PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Clinch Play-off Birth

Scout
03-11-2007, 07:32 AM
Broncos Clinch Playoff Birth
MAR 10 - The Swift Current Broncos, thanks to back to back wins against the Central Division leading Medicine Hat Tigers and Eastern Division leading Brandon Wheat Kings, have clinched a playoff birth for the 2nd straight season.

The Broncos win against the Wheat Kings on Saturday night combined with Moose Jaw's loss secured a spot in the 1st round of the playoffs. The Broncos first round opponent remains to be determined with 3 games remaining in the 2006/07 regular season.

The Broncos organization thanks their fans for the generous support this weekend with an average attendance of 2,281 including the team's first official sellout since the 1993 playoff's of 2,453 people on Friday night.

Scout
03-11-2007, 07:39 AM
Last updated at 10:56 PM on 10/03/07

Hot Broncos keep streaking

BOOSTER STAFF
The Southwest Booster

The Swift Current Broncos are playoff bound after completing a weekend sweep of the East Division and Central Division regular season champions.
Import forward David Stieler’s powerplay goal midway through the final period was the difference on Saturday night as the Broncos upended the visiting Brandon Wheat Kings 3-2. The Broncos entered the game riding high after knocking off the Medicine Hat Tigers 3-2 in overtime on Friday.
The win guarantees the Broncos a spot in the East Division playoffs, with the Broncos improving to 31-35-1-2 and seven points up on Prince Albert for third place in the East Division playoff race. Their magic number to clinch third place and an opening round playoff series against the Regina Pats is one game. They can prepare for the Pats if they earn a win in Prince Albert on Sunday night.
“That is a huge win for us actually," admitted Broncos defenceman Derek Claffey following the contest. "We clinched a playoff spot now, so we are all pretty happy about that. We can kind of loosen up a little bit going into these next few games, but we still need to work hard to secure third place and hopefully we can get on a roll here going into the playoffs.”
Swift Current improved their home record to 19-15-1-0 after digging out from an early deficit.
Brandon jumped into an early 1-0 lead when Mark Derlago scored his league leading 43rd goal of the season just 32 seconds after the opening face off. Brandon also outshot the Broncos by a 9-3 margin in the opening period.
Swift Current tied the game in the middle period when Zack Smith collected his 10th of the year.
Smith's goal was an emotional one, as the Broncos were playing four-on-four after Brandon's Codey Burki hit Bronco Daniel Rakos from behind right at the Bronco bench. Bronco defenceman R.J. LaRochelle jumped in to fight Burki after the hit, but the Brandon forward did not throw a punch. Following a long break to sort out the penalties, Burki sat out two minutes for checking from behind, while LaRochelle was assessed a fighting major and a game misconduct.
“R.J. is a good player. He is a key guy for us. It’s tough to have him go out. But all of us young guys kind of stepped up tonight and we got the job done,” Claffey said, adding that it is nothing like what the playoff road ahead will be.
“It will be tough, but that’s how it is. You have to battle through it, lots of teams do it. It is no different for us, we just have to come out hard like we did the last two nights and we should do okay.”
Early on Brandon's ensuing powerplay, the Wheat Kings were handed a 1:52 two-man powerplay when Phil Gervais was sent off for goaltender interference.
The Broncos withstood the ensuing shorthanded situation, with Brandon coming up with one hit post for their efforts.
The Broncos benefited from a 1:50 five-on-three powerplay in the final minutes of the middle period, but they were unable to find the mark despite a long stint in the Brandon zone.
Early in the third period Dale Weise sccored his 17th of the year to extend the Broncos lead to 2-1, but Brandon replied 2:28 later when Daryl Boyle scored his 11th goal of the season on the powerplay.
Broncos goaltender Kyle Moir set a WHL and CHL record for minutes played in a career by a goaltender during the third period, surpassing Danny Lorenz (Seattle 1986-1990). Moir also won his 19th game of the year by turning aside 25 of 27 shots.
“We played really well," Moir said of the Broncos effort during his record breaking game. "We cleared a lot of pucks. The guys blocked a lot of shots, especially on that five-on-three in the second period. We did not get down when they came back and tied it up. We kept digging away and got the win.”
Wheat Kings netminder Tyler Plante yielded three goals on 29 shots in the loss.
Brandon, who had won nine in a row heading into Saturday’s contest, dropped to 40-20-2-8 but the Wheat Kings had already clinched top spot in the East Division standings.

Scout
03-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Keen's Korner

Sunday, March 11, 2007
Broncos Edge Wheaties; Clinch With Three to Go

It's now official.

With three games to go in the regular season the Broncos have clinched a playoff spot. A single point in their last three games or a Prince Albert loss in their last four will clinch 3rd in the East division.

3rd in the East . . . . well above expectations heading into this season according to the WHL pundits. I've mentioned it before in this blog that the WHL Broadcasters conducted a poll at the start of the season. The majority picked the Broncos to be out of the playoff mix finishing 5th out of 6th teams, some even had the team in the basement.

Playoffs will be undoubtedly be tough, but you have to admit, the noise from the critics has almost been silenced lately. The blowhards don't have much to rant about these days. The internet arm-chair coaches must be just simmering.

I don't have much time to recap last night's game, the team leaves for Prince Albert in a couple hours to finish the weekend 3-in-3. I'll have a weekend recap coming Monday.

A few things though:

- Last night's win accomplished a few things. 1) it ended Brandon's 9-game winning streak, 2) it clinched a playoff spot, 3) The Broncos have beaten the top three teams in the Conference in a week - Kootenay, Medicine Hat, and Brandon.

- Last night was deja vous for the Broncos. It was exactly a year ago when the Broncos clinched a playoff spot. The similarities are interesting. Last year it was Regina beating Red Deer to help the Broncos clinch a central division berth, this year Regina beat Moose Jaw.

- The entire city of Moose Jaw will be Bronco fans tonight. The Warriors trail P.A. by a single point for the last playoff spot. P.A. has four games left, the Warriors three.

- Tonight's game will be tough on what's expected to be a depleted Broncos line-up. Apparently some injuries have mounted in the last two games. We'll find out later who they all are.

- The Broncos shoot for an 8-game season series sweep of the Raiders tonight.

That's all today. We're on the air at 6:30pm for the pre-game show. Face-off at 7pm on the Eagle 94.1 FM.

Offsider
03-11-2007, 12:42 PM
You have treated the fans to a great weekend of Hockey keep it up all this year the fans us internet arm chair coaches (Quote from Jon Keen) have said you have a lot of talent. But what we seen this weekend was the will to win and not give up when you are down. I think Friday Shindo you played your best game of the year the team needs that. Last night HOLY MACAROV Stieler showed up to play he has got better all year if he comes back 15 pound heaver next year could put up some numbers really finding his grove. Hate to single guys out because both games were team wins everyone showed lots of jump and willingness to compete great job!!

ABOUT THIS (Quote Jon Keen)
The blowhards don't have much to rant about these days. The internet arm-chair coaches must be just simmering.

Jon
You also being an internet arm chair coach, A person that has pointed the finger at players in your post game rap up. Remember us blowhards pay money to support the Broncos and want the Team to be here long after you are gone. After the last time you called me an Idiot because I worried about Bronco finances and wanted to help get some more fans and excitement in the building. I had a talk with a couple of Board members they assured me I was one the rite track and that you did not no all the fax’s and worked for Golden West Radio not the Broncos. So keep the name calling coming

Flathead
03-11-2007, 05:01 PM
This internet armchair coach would like to give out, "a job well done" shout out to the coaches for friday's game. Something I noticed Friday night in the first period Med Hat was having no problem breaking out of there own end using the middle of the ice, we adjusted well and the Tigers had a lot of trouble breaking out for the rest of the game. It was also great to see that they had the boys prepared to play a whole 60 minutes, I even saw Dean showing some emotion on the bench and questioning the ref more than once. Maybe showing some emotion does get the players to play a little harder. Great job guys!

ointhecreek
03-11-2007, 06:03 PM
I even saw Dean showing some emotion on the bench and questioning the ref more than once. Maybe showing some emotion does get the players to play a little harder. Great job guys!
I think thats the most PO'd I've seen him all year was when RJ got a game misconduct. Nice to see that he can get worked up. Good job, gentlemen. :thumb:

Big Ern
03-11-2007, 11:57 PM
I have to say, the guys have majorly found their game. When was the last time we got 6 out of 6 on the weekend? That is amazing!! And to think that two of those games were against Med. Hat and Brandon? UNBELIEVABLE!! And oh the Raiders....OH NO...they are in trouble. We did after all, go eight and zero against them! Great weekend boys, and if we go in confident and play with an edge....and the town gets going....I'm ready for the Pats. Bring it on!! I have a good feeling about this year! It could go either way, but the guys have played unbelievable lately! LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!