PDA

View Full Version : Opinion

Tinner
03-01-2005, 12:15 PM
did you ever get the feeling that no matter how good, bad or indifferent the team plays, its always because of the lack of intensity or because the boys were intense. This is the normal tone of the coaches after every game.

To get to my point, does the team have the talent to go or get by MH in the first round? Or do we have to rely on game by game intensity to have a chance?

It seems like:1.) if the big line isnt going or 2.) our goaltending wasn't good tonite or 3.) the support isnt there or 4.) our D coughed it up all night, are the excuses we hear lots of and I just wonder why this happens?

ramdom thoughts :burningma

D.A.
03-01-2005, 12:37 PM
What would you prefer? That Sutter get on the radio after the game and say, "We should have won that game, but our players just don't have the talent to compete at this level"? What would be the point? Sutter concentrates on the things that are under each player's control - playing the system and giving a strong effort. You have to work within the talent parameters that you have. The reality is that the only reason we have had a winning team at all over the last 2 seasons is because Sutter emphasizes the system and work ethic.

Tinner
03-01-2005, 01:49 PM
because that is the extreme. What he might say is that "we have to work harder to compete on a nightly basis" rather than using the same excuses.
Having been around the block a time or two, sometimes the players can't play in the system you want and you have to design a system they can play in. There is a big difference. My thoughts were not to disbarage the coach or the team, but to evoke opinions as to why we play so good some nights and not others, bearing in mind that everyone has an off day.

grumphy
03-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Sutter is one of the few coaches I have seen that can continually get 15 horse out of his 5 horse motors. A lot of the Red Deer band wagon fans don't appreciate this, the old regulars do.

D.A.
03-01-2005, 05:27 PM
My guess as to the short answer to your question is that it's because they're teenagers, not robots. They're going to have good games and they're going to have bad games. I think the cure to this "problem" is to go watch another team for a few weeks. I believe the consistency here in Red Deer is considerably better than most other places.

Tinner
03-05-2005, 09:49 PM
not to be a stick in the mud but, if anything the Rebels are, under the system they play, as close to robots as you can get. Funny you mentioned that.