PDA

View Full Version : Warriors 1 @ Pats 5 - March 10/07

nivek_wahs
03-12-2007, 03:18 AM
I was too busy yelling and screaming for this game to concentrate and take notes lol... so here is the LeaderPosts view...

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=a71c9c4e-2dce-4da1-bda1-f595cc1cf431&k=9769

Pats beat Warriors to give Pat his first Mayors Cup

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Monday, March 12, 2007

Forgive Kyle Deck for a little harmless self-indulgence.

After five long years in the WHL, Deck wasn't about to pass up his first chance to hoist a championship trophy on Saturday night when the Regina Pats skated to a 5-1 win over the Moose Jaw Warriors.

With a sellout crowd of 6,197 looking on at the Brandt Centre, Regina claimed the Mayors Cup trophy by edging Moose Jaw 5-4 in the season series.

The Pats' reward won't be mistaken for a Cup named Stanley, but Deck treated it like the real thing after accepting the trophy on behalf of his teammates.

"I figured I'd give 'er a little lift (over his head) and see what it was like," the Pats' captain said with a grin. "It was fun and the fans liked it."

The other beneficiary is Regina Mayor Pat Fiacco, who will receive the trophy for the first time since he issued a friendly challenge to then-Moose Jaw counterpart Al Schwinghamer in 2003-04. The Warriors captured the first two Mayors Cup titles, followed by a tie in 2005-06.

"Maybe Mayor Pat called some of the guys on his own (to inspire them)," said Pats head coach Curtis Hunt. "The rumour is he's exited to get that (trophy) in his office. We'll have to get it hand delivered this week."

That's one assist the Pats can't wait to dish out.

"It's our first trophy," noted winger Troy Ofukany, who scored the game-winner. "Hopefully there's many more to come."

Regina's bragging rights weren't the only thing on the line Saturday night. The stakes were considerably higher for the Warriors, who are running out of time in their quest for a postseason berth. The defeat cost Moose Jaw a chance to leapfrog the Prince Albert Raiders and grab sole possession of fourth place.

"Regina's horses were stronger than ours tonight," said Warriors head coach Rene Lemire. "Not too many teams come in here and steal points from the Pats. We battled but it wasn't good enough."

Despite the loss, Moose Jaw remains just one point behind the struggling Raiders, who were beaten twice on the weekend. Both teams have three games remaining.

"Nothing changes," added Lemire. "We have to attack our game Wednesday (in Saskatoon) with everything we have. There's nothing else we can do."

The Warriors started well on Saturday but couldn't sustain it.

Jordan Knackstedt opened the scoring on a two-man advantage, blowing a one-timer from the slot through the outstretched pads of goaltender Tommy Tartaglione.

Regina's Kyle Ross tied it up midway through the second period on an outstanding short-handed effort. Ofukany created a turnover in the neutral zone and found Ross, who picked up the puck just inside Moose Jaw's blueline, flew past defenceman Travis Harmonic and went upstairs on Joey Perricone.

Ofukany gave Regina the lead with 2:26 left in the second frame when he banged home a rebound from Ross.

Regina pulled away on third-period goals by linemates Garrett Festerling, Jordan Eberle and Michael MacAngus. Tartaglione finished with 20 saves, winning for the ninth time in 10 home games.

Perricone made 27 saves in a losing cause.

"It was a game where we had to challenge our guys and I felt they responded very well," said Hunt, whose team won its sixth straight on home ice. "(It was important to) raise the level of our game and understand this was going to be as close to a playoff game that we've had all year. Whether that Cup was in the back of their minds or not, maybe. Maybe we'll take it with us (in the playoffs) because we played very, very well those last two periods."

EXTRAS: It's official. Regina and Swift Current will meet in the first round of the playoffs after the Broncos clinched third place Sunday with a 2-1 win over Prince Albert ... Knackstedt extended his points streak to 14 games ... Pats RW Brett Leffler was given the night off to rest a sore knee ... Regina's next action is Wednesday in P.A.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

nivek_wahs
03-12-2007, 03:26 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=9c680f69-82c1-4c49-9646-970ce7d7d6c6

Ofukany leading Pats into playoffs

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Monday, March 12, 2007
The weather is heating up -- and so is Troy Ofukany.

The spectre of spring has had a warming effect on the 19-year-old winger, whose two-point effort on Saturday night propelled the Regina Pats to a 5-1 win over the Moose Jaw Warriors.

"A couple weeks ago I really wasn't happy with my play and I knew I could contribute a lot more," said Ofukany, who set up a key short-handed goal by Kyle Ross, then added the game-winner. "Over the last few games I'm really starting to come on like I did before. I just want to be playing my best hockey going into the playoffs."

Ofukany's playoff savvy is a big reason why the Pats consummated a six-player trade with the Kelowna Rockets on Dec. 6. His 36 games of postseason experience -- including a WHL-title run in 2005 -- are double that of Regina's nearest competitor, Garrett Festerling.

"One of the first things we said to him when he got here was, 'All of a sudden you lead our team in experience and not only experience but you've been to the big games and had an opportunity to play when the pressure is really high,' " said Pats head coach Curtis Hunt. "Obviously the expectations from us -- and I'm sure from himself -- will continue to rise in those situations. We will be leaning on him and looking to him for that leadership."

Ofukany has no problem accepting the burden -- and sharing his knowledge.

"I played with guys like Shea Weber, who's in the National League, Blake Comeau, Justin Keller, Josh Gorges," he noted. "They're great players and really good leaders. I was a young guy then and I just (tried to learn) from them. Hopefully I can bring it to the young guys here and sort of rub off on them and show them what it takes to win in the playoffs."

Ofukany's first recommendation is to finish the regular season on an upswing. In other words, the urgency to perform at a high level didn't end when Regina clinched second place in the East Division.

"These last three games are the biggest games all year," warned Ofukany. "Good teams always go into the playoffs on a high."

Do the Pats have the makeup of a good playoff team?

"If you would have asked me that question a couple months ago it would have been really hard to say but over the last month our team has really come on," he said. "To do your best in the playoffs you just have to stick to a simple gameplan. You need guys paying the price and willing to do whatever it takes to win. We've shown those attributes over the last few games."

So has Ofukany.

The power forward has been noticeably more assertive of late, breaking out of a prolonged slump with a modest seven points in his last seven games. His goals have come in bunches this season, including five in his first five outings with Regina.

All tolled, Ofukany has a career-high 25 goals and 48 points in 68 games.

"He has had some highs and lows in his time here but his progress continues to be in an upward direction," said Hunt.

"I'm really glad I've been building my game," added Ofukany. "I would not want to be going into the playoffs on a down. I want to be playing my best."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

wardog fan
03-12-2007, 11:01 AM
i hope the pats can get out of the first round for the first time in ten years .. its amazing that a storied franchise like the pats have done nothing in the last ten years or so . not only does the jaw have the upper hand in mayor cups , looks like we have the upper hand in titles to .... hopefully the warriors can keep our playoff streak of not missing the playoffs in ten years and meet up with the patsies in the second round, oh what a series that would be... we should have no problem with the wheaties we own them ....

Bully73
03-12-2007, 11:25 AM
and meet up with the patsies in the second round, oh what a series that would be... we should have no problem with the wheaties we own them ....

Couple problems with your statement. First, you hardly own the WK's. I concede it wouldn't be a pushover series, but I don't see MJ winning. Second, even if you were to win, you would not get Regina in the 2nd round, you would get Medicine Hat.