round uses a crossover. It could very well be a Brandon-Kootenay 2nd round. Maybe if travel should override performance, the league should set every playoff matchup by closest geographical rival rather than by performance.

well this is the last year lethbridge can complain it will be 4 from each div from now on in

Lethbridge isnt complaining. I am. Personally, I don't like the idea of having inferior teams that don't deserve to be there in the playoffs. The problem will not be solved next year, as I am very willing to bet that the 5th place team in one division will often be better than the 4th place team in the other. That the divisions will be balanced will not change the fact that the rules for making the playoffs are inequitable.

hobster
03-13-2007, 01:07 PM
why they are doing this is plainly because the whl wants first round rivalreys. nhl3 Wich i don't mind, the best teams will eventually meet up in the second anyway as per ussiuall.

PGFlyfisher
03-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Lethbridge is getting a raw deal, plain and simple. Just like the Blazers did last year and the list goes on. The Dub should follow the NHL playoff format.

Creating rivalries in the first round is a great idea, but it' s at the expense of more deserving teams and their fans IMO.